So this is what you do

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooraytio

Reaction score
I don't know if this is a good idea or not. I suppose I'll find out. Here's what's up:

I'm lonely. I think most people are. There're a lot of people and not nearly enough people to be invested in all those people. Unsurprisingly, I tend to think I'm special, in that I'm inclined to think of my loneliness in relation to the broad undercurrent of loneliness I perceive in the world and, as such, am inclined to dismiss my own loneliness as being of no greater importance than that of those around me, and to suppress it in favor of making an effort to put others at their ease whenever I can.

This isn't working out that well for me.

I work in customer service, and part of the reason I stay in it (despite the fact that I hatehatehate it) is that I feel like one positive interaction with a person in the course of a day could make one person feel a little less shitty and closed-off. I think of loneliness (like fear) as pain, and I think pain is the only reason people intentionally hurt other people, so if I can starve the surfeit of human suffering even a little bit I might be doing some real good.

In the meantime...

I have a girlfriend. She's lived with me for a long, long time, and she has no apparent interest in changing that arrangement. She doesn't always understand me, but she always tries. Despite this, I am lonely. Part of it is that I don't have any friends, bar one guy who we hang out with a couple of times a week or so and who doesn't have any interest in discussing anything of more significance than TV or honeysuckle movies. I'm into music and comedy, and I don't know anybody who wants to do anything with either of these, including the girlfriend. I want to create, but I can't seem to do it by myself, and I end up resenting people who have these interests but still pursue a doctorate in anthropology.

Summary: lonely at the job I hate, lonely with the girl I love, lonely in a social pool that seems to have no interest in me or what I want to do.

I'm painting in dark colors and broad strokes here - there are nuances, but I can't/won't articulate them here and now. Besides, this is all meant to be by way of introduction, yes? Here I am. I'll probably see you around. I will try very hard not to be a colossal dick.

Welcome to the site. Hopefully you can find people who have the same interests as you!

Welcome to the site, I do a bit of customer service from time to time (it sucks lol) so I feel your pain. Some people can be ignorant and hard to deal with. Its hard not to bring that anger home.

Hey Hooraytio, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that things aren't going as well underneath all that. :\
Hope you'll find what you're looking for here. Maybe some people to talk to or that you can connect with.

Hi there. I get what you mean. Maybe is the times we live in... As for the interests... Well, when I met people with interests similar to mine, they preferred pursuing them with someone else, not with me. So common interests don't always bring people together.

Some people just click, and others dont. The world we live in seems a little shallow, but it has its bright sides. Don't let few things bother you mess your mood up; either change or get rid of it.

Sometimes having high expectations of yourself or putting others in front of you is a sign of progress or caring; I think I am like that too. You should be proud of it lol. But in my case, I sometimes think I am just being unfair or even selfish towards myself.

One thing I am learning from this journey is that I must start addressing my needs as well as others' (emotional needs, hobbies...etc). Dismissing my issues only led to more self-destruction. Because (cliché alert) if I can save myself, it will be a whole lot easier then to help others. I am also starting to find myself appreciate the smaller things that I never used to.

Thanks for letting me share this in your space. Hope most of it didn't come across as douchy lol. Not sure if any of it relates to you at all, cuz you said you had a large paintbrush, but uhh.... yea... guess it's part of the new me starting to be selfish for myself eh...

Yes.... I did say "self"ish towards myself... might not have made a whole lot of sense there lol.

Latest posts

Back