talking to strangers

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple Bogey

Reaction score
2 questions.

Do you talk to strangers ?

and

Do strangers talk to you ?

I don't mean at work or workers in shops, I mean people in bus queues, libraries, pubs, night clubs, cafe's etc.

My 2 answers are 'no' - I am happy keeping myself to myself. Like today when I went to the coast taking my photo's. Didn't speak to anybody. Apart from this little kid who said 'penny for the guy' and a few people saying 'hello' when I walked past them.

I think if somebody did come and talk to me I would talk back. I don't think I look approachable or friendly though.

If you're not talking to strangers, you are actually part of the majority, most people, especially in big cities, make a habit out of minding their own business and not talking to just anybody, even for a simple hello, so don't think there's anything wrong with you or something. I live in a small town, so people here still say hello to one another, but it's mostly out of habit rather than genuine interest.

Seeker said:
If you're not talking to strangers, you are actually part of the majority, most people, especially in big cities, make a habit of minding their own business and not talking to just anybody, even for a simple hello, so don't think there's anything wrong with you or something. I live in a small town, so people here still say hello to one another, but it's mostly out of habit rather than genuine interest.

people on here are telling me to approach women and introduce myself. Which is really talking to strangers.

These days I keep myself to myself and don't tend to make eye contact where I feel I don't have to or comfortable with. I'm the same as you. If someone does try to make conversation, then I will try and talk back to them. But bearing that in mind, keeping it very light hearted and basic. I always used to be very opinionated on things. With my opinions not being 'in line' with the mainstream (worldview, the elite etc) I bit off more than I could chew with most people and it left me with 'egg on my face'. I guess these days I'm just waiting for people to talk first and then responding appropriately.

1. No

2. Yes, and it freaks me right out, especially the ones who try to continue a conversation with you like you know them.

Sci-Fi said:
1. No

2. Yes, and it freaks me right out, especially the ones who try to continue a conversation with you like you know them.

In response to number 2, these people often think 'they have known you all their lives' sometimes or seek a connection with everyone and everyone. Though it has to be said, especially in your case, It's not always comfortable with the other party involved. Sometimes not even comfortable for me to so I can relate fully, Sci.

Do I talk to strangers? Sometimes, but there's only a few places I feel comfortable doing so. Occasionally I'll talk to strangers at the gym and usually when I go to a bar or nightclubs I'll usually talk to at least one stranger.

Do strangers talk to me? At bars strangers will often talk to me but besides that very rarely. People might say hello when I go out for a walk, that's about it.

I wouldn't normally start a conversation with a stranger, but would talk to one if someone talked to me.

Edward W said:
I wouldn't normally start a conversation with a stranger, but would talk to one if someone talked to me.

ladyforsaken said:
Edward W said:

This. :)

Same here, sadly. I've often wondered if girls honestly, deep down, want a stranger to approach and talk to them; even though I see their flirting signals (in the street or on my college campus) I often wonder, if they are just doing it because they like what they see or that they actually want me to stop them and talk to them. I also think I'm terrified of keeping the conversation going, since that's supposed to be the male's job

I talk to strangers. Not everyone I see, but if I have something to say, I try and say it. Every friendship starts with 2 people who don't know each other. Not too many people approach me to talk though.

Sci-Fi said:
1. No

actually, in reference to No.2, I tend to do that if a conversation strikes up. especially with seniors and older people. I picked it up from my days in retail, where to talk comfortably with strangers it was best to approach it as if you already know them and you are bringing them into your inner circle, so to speak.
I can usually bring people from a casual nod to smile with a few comments. (usually a joke)
it works well with most people, but I can also see how it could freak out those with social anxiety.

even when I was younger and good looking, nobody really talked to me. I have been in pubs and nightclubs as well.
At work though when I have my uniform on, everybody talks to me. People call me by my first name, want to know my life etc. And over the years I have developed the skills to chat back.

Yes I'm pretty comfortable chatting to whoever, in pubs it's easy, football on the telly you have a conversation. :)

Basically atm i wouldn't bother talking to anyone at the places you are describing as i really struggle i will just walk past for instance and carry on what i'm doing. If someone did come up to me i would talk back as well but i will sound like i'm stupid and i don't think i'll look approachable or freindly either. Already happened to me a couple of times i either give a extremely stupid answer or i just completely embarrass myself, really did kick myself afterwards. ( not literally)

1. No. And I learnt that lesson from ....

2. Sometimes, but usually only to tell me to f**k off, or a variation there-of, or to laugh at me, or make some indication that they consider me ugly.

Latest posts

Back