Starting over.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragTagblues

Reaction score
So how many people here have considered moving to another country to start over fresh?

It's something I think about all the time and I know if I did ever do it I would completely break all ties with everyone including family (were not really that close for all that I love them all) and old friends. A genuine new start, where you can avoid the mistakes made before.

The problem I find is that England has never really felt home to me, I don't get on well with the people here mostly and a lot of English ways wind me up a little. I'm a little to outspoken and aggressive in my views, which doesn't mix to great with the stiff upper lip.

Is this just a pipe dream, would I just end up with the same issues but in another country? I have done some traveling and I'm in love with Australia/New Zealand; but would it be any different if I were to move?

Has anyone done this? Was it as terrifying as I imagine it to be?

I've done this quite a few times now. I find that it's really easy to fall back into old habits unless you have something particularly socially challenging already waiting for you to start - such as a higher education program or a job. And the willingness to force yourself to actually pursue what you want socially or otherwise.

I didn't find it terrifying, though in my experience, if there's any language barrier it makes it a lot more challenging.

And actually living in a place is tremendously different than being a tourist there. There are certain aspects and challenges to actually living in a place that no one ever considers as a tourist, but they aren't necessarily bad. Just different.

Can I ask how old you are?

My daughter and I consider it....at one piont and maybe it's still what she wants.

It's really weird like this..becuase she's so devistated by everything..even though
she lives a luxgious life style. It's not about the money. It's about being loved.
And you would think...I would do such a thing for a lover.
But it's not like that. It's more about giving my daughter peace and love.
She just wants to leave all the bullshit and heartaches behind.
The biggest heartache my daughter has is with her mother not a man or lover.
Spoke about it all the time....Just me and her as family.
Start a new life for both of us

Its not that her mother dosnt love me. She dose. It was actaully
her morher's ideas and intensions that we be family. I basically
left my old life behind to do that...not to another country...but it
might as well have been. 1000s of miles to places ive never been.
Several attempts I ve made for her mother and I to reconcile.
It was scarry to make those drastic changes.

She continues to seek and cires for her love mother's love even to this day.
I remain at a close distance to my daughter. It's scary for her either way.
Shes going alot at the moment. Something is going to change oneway or the other soon.

A friend once said to me wherever you go the first thing you'll see is the end of your own nose. I think there is some truth in that in respect to not believing that another life in another country is going to drastically or quickly change you as a person, you are what you are.

I know you are thinking of changing country to meet your personality though but I'm guessing that broad national stereotypes aside we're all pretty similar when it comes to appreciating courtesy or disliking discourtesy and basic humanity. You might find that you miss a lot of what you are leaving behind and a bit like your family its the place which you know and which knows you best, even if it can sometimes leave you frustrated.

That aside if its not working and you have a sense of adventure I'd commend anyone who wants to make a change and see the world, just don't expect it to solve all your problems by doing so.

I don't like these English ways either lol. It might be a great idea to move. But I'd say prepare first. Plan faaar ahead. I've thought about moving far from home. But not abroad. I'd not do that unless it was for a lover.

I am all for moving and trying new places...however, as already mentioned, this is not going to "change you", and necessarily allow for a fresh start, in terms of your own self. Also, you never know what it will be like to live somewhere until you live there. I have lived in... 7 different u.s. states, and I can assure you, that visiting them first gave me absolutely no indication what it was going to be like to live there...not necessarily good or bad, but just wanted to point out that it will not be what you expect it is going to be. I once did look into new zealand, and it is very difficult to get permission to work there if you are not a citizen. They have extremely strict regulations on that, and you would have to prove that you have something to offer that nobody else in their country can, and, of course, the job will have already have to be lined up with the employer as well, and the employer will have to vouch for you. This was about 8 years ago I looked into it, but I am sure with the economy it hasn't lessened up any....

Latest posts

Back