Strangers who feel the need to tell you you're shy

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This happened often when I was a teen/early 20-something. I've always been the type to speak out of necessity, and considering the topics discussed by your average person in that age group... you can guess why I barely spoke up ;). As I continue my adult life, though, no one seems to notice my taciturn nature. Whether it's due to self-involvement or acceptance is beyond me. I'm just grateful to be left alone about not saying much.

People can't seem to accept personality differences. It seems if you aren't a bubbly, happy looking extrovert, then you are judged on that.

It used to happen to me when I was a teenager. Looking back I'm sort of glad they noticed me enough to make a comment. They may even have cared and felt sorry for me.

Someone recently told me that I don't seem like ashy guy at all so maybe I've got better at hiding though.

Although, I do almost wonder almost wonder think if when new people remark on someone's shyness maybe it might not be a case of them trying to put you down. I almost wonder if some of it could be motivated by the fact they're actually curious about you and don't know how to get you to come out of your shell.

I've recently been thinking about some early memories I have of my high school years where the popular girls would occasionally tease or make fun of me. At the time I thought they were just being vindictive but I've been starting to wonder if at least some of it was actually their strange way of getting to know a shy guy they didn't know much about.

This used to happen often when I was younger. I'm not shy, but I'm usually quiet. Now the fact I'm quiet is sometimes pointed out by people, and it's just as puzzling. I'm deliberately quiet. Empty vessels make the most noise.. and I may be one for all anyone knows, but I don't have to let everyone know about it.

Latest posts

Back