social intelligence and academical intelligence

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bluey

social intelligence and academical intelligence are two very different things I think most would agree.

I know ppl with a lot of academical intelligence but lack the life skills to get on in there chosen careers as they lack social intelligence. There has been a lot of successful ppl in the world that failed there exams at school and was even classed as being thick and slow. (myself included fall into that statement) But yet it is my belief that when where treated differently by society that well undoutably make us think differently about things and give you the edge in that it well give you the ability to think out side the Box

I for one am most definitely not a conformist and question nearly everything in life. Am certainly not one for rules.

I have lived my live in a very unorthodox way but yet I seem to have moor then a lot of my old school friends and ppl my age who was classed at school as academically intelligent.

My question is would you rather be socially intelligent or academically intelligent. And which one of this do you think would get you moor success out of life and there for make you moor happy?

Just one interesting thing that I know of. ppl with dyslexia or moor common if your a rich person that has got there fro your self and not fro inheriting it. And its moor common in jail. If you fall into them two category's then you stand a much higher chance in having dyslexia. Why? Well nobody knows. But it is my theory that it is cos they was made to think differently cos they struggled academically at school.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.
Only cos it is my Guss that there is a few here that do think very differently to most ppl in the world.

i have dyslexia...
socially intelligent or academically.

right now i think i'm more socially intelligent than acedemically.
i dont have friends and all..but that's cause I'm lazy not really because i'm unable to make friends.. at one point as was unable though...

I think both forms of intelligence can make you happy.

if youre good at books you will find comfort in that and therefore be happy.
if youre good at people they will make you happy.

people make most people more happy than books though.
gah..i dont know which i would pick..

i wish I had more academic intelligence ..so I cant say I wouldnt pick that..
but social intelligence has me happy at the moment :p

undecided!!

I think academical intelligence would be the better thing to have. One could get a good paying job that way.
As for me, I have neither so I'm stuck.

Bluey said:
My question is would you rather be socially intelligent or academically intelligent. And which one of this do you think would get you moor success out of life and there for make you moor happy?

I would go with social intelligence.

I'm not really sure what a successful life is but if it has to do with work, being good in social skills seems to go a long way in that area. Kind of surprising for someone who grew up thinking that success in school was required there.

As far as being happy it would seem that it would be difficult to think your way into happiness where having the social skills to integrate yourself into the world around you would go a long way towards creating happiness.

I could be way off base there. It is just that academic skills never did anything for me and it is just a guess that if i had something resembling social skills that i may not be on the outside looking in.

Bluey said:

I think right now I need social intelligents. It would get me a lot farther with my job right now. Would it make me happier, I don't know I always liked being the odd person that thought for myself, and I never liked conforming to others ways of doing things.
It would be great if I was a mind reader so I could always have the right thing to say and do in social situations, but then again that would be like being a puppet with a hand up my...um....back, and a ventriloquist talking for me.

The greedy part of me wants it all. After all half of my life is over and I'm not getting any younger. :)

Interesting. Having academical intelligence would had differnently made my life easier. Would mean I don't have to use spell check every time I post on here for one. But I think to be socially intelligent is important even in your job. You have to know how to communicate with ppl and how to get on there level if you well.

So am still undecided in which is more important. I think there both equally as important with maybe social intelligence being 1% ahead for me.

Yeah, I stumbled upon this horrible new concept of "social capital" about a year ago (I made a post about it too) and really learning how important all that fraternizing, elbow rubbing, connection making bull crap was in life really bummed me out. Acedmeic inteligence--in the US at least--doesn't really amount to anything.

A quick demonstration of this is always to be found in the want ads of any newspaper. "good communication skills", and "ability to work in a team" are two traits asked for in almost every ad. In contrast, how many job ads have you seen asking for copies of your college transcript?

What can booksmarts really get you? A segment of the population does indeed seem to be impressed by it but if you're a mumbling, introverted dork like me it won't score you much in the friends and fufillment departments ever, even if you had a method of flaunting your inteligence in a manor which isn't ostentatious and obnoxious.

I would totally turn into a blonde, brainless, hedonistic little fuckwit in a heartbeat if I knew I'd have some freinds as a result. Good grades is no compensation for a social life floating in the crapper.

ya i agree i'd rather be dumb and happy than smart and lonely, actually i'm pretty much just average and lonely,

i don't even have the comfort of being supierior to others :(

anyone got any dumb pills, you know i think that would actually be a benifitial invention to the world, no one would have the brains to build and use nuclear arms anymore, yes we would all be blonde and beautiful

:D

................................. my weirdness depressess me..............
:(

An archist said:
Yeah, I stumbled upon this horrible new concept of "social capital" about a year ago (I made a post about it too) and really learning how important all that fraternizing, elbow rubbing, connection making bull crap was in life really bummed me out. Acedmeic inteligence--in the US at least--doesn't really amount to anything.

A quick demonstration of this is always to be found in the want ads of any newspaper. "good communication skills", and "ability to work in a team" are two traits asked for in almost every ad. In contrast, how many job ads have you seen asking for copies of your college transcript?

What can booksmarts really get you? A segment of the population does indeed seem to be impressed by it but if you're a mumbling, introverted dork like me it won't score you much in the friends and fufillment departments ever, even if you had a method of flaunting your inteligence in a manor which isn't ostentatious and obnoxious.

I would totally turn into a blonde, brainless, hedonistic little fuckwit in a heartbeat if I knew I'd have some freinds as a result. Good grades is no compensation for a social life floating in the crapper.

I understand what your saying I really do. I think your academical intellagents would really out shine mine totally. You see what I mean is when I was at school or have been to college I really did struggle to do the work. But yet the ppl I meet would always think am an inelegant guy. Cos maybe the way I come across. But not having the intelligence to do simple academical things like writing up a thousand word assay with out meager grammar mistake and unbelievable spelling mistakes relay dose stop you in life. I mean even in a math exam you need some knowledge of how to spell things. A question I remember I had in an exam was I had to wright the answer out in words. I got the answer and even put it in numbers next to my answer cos I know the spelling was wrong. But still they marked it wrong :( I Guss they expect a 16 year old to know how to spell things like a hundred and thousand.

You see if you can not even fill out an application form then you really do get left in the shittier. Having the academical skills in life really does matter. I don't mean like to be exceptionally clever. But just to have enough to do simple things dose matter. I have always admired ppl like your self. You take this things like its something that ppl well not like you for. But yet its something that comes so easy to you that I have always struggled with. I never wonted to be a brain surgeon. But I do believe that not having the right academical skills in life really do stop you from getting on.

evanescencefan91 said:
ya i agree i'd rather be dumb and happy than smart and lonely, actually i'm pretty much just average and lonely,

i don't even have the comfort of being supierior to others :(

anyone got any dumb pills, you know i think that would actually be a benifitial invention to the world, no one would have the brains to build and use nuclear arms anymore, yes we would all be blonde and beautiful

:D

................................. my weirdness depressess me..............
:(

Interesting about the nuclear arms. I wonder where we would be at if we never had ppl like Albert einstein in the world. Maybe a lot happier? IDK , Maybe that is another Question.

And being weird is what makes us us. I don't know anyone in the world I could call normal.

ya mean ignorance is blizt ??

I don't think I have dyslexia. I think I have loglexia.
I can read and comprehend everything I read...however words dosn't retain for a long period of time for me.
When I try to express myself verbally, I don't use big words.
When I write...it's screwie sometimes.

I've heard I'm a visual learner. I'm hoping Scarlett Johnason might want to to give me
some insight. If she's really good at being my teacher. I'd claim I have a slow learning curve.lol

mmm I guess I could always get implants and a bottle of bleach.
However..it's too late. I'm not ignorance to the fact that I have a penis.
I'd make one ugly *****. Plus i don't think being a crack whore is such a good idea.
mmm..I might not be smart but I aint crazy.

Living in a capitalist society, I'm incline to thinks that it dosn't matter if I have brain
or no brains. I don't have any boobs....SO, It would have to be the moola.

I'm screwed...I don't have any moola either.

Seriously...If I was 6'7" i wouldn't have problems donking a stupid basket ball.
It's a no brainer me thinks....put the ball in the freaken hole.

Lonesome Crow said:
ya mean ignorance is blizt ??

I don't think I have dyslexia. I think I have loglexia.
I can read and comprehend everything I read...however words dosn't retain for a long period of time for me.
When I try to express myself verbally, I don't use big words.
When I write...it's screwie sometimes.

I've heard I'm a visual learner. I'm hoping Scarlett Johnason might want to to give me
some insight. If she's really good at being my teacher. I'd claim I have a slow learning curve.lol

mmm I guess I could always get implants and a bottle of bleach.
However..it's too late. I'm not ignorance to the fact that I have a penis.
I'd make one ugly *****. Plus i don't think being a crack whore is such a good idea.
mmm..I might not be smart but I aint crazy.

Living in a capitalist society, I'm incline to thinks that it dosn't matter if I have brain
or no brains. I don't have any boobs....SO, It would have to be the moola.

I'm screwed...I don't have any moola either.

Seriously...If I was 6'7" i wouldn't have problems donking a stupid basket ball.
It's a no brainer me thinks....put the ball in the freaken hole.

hah, Me thinks that your intelligent enough academical and socially.

words don't retain for long with me nether. And I also think I may be a visual learner all though I hope I do some thinking with ma heard and not other vital organs, sometimes.

I would still prefer social intelligence.

Having the ability to make good friends is better than good grades in school.
(Maybe I do not have much good friends.)

SilentThinker said:
I would still prefer social intelligence.

Having the ability to make good friends is better than good grades in school.
(Maybe I do not have much good friends.)

Or maybe you had to many good grades?

Me thinKs Your a clever cat ;)

Lol I think its good to have both as well. Its good to have a little bit of knowledge academically, and a little bit of knowledge socially. You need to know how to handle both of them because you are definitely going to encounter both of them one way or another.

Most of the time when you are trying succeed in a certain area, lets say be a doctor for example, or a lawyer. You need to be smart academically, you really need to know your stuff, you need to get good grades and everything else to get into those schools. But you also need to have social intelligence because you need to be able to comunicate with patients if you are a doctor, or know how to handle yourself in a court case. So it comes in handy to know how to deal with people.

Even if you dont want to be something like a doctor or a lawyer you need to have SOME academic intelligence and SOME social intelligence to succeed in anything, regardless. Lets say you are a cashier at a grocery store, you need to give change, and balance out your till when your shift is over.Thats your academic intelligence, I mean you need to know how to count obviously. And you also need to know how to be socially intelligent because you need to know how to comunicate with customers and make small conversation with them.

So yeah, both ways is always good :)

hmm...I would pick social intelligence to be honest. I think I would be happier that way. Whats the point in being academically smart if all you can never use it for is just school and any other academic setting? All you would ever know is how to read books, understand the information in them, get good grades and be like a human dictionary, basically, in my opinion. Life isnt all about books, grades and spitting back information.

People are all around us and if we dont know how to deal with them..then what is the point? I'd rather know how to deal with people and form good connections with them, not be as lonely and I think it might be a little bit easier to understand them and understand myself somehow...

Being socially smart also means being street smart. You have to learn how to deal with the people trying to screw you over and mess you up. If all you ever knew to do was to be academically smart...then in the REAL world, which isnt about school and books and knowing your subjects..you would really be in trouble. You wouldnt know how to defend yourself, you wouldnt know how to behave, what to say, what to do

So being socially smart, in my opinion is better.

A lot of people believed that logical people are smart people.People who are less logical are deemed to be less intelligent.

It is harder to be socially smart than academically smart.You can be hardworking at your work or you just memorised all the information and you can score good grades.

Hard work looks so futile to make friends..(My opinion.)

Latest posts

Back