Talking to Yourself

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost Drifter

Reaction score
I used to speak to myself from time to time as a child, I never had imaginary friends but I’d often explain things out loud to help me understand. As an adult its become a but more frequent, living alone means I get sick of the silence sometimes so launch into these rants or reviews to myself. I’d like to think that I’m talking to a higher being but a lot of the time its me bitching about being me.

I think it became worse when I realised than unless I’m in work then I have no one to talk with and start to feel silent and invisible. Sometimes, after a week off work, I’m surprised by the sound of my own voice when I go back. I’ll also respond to television shows or put a podcast on speaker and respond to the presenters just to break the silence around me. Even say goodbye and hello to inanimate objects when I leave and return to the house. It just makes me feel a little normal saying those things even though the context is not. I don’t do this ALL the time but the occurrences are becoming more frequent whether I like it or not.

So...umm...does anyone else talk to themselves or am I a lost cause? :shy:

Dude. I talk to myself all. The. Time.

It's actually more normal than people think, so don't worry. ;)

I talk to myself and inanimate objects. One of which is my stuffed dog. Sometimes I'll be chatting away to him and then realise that he isn't even in the room...

That's when you need to worry. :(

I also will say apologise to a cupboard if I bang into it.

I talk to myself as well. I would sometimes call it thinking out loud. Like if I'm looking for something or If I'm planning something by myself.

I talk to myself all the time, that's the only way I'll get a reasonably intelligent answer.

Keep in mind I work construction.

I wouldn't worry about committing yourself to loony bin, Lost Drifter. Many people talk to themselves as a way of enabling. That's what I do anyways.

I talk to myself when I'm agitated, and sometimes I forget to do so quietly, so I'll be walking around in a shop then I'll be like... uh oh.

PurpleDays said:
I talk to myself when I'm agitated, and sometimes I forget to do so quietly, so I'll be walking around in a shop then I'll be like... uh oh.

lol. that's funny and so embarrassing.
happens to me a lot. but in this modern days where everyone is on the phone with this "headsets"? it's not sooooo strange.

I usually dont verbally do it out loud.
But have internal dialog.
If i think out loud it would be the same.
When i curse...i guess thats me talking go myself.
I dont really have a conversation with objects.
We have a dog...i seriously dought our dog
Comprehend English. But i carry on a conversation
With our dog as if it understands every i say.

I talk to myself all the time, only intelligent conversation I get. It's when you start answering yourself back that you have to worry about.

Sometimes I run "potential" conversations with people in my head. To prepare myself with something to say

I have been known to do it even during a business call when we are trying to figure out the code that messed up the query and been asked if I talk to myself all of the time.
disbelief.gif

It is normal to talk to yourself out loud to an extent, especially for people who are lonely or don't have as much social contact as they desire.
I do it A LOT when I am preparing to give a presentation or even if I'm prepping myself on what I want to say at a doctors appointment. It seems to be somewhat of an anxiety response also.
This is strange but I do it a lot more when I am living with people and less when living alone.

I know lots of people who do this, and I do it myself. I don't ever actually "converse" with myself (thank goodness!), but I do express my thoughts or opinions to myself in private, kind of like self-validation.

I've also taken to pep-talking myself if I ever have a crisis of confidence.

Most often I do it when annoyed/frustrated or when working. For some reason I can often answer test paper questions and the like much better if I quietly read what the task is out loud to myself, similarly when learning tough concepts I find it easier if I explain it in words to myself, kind of like a one person debate.

I remember reading a study ages ago that suggested it's perfectly natural behaviour. I think it's logical really - you're using your auditory senses to supplement your natural inner mental processing.

I talk to myself many times.... :shy:

I don't think that there is nothing wrong with it.

I had couple of imaginary friends when I was little. :)

Latest posts

Back