Starting at a new job

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshinemisa

Reaction score
So I started my new job last week and to be honest, I was on pins and needles on my first day. Don't get me wrong, I've worked in a bakery before so it was just a question of getting use to their way of doing things.

The first couple of days were a blur, 1) because I was still sick, 2) since I was new, I was just told to do whatever (which was fine with me).

Right away, I could see the different "attittudes", those who worked and those who screwed around and worked as slow as possible or not at all.
I was just trying to learn what the expectations were, how to operate certain machines and basically not be a nuisence. Apparently, I work too fast and have attracted unwanted attention. Honestly I was just trying to keep up with the speed of a couple of people.

Now normally my anxiety would be so high because I would think that I'm doing a bad job because I'm slow and just getting in everyone's way. In fact it's the opposite. On my second day the assistant general manager asked how my day was and I told him that I was just trying to keep up with everyone and not slow anyone down. He laughed and said not to worry, and that he had heard many good things about me. The next day, my manager and the assistant general manager were talking when I was just about to finish for the day. The assiatant general manager said that I was doing a good job and to keep it up. He then turned to my manager and said to give me more hours. (I was hired as a seasonal so less than 25 hours per week, but I've been geting 40)

So, now a lot of part timers (they get min 25 hours a week) who slack off ( and the manager knows it) aren't too happy obv. And since I work well with some other fast people I've gotten morning shifts which have pissed off some full timers (they have closing shifts). And apparently my nickname is speedy...

Normally, all this would have sent my anxiety thru the roof. But to my surprize I didn't give a rat's ass (sorry). This surprized me yet, I just didn't give a **** about what they (the people who work in my dept) thought. I was there to do a job and if they didn't want to work, well then too bad!

Sorry for such a long story but, I haven't felt so carefree in such a long time and I just wanted to share and maybe give some hope to those who have a hard time with anxiety or social anxiety or just a hard time in general.

Good job! :)

I enjoyed reading that, it's nice to see that starting a new job doesn't always have to be stressful and scary. I'm glad you're setting such a good example for your coworkers and for all of us here ;)

Keep it up!

Wow that sounds awesome! This sounds like a success story to me - well done!

That is very good, especially handling of such a situation, it sounds you did very well, a good inspiration

Nice work man! Keep it up. Don't let what your colleagues think, bother you :)

I've done some work at the Olympics and it's the same there. Everyone is trying to figure out the right pace to work and all that.

Congrats! This type of possitive experinces help a lot. It's also a good sign that you are willing to give yourself some credit.

Kudos to you sunshine! you described your situation so well and I smiled big at the end.

haha 'Speedy'. Well, I have a little bit of social anxiety, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was before. Plus, I take herbal supplements for assistance. I say just keep up the good work. At my job, I always take my time unless it's something really urgent.

Hey Congrats!
Its true. If you are valuable asset to a company, nobody can say honeysuckle to you. Not even the boss!
So those scrubs that give you cut eye? forget about it. - or maybe they wondering where all your energy is coming from... :p

But really... there will always be workplace politics... so better to just brush your shoulders and walk.

What a nice story! I'm so glad you're doing well at the new job! Certainly watch out for the evil-eyed lazy employees, but it's so awesome that you've been able to impress the managers so fast! Good attitude and work ethic sure go a long way. Don't worry about anything and keep it up champion! :)

So update on my job........

Wow I can't believe that its been 5 months already.......

So, some people have left and some new people have joined the merry band called the bakery. Oh boy!

So the players have changed but the game still remains the same.I feel as if I'm not giving 100% at work but, a friend and some other people have told me that, that isn't the case at all. I know where everything is and what the procedures are so, I'm not running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

It was rough for a while when the whole "hours" issue came up again (I was getting more hours than some) and certain people wouldn't help me or things that I needed to do my job were conviently forgotten to be re-stocked. But, I told my supervisor and manager and his boss whenever I was asked why certain items were not done. I just told them the truth, that the items I needed to do my job were not there and I had told the person in charge of "stocking" what I needed. When I was told at a later time that it was "forgotten", I told my supervisor and manager why certain items could not be done.

It's been frustrating as hell, but, I kept my head down, did my job and went home. Boy did I want to scream bloody hell and fight with these people for being so childish. But, I realized that I would be stooping down to their level and that I am above that.

Still, work has not been the ideal place to be, however, I found out just recently that all of the bakers (they have been there the longest and complain the most and are all guys) have respect for me and have complemented me on how hard I work. For example last Sunday we did not have a stocker (someone who stocks containers, heavy bags of flour, sugar, frozen item skids etc) so, knowing that a person had already called in sick, I got the items we needed and put them away. Now, this is not part of my job but, if I waited til the supervisor came in 1 hour later, especially the frozen stuff would have been close to critical temp. (meaning possibly needed to be thrown out) and the other items like containers and such would not have been dropped til the next day.

Most people in the bakery would have left it and said it's not their job and the supervisor can deal with it. Making an already bad day worse. I chose to make a bad day, better and gained respect from a group of people that now will back me up and help me when I need it. They will even tell the manager to back off or will come and help me, even if the manager tells them not to.

Some people in the bakery (the lazy ones) ask me why I work so hard. My answer to them is, this is how I am, I work fast because this is the only speed that I know. I work hard because life is not easy and you will be rewarded. Some of the lazy ones have started to change a little and if I ask for their help, I don't get as much resistance as before.

My manager's management and people skills lack alot and he gives me alot of grief for being nice and for talking to some of the lazy ones. What my manager doesn't see but my manager's boss sees is the difference in how I can get some people to do things without yelling at them.

Sometimes people tell me that I work too much and help people way too much. My answer to that is this: sometimes you have to give a little to get a little. Last Sunday definetly proves this point. MOnday too, I was the only person to wrap all the baked items and bakers never ever wrap. It's beneath them. However, on Monday, all the bakers were helping me wrap, even when I told them that I was okay, the bakers said that I still had alot to do. I told the bakers that I didn't want them to get behind on their work or get them in trouble. The bakers laughed and said, what's the point of baking more when once I leave for the day there will be no one to wrap?

I may have not won the war but I sense that I have a battle. Score 1 for me!! LOL!!

Have a great day and week everyone!!

You don't hear many stories of the hard worker getting rewarded for it, instead they usually get screwed over in favor of the lazy type that is friends with the boss. It's nice to hear a story where things are working out as they should for once.

Limlim said:
You don't hear many stories of the hard worker getting rewarded for it, instead they usually get screwed over in favor of the lazy type that is friends with the boss. It's nice to hear a story where things are working out as they should for once.

It's true that while most hard workers get screwed over and the lazy ones do get rewarded or promoted, you have to look at the bigger picture.

I've always been the type of person to look at the bigger picture and it's helped with alot of situations..... it doesn't always help in the short run but, it gives you something to look forward to and hope.

I think as well when you are younger, you are quick to reaction to a situation or something someone says. When you are more mature and sometimes older, you realize the value of not reacting and biting your tongue. You realize that the other person/people either want you to react and /or see how your reaction is.

Don't get me wrong, it's been a very long 5 months and alot of holding my tongue and not saying or reacting to alot of situations. Is it passive aggresive? Some would say yes and some would say no. I think it's a matter of picking and choosing which fights to fight and which fights to let go.

Just remember sooner or later that lazy person that got promoted, will eventually fall and get what he/she deserves.

Thank you to everyone for the many nice things that you have said. It has given me lots of hope and inspiration during the darker moments.

Have a wonderful day and week everyone!! :)

Latest posts

Back