Suicidal person alert

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkwall

Reaction score
Listen, if someone says they're going to commit suicide we should find some way of contacting the police, end of. It's been done before. I shouldn't even have to say this: there should be some sort of protocol in place. There is a person who has just said she's suicidal: she NEEDS HELP. If we don't have a system in place then eventually someone is going to kill themselves after being on here.

How do we do it? I've contacted both the person and a mod. Does anyone know how to get someone's IP address?

I absolutely agree with this. I am currently trying to do whatever I can, but if one of the mods came here now it would be a blessing. Well, that is if things work out fine and she ends up ok.

I don't think any of them are going to come up on here. I am contacting Steel, as it is coming up to 7 am UK time and he may be up ... but I'm not sure how much help a UK-based mod would be anyway.

EveWasFramed might be able to do something. I am contacting her right now and she usually comes on during this time.

It's a very, very seriouse situation.

Most difficult....

My ex-gf threaten suicide many, many times...and it drove me crazy.
Sometimes she just need attention and was reaching out for help....
Other times she really ment it. :(

Please anyone take a deep breathe...

THIS IS SOMEONE'S LIFE. She posted a month ago about what would you do if you had a month to live. No-one is ******* doing anything.

I am trying to do whatever I can, Little Buddha. Sorry. Tracking someone's IP is VERY hard. Only the mods can do a thing here easily. I've contacted Eve because I think that would be the best chance we have.

I'm sorry Little Buddha....Try to stay level head and detach emotionally...it's most difficult.

Plaese calm down a little bit....It's not your fualt nor anyone's fualt on here.
Yes...it's tradgic, sad and nerve wrecking.

People on here have been trying to reach out to her and she's been trying too.

Yes...I feel powerless over everything....

I pray for her...I pray for her safty. I pray for love and peace to surround her..
Whether i belive there's a god or not...I just pray.

I appreciate yours and Dayvan's efforts, just when I posted the only thing people seemed to be doing was telling me to vontact the mods.

This is what Brian wrote me in a PM:

"We need to form a network of people in different timezones with a 'hotline' to one or two mods/admins via landline or cell phone so we can be on top of this stuff. I mean, among a community centered around the lonely and depressed, this is going to be a recurring problem whether we like it or not, you know?"

maybe we can google around....see if she is on any other forums...and ask their mods to help track her ip too?

Well, I don't think making it seem like there's a manhunt for her is going to encourage her to reach out. But at the same time it can't just be allowed to happen, because we're her friends even if nobody else is. And I know I wouldn't let one of my real life friends just off themselves. I'd punch em senseless if that's what it took. Because no matter what, there's a good day somewhere on the horizon. Even if the earth has to turn a few hundred times first to catch up to it. And if you're under ground, there's no way you'll see it.

I know this from experience. I think most of us can attest to it.

Here is the thing. If we look like at this place has a place that is going to contact the police then ppl may not be so open here has they are. I think if you have made a friend on line and there in pain the only thing you can do is to be supportive. If she/he has not gave you an address on where they live then that's probably cos they don't wont you to have it. The mods here can get any one's IP they like and if you have that it is reasonably easy to find out roughly where a person is living at. I know this cos I have done this myself and doesn't even take that much time. The mods we have here are trustworthy and if I thought any mod here would use that power they have to get an IP and then forward that to anyone (including the police) For any reason at all then I would not feel I could trust this site enough to post here any longer and I think other ppl would feel the same way. The only thing an IP should be used for is banning a troll.

It is unfortunate that some ppl who have come here well end up killing themselves. There is only so much you can do to help someone, Be that on line or IRL. I think for the sake of the majority we have to make ppl feel save in that what ever gets posted here is in confidence no matter what gets posted.

With saying that if I had made a friend on line and I thought they where about to kill them self and I had an address I would call the police in the place they lived at. But I do feel has this Bord has a hole what ever gets posted has to remain in confidence in less the person in question decides to share information on where they live and there personal live.

A psychiatrist or a doctor IRL would not share information on a person with anyone for any reason has they would be struck off if they did. I would hope the mods of this site would act in the same way for the sake of all that come here and not just for the individual.

Bluey has good reasoning. All anyone can do is be a good friend. At least, we know we weren't egging it on. If the police are called on them, it might take them over that edge, and that wouldn't be good. All we can do is be supportive, and even though I wish I could actually help myself, I know the chance of me or anyone else actually helping to the extent that person needs is very slim. Even if we were physically able to stop it, it would just be temporary, delaying it for a day or two. From the bottom of my heart, I hope this person sees the potential in themselves.

VanillaCreme said:
At least, we know we weren't egging it on.

Some forums do, Am glad where not one of them.

VanillaCreme said:
If the police are called on them, it might take them over that edge,

That was another thing I thought off. I am a person where this would apply. So that is a very good point.

VanillaCreme said:
From the bottom of my heart, I hope this person sees the potential in themselves.

Me too.

"I would hope the mods of this site would act in the same way for the sake of all that come here and not just for the individual."

That is such terrifying bullshit. What if she commits suicide? She has a history of suicide attempts and one month ago posted something saying what would you do if you had one month to live.

THIS IS A ******* HUMAN LIFE. This isn't about "spoiling the vibe" in this community. If someone says they feel suicidal, we talk to them - but if they say they're going to commit suicide, we should PHONE THE POLICE. There are loads of cases of people doing this and saving someone's life - just recently there have been two life-saving incidents.

And stop ******* talking about "IRL". This *IS* IRL. A doctor would be making every effort to make sure that person is OK. All the "police pushing her over the edge" is just unspeakable bullshit. In reality they would make sure she receives the psychiatric help she needs.

I need to be away from ALL for a while. An IP should be used for banning a troll, but not saving a human life? Forgive me if this experience has left me nauseated.

little_buddha said:
"I would hope the mods of this site would act in the same way for the sake of all that come here and not just for the individual."

That is such terrifying bullshit. What if she commits suicide? She has a history of suicide attempts and one month ago posted something saying what would you do if you had one month to live.

You are being a good friend and if this was me it is friends like you I would hope I had around me. Sorry you think I type a load of BS though but I only post how I see it.

little_buddha said:
THIS IS A ******* HUMAN LIFE. This isn't about "spoiling the vibe" in this community. If someone says they feel suicidal, we talk to them - but if they say they're going to commit suicide, we should PHONE THE POLICE. There are loads of cases of people doing this and saving someone's life - just recently there have been two life-saving incidents.

By calling the police here could stop other ppl from posting here that might had got given some help here that stopped them from killing themselves. There are two ways to look at that though I do agree. But again I have only posted in the way I look at it.

little_buddha said:
And stop ******* talking about "IRL". This *IS* IRL. A doctor would be making every effort to make sure that person is OK. All the "police pushing her over the edge" is just unspeakable bullshit. In reality they would make sure she receives the psychiatric help she needs.

A doctor would make every effort to make sure that person is OK and he/she would do that with out braking there patients confidentiality. She has not gave anyone here her address so there for has come across has she dose not wont anyone to have it. Like a doctor would we are doing all we can to help but the mods have a duty to not brake that confidentiality in giving someones IP away.

I apologias for saying IRL. You have a point there. I know this is real life I was just trying to say like what a doctor would do. Like if you know the person in a way that was not on line but someone you could talk with in person.

little_buddha said:
I need to be away from ALL for a while. An IP should be used for banning a troll, but not saving a human life? Forgive me if this experience has left me nauseated.

It is human life I am on about. How many ppl do you think would post there most deep feelings here if they thought the ppl who run this site where calling the police where they lived? Its by having that thought here that what we say well not flood over to the ppl that live near us that ppl here (myself included) feel they can post there feelings. That saves life's.

As far as a human life being threatened, I could care less about this forum's vibe. And, you're thinking selfishly about it. You don't know what could push this person over the edge, dude. Anything could make them snap, and break far enough to make them do the unthinkable. You're not in this person's shoes, and you don't know what they are thinking. Perhaps they want to be left alone, or perhaps they figure if one more person bothers them about it, they will do it. You don't know. All you can do is hope they make the right decision. Don't jump on them about it.

Latest posts

Back