Survival of the fittest

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkman

Reaction score
Tonight, I'm overwhelmed by the world... more and more and again and again... overwhelmed by the sheer fact that how insignificant, terribly finite, lost, incomplete, lonely, abandoned, useless and helpless people feel in the face of it all. Was I born just to face this nonsense?? What a cruel game played on people!

We are so utterly incapable of handling this disorder and chaos and images and competition and insecurity of life, made worst in our loneliness and insignificance. Here nobody gives a **** about any morals and/or relationships. Here the fittest survies; here the only thing that matters it seems, is if your delusions are greater than somebody else's, if you have more than somebody, if you are better than somebody, if your dreams can beat somebody else's dreams. All and all, if you can beat the other in continuing your gene, i.e. survival of the fittest by natural selection! Here nothing else matters, but a short-term, deluded, pleasure filled life; you come, make a mess, you die and then you leave your mess for the next generation to clean it up (of course, the next generation does the same). Conflict and violence and misery is taken as part of living; people are ready to say and do any nasty thing to get what they want. The only meaning is the meaning that people take in thier shallow and petty prides over thier personal achievements, glories, status, sex and all of it. Here you have NO value other than your material service, which is so abundant anyhow, that you feel you are worth dust even if you manage to survive. So little appreciation and dignity for being just human here thats for sure!

I hope a better world rises out of the people on this forum.

walkman said:
Tonight, I'm overwhelmed by the world... more and more and again and again... overwhelmed by the sheer fact that how insignificant, terribly finite, lost, incomplete, lonely, abandoned, useless and helpless people feel in the face of it all. Was I born just to face this nonsense?? What a cruel game played on people!

We are so utterly incapable of handling this disorder and chaos and images and competition and insecurity of life, made worst in our loneliness and insignificance. Here nobody gives a **** about any morals and/or relationships. Here the fittest survies; here the only thing that matters it seems, is if your delusions are greater than somebody else's, if you have more than somebody, if you are better than somebody, if your dreams can beat somebody else's dreams. All and all, if you can beat the other in continuing your gene, i.e. survival of the fittest by natural selection! Here nothing else matters, but a short-term, deluded, pleasure filled life; you come, make a mess, you die and then you leave your mess for the next generation to clean it up (of course, the next generation does the same). Conflict and violence and misery is taken as part of living; people are ready to say and do any nasty thing to get what they want. The only meaning is the meaning that people take in thier shallow and petty prides over thier personal achievements, glories, status, sex and all of it. Here you have NO value other than your material service, which is so abundant anyhow, that you feel you are worth dust even if you manage to survive. So little appreciation and dignity for being just human here thats for sure!

I hope a better world rises out of the people on this forum.

Speak for yourself, buddy.

In all seriousness, though, how did you come to these conclusions?

[/quote]

Speak for yourself, buddy.

In all seriousness, though, how did you come to these conclusions?
[/quote]

sorry if the language got you buddy (I'm not that good at english but I try my best)... I'm speaking for myself indeed... as each one of us here is... don't take the post as some claim... it's just my thoughts (of midnight) to challenge ourselves and bounce ideas, without going into absurd arguments over it... no conclusions here, but it feels that a lot of times a lot of our life is just runs on a survival of the fittest principle... I'm not saying there is no compassion in our world... but we all know the problems we share in loneliness... just thinking out loud over it...

I sort of decided to write about this topic rather than just talk of compassion... more to come on the positive side though...

do PM me if you want to talk over it... would be gald to hear your views...

thanks for the reply

Buddhism is one of the oldest religions out there. Older than Christianity and has non of the violent past or history that Christianity does. So in a way you are right. The most successfull religion in the world has come to be so through violence, shedding of blood, and conquering less powerful cultures.

However, Buddhism teaches us the importance of compassion for all beings and the value of passing on knowledge. It teaches us how to rid ourselves of suffering by severing our ties with those attachments that brings us harm. It has done so for 3,000 plus years and continues to do so. So that is proof that compassion, knowledge, and a desire to rid ourselves of suffering and cease creating it for others has a strong survival instinct.

Did you also know that Hitler largely based his decisions on exterminating the Jews by what he learned from the concept survival of the fittest?

I think the universe and the physics that control this reality are set against us. We wouldn't exist if billions of life forms before us who were less capable died to give rise to the VERY few organisms that were more fit to exist. However, if you look at the trend humanity sets for itself. Advances in medical technology now allow for people to exist in this world... who 100 or 200 hundred years ago, would not have been fit to survive.

On the other hand we still wage war and often harm others ignorantly or not in our desire to survive. There is a tao, a duel nature to what you speak of.

We are not cannibals anymore... human sacrafice isn't practiced anymore, at least not ritualistically... slavery is pretty much completely abolished...

In my opinion humans didn't get this far by not investing interest in one another's wellfare... I think much of the problems that occur we create ourselves during time's such as these when it is relatively easy to have survival needs met. Also problems can occur when survival needs are not met.

Crime often tends to manifest itself in settings of poverty.... and it also manifests itself in times where all survival needs are met and greed exists... look at how wall street has been recently...

the tao of this... would also be people's compassion... when catrina hit... tons of people went homeless... and a lot of people reached out to help... and also people who are wealthy and well to do often give out many donations and give back to the community...

So it's really debatable. The universe and the energy it is composed of knows only one way... that was it to exist. It does not judge. it does not have opinions. It just is.

I know for a personal fact that if I had not suffered many of the things I suffered in my life time, I would be a much more ignorant and less wise of a person. Sure I would not have suffered as much if many of the hard times that befell me did not happen, but ultimately if they did not I would be ignorant of such sufferings and relatively speaking I would not be able to appreciate the pain i was not enduring because i would be ignorant of it's existance.

Woah, that was an intense post. Frustration, hopelessness, cynicism of epic proportions.

It reminds me of Albert Camus' description of the Absurd. The human search for meaning where there is none, the contradiction between what one desires and what one gets. He offers to not delude ourselves by the illusions of afterlife and just seize the day, get as much out of life as possible. But when people say that there is no meaning at the end of the day, it really does not entail embracing cynicism as a life philosophy.

Yes, you said correctly: "You come, make a mess and die". Only that "mess" matters. But who says that it must be filled with all that negativity which creeps from your post? Certainly, there are those aspects of life, but there are also the pleasant ones. For example, understanding that your life gives you the possibility to understand the universe in which you were born could give a real good meaning to a life. If we believe modern science (and I think we should) our universe is almost 14 billion years old. You as a human being live around a century, in the best case (at least now, not counting in possible improvements in the future). And yet you were born at such a time when there are means to really understand the universe, because the sciences have lots of figured out, and there is still lots of room for new discoveries. 14billion versus a measly 100 years. You should cherish each and every second of those flimsy years, because they are just a fleeting second in the cosmic time. If our lifespans were infinite, they would have no meaning. We could just postpone anything forever and ever, and no action we do would actually be important. But now, when we have limited time, we have to choose what we want to do, and that understanding that we can't do everything during our life, makes meaningful everything we do.

Understanding of one's place can be meaningful even if that place is meaningless. We may come and go, but we at least understand that (at least some people do). That should encourage us to spend our limited time wisely. The vastness of distances which science tells us truly make us feel alone in the world. But we don't need to look for the meaning of life in general, because our lives can be meaningful in themselves. And even short term things matter. Material things are nothing compared to what you can understand about yourself and your place. Those petty social games might be meaningless, but they give at least something to live for to some people, and we can't judge them just because they choose to chase material gains or social status. But it's not the only way. Everyone can find something in this world that they cherish. For me it's understanding. For someone it might be money, recognition, power, affection, love, educating, supporting others et cetera.

You were born simply because a sperm collided with an egg. How you live that life, however, is up to you. Will you cynically curse that accident of birth or be happy that you were actually born.

Latest posts

Back