The Game of Thrones Thread

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the level of detail in the world. I always love stories with a large amount of lore, where the writer fleshes out the entire universe. The story is also pretty cool, there's enough swordplay to keep me on the edge of my seat and I like how there are magical creatures in it like dragons.

The only downside is, I don't really care for all the brutality and vulgarity. I know, it's a war story. But I guess that's why I like stuff like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings more. It's still war and action but without any dirtyness. GoT I feel is closer to a Tarantino film. I guess I don't REALLY mind, I mean, I still watch the show sometimes. But that's just my overall feelings on it.

TheSkaFish said:
I like the level of detail in the world. I always love stories with a large amount of lore, where the writer fleshes out the entire universe. The story is also pretty cool, there's enough swordplay to keep me on the edge of my seat and I like how there are magical creatures in it like dragons.

The only downside is, I don't really care for all the brutality and vulgarity. I know, it's a war story. But I guess that's why I like stuff like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings more. It's still war and action but without any dirtyness. GoT I feel is closer to a Tarantino film. I guess I don't REALLY mind, I mean, I still watch the show sometimes. But that's just my overall feelings on it.

I can understand being repelled by the vulgarity. When I first began watching it, the sister/brother relationships really turned my stomach. And there are a few scenes, in fact just last week, where the brutality of a sword fight causes me to look away, and I dont have a weak stomach.

But there is something about this show that just calls to me. I have never watched a show that has made me mumble out loud to a completely empty room "Whaaaaaaaaat the f*ckkkkkkkkkk" at least once an episode, if not more. I have never watched a show that made me so upset (TWICE) that I declared I would never watch it again and actually shed a tear... or two. I don't know. At only 10 episodes a season, I am deeply into the characters, which is strange considering most series have seasons that last over 20 episodes.

Love me some GoT..... Completely.

RockerChick said:
I can understand being repelled by the vulgarity. When I first began watching it, the sister/brother relationships really turned my stomach. And there are a few scenes, in fact just last week, where the brutality of a sword fight causes me to look away, and I dont have a weak stomach.

But there is something about this show that just calls to me. I have never watched a show that has made me mumble out loud to a completely empty room "Whaaaaaaaaat the f*ckkkkkkkkkk" at least once an episode, if not more. I have never watched a show that made me so upset (TWICE) that I declared I would never watch it again and actually shed a tear... or two. I don't know. At only 10 episodes a season, I am deeply into the characters, which is strange considering most series have seasons that last over 20 episodes.

Love me some GoT..... Completely.

Yea, I mean, it's one thing for there to be wars and swordfights. That's standard fare for action and adventure. But what I don't like are the beheadings and executions, sadism, and rapes, whether they are actually taking place or whether they are implied to have taken place off-screen or at another point in time. Also I don't really like all of the prostitution. I get that it happens but don't really want to see it every single episode, multiple times per episode.

But I understand where you're coming from as well. I mean, it's a very intricately-crafted story with deep characters and lots of plot twists. It definitely keeps you guessing as to how it will all turn out. The characters do have a way of getting us, the audience, to really care for them, don't they? I'm sure I'll watch it again eventually.

TheSkaFish said:
Yea, I mean, it's one thing for there to be wars and swordfights. That's standard fare for action and adventure. But what I don't like are the beheadings and executions, sadism, and rapes, whether they are actually taking place or whether they are implied to have taken place off-screen or at another point in time. Also I don't really like all of the prostitution. I get that it happens but don't really want to see it every single episode, multiple times per episode.

But I understand where you're coming from as well. I mean, it's a very intricately-crafted story with deep characters and lots of plot twists. It definitely keeps you guessing as to how it will all turn out. The characters do have a way of getting us, the audience, to really care for them, don't they? I'm sure I'll watch it again eventually.

FWIW, the sex scenes have been minimal this season in comparison to others.

I love the series, but the latest episode was quite boring and uneventful. Another reason I prefer to wait until they've all aired and binge-watch them all in a few days - I don't get so disappointed if there's a filler.

painter said:
I love the series, but the latest episode was quite boring and uneventful. Another reason I prefer to wait until they've all aired and binge-watch them all in a few days - I don't get so disappointed if there's a filler.

I would love to do this but at family gatherings this is one of the major topics and with all the message boards I am on, spoilers would get me....

RockerChick said:
But there is something about this show that just calls to me. I have never watched a show that has made me mumble out loud to a completely empty room "Whaaaaaaaaat the f*ckkkkkkkkkk"

I totally know what you mean here!

painter said:

Think this is what I'm gonna do too.

One of my favorite shows by far, the Hound and Arya are my favorite duo. Also I heard the TV series is going to start drifting away from the books, hopefully that makes the show a little more unpredictable. :)

I started reading the books because everyone around me was talking about the show. Now I get their references.

Latest posts

Back