The ALL Writers Club

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edward W

Reaction score
Well I've noticed there are a few aspiring writers on the site, and as one myself, I thought we should have a thread we could use to discuss writing in.

We can perhaps help one another, free some writers block, advise on plot lines, help with proofreading, and I have self-published a few things so if anyone needs help putting something out I'd be glad to help.

I also had the idea that maybe we could put together an anthology of short stories and poems, and then actually publish that book!

From experience this will probably not make any money, but how good would it feel to hold an actual paperback book in your hands that YOU have been a part of it?

If anyone thinks this is a good idea we can start a new thread to discuss it further.

So... Writers, what do you think?

Eddy, you know what I think of this - it's an awesome idea. I've always loved writing, but just been in this stupid block for years and have tried writing (started off with journal writing) but it gets nowhere. Maybe when I see more people get writing in this little club I might get inspired? Either way, can I join in and observe first?

I just have to remember to actually post my stuff. I always remember when I don't have the time.

Great idea Eddy! I'm not much of a writer, but I would love reading some stuff that the members on here write. I'm a big reader.

Sci, I'd love to read your writing.

Shippy, you could throw in ideas! You're very creative. :)

I'm totally in for publishing a book :) What are we writing about?

a book on loneliness, sounds great, I am in (also, I really like your writing style, Edward)

now that I am old, I don't have much of a writers' block anymore, just zero motivation, so with some motivation who knows what can happen

I love the idea of putting together our different works and getting them published! Are there any specific themes we might focus on? I've written a few poems that I would be willing to contribute.

Sounds like fun! I'd love to contribute if I can get inspired to write something. A ebook could also be published on a indy site like Smashwords.

Well I'm glad there is some interest!

Yes, we could put out an ebook version as well.

I was thinking of leaving the subject for any stories fairly open, from what I've seen on here we mainly seem to write about life, loneliness and hope, so I would say that's the theme.

So shall we leave this open for a few more days then see who's in and perhaps start looking at what we want to do?

Does anyone have any tips for writing about someone they know? My penpal of five months asked me to write a fictional story about him.

murmi97 said:
Does anyone have any tips for writing about someone they know? My penpal of five months asked me to write a fictional story about him.

When I write about a new character, I start off by writing down everything I want them to be: Their physical appearance, personality, likes and dislikes and their goals and motivations. This way I always have a quick reference to the character, and know how they'll react to any situation.

So if I were writing about someone I know I would do the same thing, only it would be easier. You don't have to create a new person, just ask him anything that you need to know and that might be relevant.

Does that make sense? I know everyone has different writing styles, but I like to know my characters completely before I put them in a story.

Yeah. I have downloaded one of those character building worksheets and filled it out.

It's a little weird though. The idea I have is to give him a Siren(I write erotica), because he's from a coastal place. I don't want to spoil the surprise by asking him how he would react to her, that situation, and a lot of other things I'd like to know to write it. I don't know really know what to ask that would help me AND keep the surprise from him.

So I'm writing a short story about two brothers who get lost while exploring some tunnels underneath a city. I'm not much of a writer though, I haven't been doing it for very long. Since Edward mentioned in his original post that we could ask for advice, I was wondering if people would help me out and comment on a short scene from the story.

Any (polite) criticism, tips, advice or comments would be great. You can even tell me it sucked, but please be nice.

The story itself is inspired by the movie The Descent, a game called The Cave, and some strange dreams I've been having. In this scene, the main character and his brother are discussing exploring the sewers. Warning: Long Post!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

There were myths about the sewers and subways beneath the city. Clans of underground homeless people, giant vicious rats, pale alligators and countless other urban legends that are probably heard in every big city in the world. I had heard them all and didn't really buy any of it. But this was a new one.

Sean continued to stare at me, his piercing blue eyes demanding an answer and his mischievous grin asking for a good one. His long blond hair was tied in a ponytail, and his worn jeans and T-shirt made him look like a carefree beach bum. At 30 years old, most guys already had jobs and families, or at least were working towards that goal. That kind of responsibility sounded boring to Sean.

"So you're telling me that somewhere in the sewers lives an old man, and he'll give you anything you want, as long as you can find him?" I asked with with even more doubt than I felt.

I couldn't keep the annoyance from my voice. I'll bet that when most men see that their brothers are in pain, they try and cheer them up or talk to them, maybe get them drunk or something. Not my brother, he wanted to drag me through a sewer.

"Something like that," Sean said with a enthusiastic grin.

"What if I don't want anything from some crazy homeless guy?" I asked.

"Its just a story, something to make it more fun."

This kind of thing really was fun to Sean. He had been digging through abandoned buildings, crawling beneath run down asylums and God knows what else for years. He liked to call himself an urban explorer, but to me it just seemed that he enjoyed wasting time. I asked him why he did it once. He told me, "You can learn a lot from the places and things people leave behind."

Right. Like what they had for dinner last night.

"C'mon man," Sean said, more insistent, "You need this. You probably haven't been out of this house since....the accident. You're gonna end up being a crazy homeless guy yourself. You gotta get out of here."

The accident. That was probably the most polite way to put it, but it still felt like a knife through the heart. The pain was worse because Sean did not look me in the eyes when he said it, did not call it what it was and did not want to talk about it. My anger grew. I was tempted to yell every detail of "The accident" into his face, and demand that he talk to me about it. Demand comfort, or support, or anything else that someone would give to his brother!

I sighed. What good would it do to yell? I had tried to talk to him about it after the funeral, tried to tell him how deep my pain was, how much the loss had affected me. He gave me minor condolences, and left saying that he would see me soon. I've barely heard from him since that day a year ago.

I couldn't be angry with him though. He had been like this since we were kids, he could always let pain and misery go easier than I could. He had a gift for always being happy. A true free spirit. I wondered if part of my anger came from jealousy.

Besides, he was here now. Even if he was offering something that I didn't want or need, he was here for me. My anger was beginning to fade, and my resolve went with it. As a life long introvert, I didn't have many friends, and no one who I considered close, not since Sara died a year ago. Even as a kid I was usually alone. Sean had always been popular, and he had always been willing to include me in his adventures and let me hang out with him and his friends.

"So have you done this kind of thing before?" I asked, "It sounds dangerous. And isn't it against the law?"

"I haven't been in many sewers," He explained, "But we're not going in very deep, and I have a map."

"And if we get caught?"

"Don't worry about it, bro!" He said, "Cops don't hang out in sewers."

"Fine," I said with another sigh. This whole thing still sounded like a bad idea to me, but I really did need to do something. My depression was getting worse every day.

"But only for a few hours," I said insistently, "I'll give you three hours, then we do something that I want to do."

We have had mock bargains like this for our entire lives. It was a game between us, something that kept two people close who otherwise didn't have much in common.

"Great!" Sean happily yelled, while shoving a piece of paper in my hands. "Anything you want, as long as it involves women and beer! That's a list of stuff you'll need. If you don't have it all, call me. I'll help."

Yeah, I thought, because buying a flashlight and backpack is what I need help with.

"This is gonna be fun man, you'll see! I'll pick you up at 5:00 AM Wednesday."

"Five AM?!?" I knew I shouldn't have agreed to this. "Are you fuc..."

Sean was on the other side of the room and out the front door before I could finish. Avoiding arguments was also a talent of his.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

That was only a short scene from a much longer story. When the brothers get lost, they find adventure, drama, loneliness and some pretty scary things. I don't have much trouble with action scenes, but I'm not confident in the dialogue that is the backbone of the drama. That's why I chose this scence to share.

So, any thoughts from the other writers here?

I'm in for an exercise like this. Some one decide the way forward, i.e, theme etc so that the recipients are well aware of our intentions. Btw intriguing plot Locke.

Sorry for the delay - Locke, thats really good. I can picture the scene and I want to know more. There's character development there, some backstory and emotions. Really good in my opinion!

Right. So let's have a go at this then.

Here's the theme.

Life, lonliness, hopes and dreams.

I figure everyone here will be able to write something on one or more of those themes.

So who's in?

I'd give it a shot.. I'd try.. but no promises. Then again.... if I can squeeze in some time for it. :\

Latest posts

Back