The College Misconception

• Thread starter A_User_Name_No_One_Knows?
  • Start date
Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

A_User_Name_No_One_Knows?

Hi, I'm new here. I just wanted express my feelings on how college is not always like its portrayed in the media. Girls gone wild, old school and all these other goofy shows that give people the perception that college is all about getting drunk, doing drugs, doing stupid honeysuckle and getting laid. Even if this were true, only 1/5 of the student body is doing it (Frats and Sororities) which leaves an awful lot of people to fall through the cracks.

I say this because I'm not a particularly social person, actually I'm a bit anti-social. But I have noticed this trend not only within myself but also within the close friends that I've have kept from high who are social people.

I got to school of between 32,000 and 33,000 students. Most per major classes involve 130 students minimum as they very often lecture halls. The only exceptions to this is English, Math, and laboratory sciences. As you may see, a lot of students fall through the cracks.

I as i'm sure many of you are, am Dostoevsky's "Invisible Man". I'm always watching, always lurking, but never there. I'm the guy you see in the elevator everyday, the guy pass on your way to your morning class, I'm there at the cafe; quietly eating my breakfast every Wednesday morning. I find myself at night lurking, 3am I wake up, head to the coffee shop, eat fast food, wonder around Walmart. Anything, anything that will clear my head. In a lot of ways its almost like I don't want to be seen, like I want to be alone within my own thoughts. I feel disconnected from reality, like the world is moving and I'm standing still, just watching.

I'm a junior now (just a third year student actually). I'm confident things probably won't change unless something drastic happens. In just a couple years most students have tied down their friendships and their lives/goals. There is not usually room for more. People here are self-righteous, very confident people. Women especially (as compared to women who went to the working world), they know what they want out of life and if you don't fit within their frame of your existence within their life, they don't want anything to do with you. Although, I'll admit, i'm just like all those other people. Self-Righteous, not wanting anyone to get in the way.

So, I just wanted to let everyone know that, their are an lot of people who fall through the cracks in college. For most of us its a lot of work, mentally and sometimes physically as often people have to work many hours to afford school. I'm lucky in this regard though, financially I've always been well off. Maybe that has led to things being like this....

Hi AUNNOK,

I totally can relate to how you feel. I felt the same way. In college, I made ZERO good friends. I felt like I was trapped in some sort of clear plastic bubble. I walked over campus and just felt so incredibly lonely and isolated. I didn't fit into any of the particular cliques or groups. I hated the rich snobs and the stupid drunk losers. I would NEVER join a sorority--that is so dumb, IMHO. Therefore, it was very, very hard to make friends. Did you go to my school? (in Virginia?)

I fell through the cracks. I felt my professors did not like me since I refused to swallow all their Marxist brainwashing. They did not select me for special fellowships, etc. All because I did not agree with their politics and sit there like a little parrot repeating it.

I know how you feel. Once out of college life does get better. I'm serious!

I really relate to that, for college. I fought it hard. I'd go talk to people and get involved and argue in classes just to show myself that I was a part of things.

Lonelygirl is completely right about life getting better outside college. The world opens up and you have control over what you invest yourself in...and there are a lot more normal, reasonable people in the working world.

Latest posts

Back