sociopaths

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Trent

this is an audio/video excerpt from a very good book i read about anti-social personality disorder.

[youtube]rMYVpFwLRIk[/youtube]

It can be fun.

But I disagree on the 'absolutely no conscience' idea, since I am diagnosed as a sociopath and I do have a sense of morals. Sociopaths do often have, in fact, some kind of 'rules,' often. Its just very different from how most people perceive conscience. Hurting helpless people is also boring and its something that anyone can do.

then you would be disagreeing with dr. martha stout

here are her basic credentials:

She completed her professional training in psychology at the McLean Psychiatric Hospital and obtained her Ph.D. at Stony Brook University. She served on the clinical faculty of the Harvard Medical School for over twenty-five years and also served on the academic faculties of The New School for Social Research, the Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology, and Wellesley College. Stout currently is in private practice as a clinical psychologist in Boston and resides on Cape Ann, Massachusetts.

she has made it her life's work to study sociiopathy. but i'm sure you know better than she does what constitutes a sociopath.

by a sociopath's very nature, they are unaware that they are different. you can not miss what you never had (conscience). it's like trying to explain the color "green" to a person who's been blind since birth. you simply can not bridge that perceptual gap. by the very nature of sociopathy, you (if you truly were diagnosed as such) have an inate inability to understand what a conscience even is.

I have a sibling who is narcissistic with anti-social features. Living with them is very scary, as they are highly opportunistic.

I completely and fully understand that self-deceptive weakness of what a lot of people consider as compassion. That doesn't make it any less silly. We're not unaware that we're different; we aren't different, we just are more realistic about the world.

Just because don't feel something doesn't mean we aren't aware of it, at least on an intellectual level.

they are unaware that they are different?

I would say in my humble opinion "sociopaths" pride themselves of being different. Does conscience equal altruism or all the layers of American law and cultural upbringing sandwiched? Where the law is different..there are no sociopaths? where's the genetic research? is there test that really works for sociopath diagnosis? the three out of ten is mildly comical.

Well, glad I'm not a sociopath. That portrayal seems very Machiavelian. I do know a man who is just like that. He is trying very hard to get into politics.

IgnoredOne said:
It can be fun.

But I disagree on the 'absolutely no conscience' idea, since I am diagnosed as a sociopath and I do have a sense of morals. Sociopaths do often have, in fact, some kind of 'rules,' often. Its just very different from how most people perceive conscience. Hurting helpless people is also boring and its something that anyone can do.

Interesting, at least on this forum you come off as a sympathetic person to me.

perfanoff said:
Interesting, at least on this forum you come off as a sympathetic person to me.

I'm a good person. This is why I find the diagnosis to be stupid as hell.

Latest posts

Back