Some of my loneliest times are when I'm not actually alone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedolphin92

Reaction score
I could be in a room full of people and feel like no one there really wants to talk to me, like my being there makes no difference whatsoever. Or I could be eating dinner with my parents, with them not saying a word or just staring at their cell phones (And I thought it was people MY age who were stereotypically always on their phones). Even when I'm hanging out with my friends, I often feel a sort of disconnect with them. I am only friends with them because we happen to go to the same school and live in the same dorm building. If I had gone to another school these people would be complete strangers to me and neither of us would be any different because of that. Though I am not alone in the literal sense, these are the times when I feel the most lonely.

Conversely, I could be completely alone in my house or dorm room, with nothing but the internet to keep me company. Communicating with people behind a computer screen that I have never met in real life. I often connect with these people in a way that I never have with anyone in real life. I am technically alone in these times, but I am not lonely.

I don't know if I expect anyone to actually respond to this post...Just venting my thoughts a bit.

I know exactly what you mean. For example, in all senses of the word, I am alone right now. It's 8 in the morning, I'm laying in my bed on my laptop, not a single sound other than my fingers on the keyboard, not a soul around me except my neighbors. However, I'm currently not lonely - I'm reaching out to someone who has the same thoughts and problems as I do, and I think that's sometimes the answer behind this phenomenon. With the internet, you can connect with people who know exactly what you feel like, because you have such a huge and rich pool of people to throw your line into. In your actual real life relations, you are a bit more limited, not to mention things can be a bit more awkward. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends in real life, but when I'm invited to go out to dinner with a group of four others, and said four friends are divided into two couples that love each other, even though I'm with quite a few people, I feel very sad and spaced out.

I've been in classes, and in groups, of 30 or so people, and still felt very isolated. Have been to sporting events where I've sat in a crowd of over 20,000 and still felt isolated. I've been to other cultural events where there has been over 100,000 people, and I've been in the middle of a city where this over a 1,000,000 people .... and I've still been lonely.

Of course, I can be on the internet ... like right now (obviously) ... and I feel just as alone now.

People often seem to confuse solitude and loneliness.

I get what you mean though, i connect alot better to people online than i do in real life as well. It's kind of discouraging to keep trying in real life to make new friends.

Feel free to send me a message if you like.

You know I've always doubted the internet as being a healthy social environment but forums like these are more than interactive agents. Maybe we should use this platform in a better way. Maybe this is the answer for lonely people who're spread out in this world.

I get where you're coming from. It's not the physical presence of someone that matters online or off.

I get where you're coming from. I often feel lonely regardless of where I am; be it a supermarket, social gathering or even this forum. Conversely, I feel least lonely when I am walking by myself.

I agree with what Rosebolt said. There is a world of difference between solitude and loneliness. Solitude is a choice - a conscious decision to be alone at that precise moment.

Latest posts

Back