So scared!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Devin

Argh, I'm pissed. I've had this wonderful summer all to myself...and now school's coming back already?? Well this sucks. I have few friends at school, and they aren't even close. SO my big cheesy fear is, going to lunch at school and not finding a table to sit at...I did have a group of 'friends' I'd sit with during middle school but now that we're going to high school I feel it might be different, and I haven't talked to them in over two months...So I guess I'm afraid I'll sit somewhere and they'll tell me to move, or someone else is sitting there...I just realized I have a fear of rejection [of my many phobias] =[[/font]

Take it one day at a time. Don't assume rejection before anything even happens. Find a table where there are some seats available and ask if that seat is taken, that way you'll know their reaction in advance but you'll be more prepared for their answer. I know high school is terrifying for some people but give yourself time to adjust. Also, try to be active in class so that you can make friends and have people to talk to at lunch.

Devin, the fears that You have is mostly in Your head, not out here in the real life. Sure some people are pure douschebags but those feel even more bad about their lives so they'll send themselves to hell on earth once they realise how horrible they treated people during their youth.

Just try and pretend that nobody will care if You take one those free seats over there; they're supposed to be sit on. Do like Sweet says and try to stop seeing Yourself as someone less than anyone else; You can create a more confident You once You realise that You define how cool You are, not anyone else. You don't need to be someone You're not, just don't go around and think that everyone see You as someone negative.

Devin,

I can TOTALLY relate to this! I always dreaded the end of summer...the beginning of the school year and all the relating social anxiety would really work me over.

In retrospect, looking back at junior high school and high school, the Cafeteria of Doom was a very anxiety-producing place to be. Did you ever see the movie "Heathers"?
It has a very funny scene in a high school cafeteria. The coolest new guy in school, a total wierdo, was sitting at the 'rejects table'. Well, guess what?

If I could give you one piece of good advice, it would be this: March right up to the friends you had in junior high, sit down with them as if they are EXPECTING and wanting you to. With confidence, it's fake it til you make it. Just act totally confident, keep your chin high, smile at everyone, including the class nerds, and just act very friendly. You'll do great.

lonelygirl said:
Devin,

I can TOTALLY relate to this! I always dreaded the end of summer...the beginning of the school year and all the relating social anxiety would really work me over.

In retrospect, looking back at junior high school and high school, the Cafeteria of Doom was a very anxiety-producing place to be. Did you ever see the movie "Heathers"?
It has a very funny scene in a high school cafeteria. The coolest new guy in school, a total wierdo, was sitting at the 'rejects table'. Well, guess what?

If I could give you one piece of good advice, it would be this: March right up to the friends you had in junior high, sit down with them as if they are EXPECTING and wanting you to. With confidence, it's fake it til you make it. Just act totally confident, keep your chin high, smile at everyone, including the class nerds, and just act very friendly. You'll do great.

Devin - What if you looked at it as a fresh start. Its a new year with different people. You can be whomever you want.

Devin,

Does your high school feed from several middle or junior highs? If so, you will definitely be in the same boat as many others. Even if you have only one junior high, so everyone will still know everyone else, you guys will have changed so much over the summer. Friendships and cliques which were formed in middle school, will be so different. If you're bold enough, chat up some people in your class before lunch, if you make some bonds, just say, "hey, ready to go to lunch?", and chances are they'll join you. I've taught in middle and high for many, many years so I've seen the changes and also seen how it's going to be okay. You'll be fine, Devin. Your worries are normal and shared by many. Good luck.

I remember I felt the same way on my first day of school last year. Thankfully I found some friends in my 3rd period class so I hung out with them on lunch.

The first week of school is always so stressful for me. The work overwhelms me, especially since all I do during summer vacation is sit around on my lazy butt. xP

But anyways, I'm hopeing that my friends don't all have different classes or lunches than me. (My school has 3 lunch periods.) I hate having no friends in a class, I'm always stuck siting alone doing group projects on my own.

I hope school goes well for you. I'm sure you'll eventually find some friends. I did. ^^

I was in the same position as you my first year of high school Devin. All the friends that I used to spend time with went to different schools, and I knew no one in my new class. Part of me was very scared the first day, part of me was relieved that, like Colette said, I got a fresh start. It turned out all right. I met one guy in my class, and became friends pretty quickly. I'm glad I did. Later, somehow, I met two great guys from another class, and we spent a lot of time together in school.

A word of advice. If you want to make new friends in your new class you really have to make an effort for it. I did, at first, then I kind of stopped trying, so I got left out. My one friend was the only one I had, I knew no one else in my class. I wish now that I could go back and change my behaviour. Be polite, say hi to your classmates when you meet them, try chatting a little with someone if the opportunity arrive. Let them know you're there!

Like teach said, you are in the same boat as may others. You're not the only one who's alone and scared. If you just put some effort in it, I'm sure that you will meet a friend or two

Good luck ^^

Latest posts

Back