The hollow self

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkwall

Reaction score
We all go around in our lives thinking that we're being watched: it is the bain and the comfort of our existences. Furthermore, it is this compulsion which leads to suicide - lonely people feel warm people as from a distance, the honourable or wronged think of their icons, and in short we see that we are watched but do not see ... cannot think in terms of our impact on others, cannot conceive of the sense of bereavement among loved ones. In other words, once the watchfulness that keeps us from solipsism is turned onto watching ourselves in their eyes, we have ceased to become aware of them in the same way that one never wonders what is inside a mirror.

This compulsion - watchfulness - is one that I cannot fully comprehend. I am guilty of it to a large extent, of course, but being the egocentrist that I am, I do not ever really do anything for anyone besides myself - I hope that they will like it, but like most people I will not choose to do any task that the feel-good factor will not recompense. Altruism aside, I care little for others' views whom I do not revere, or know and love: because I always feel that their judgement tells me more about themselves than me. Many, too, follow me on this point. They will know that while they feel watched, it is something in the nature of consciousness to be such: when we waste words on empty air, it is because the mind likes nothing better than to pretend there are two different parts of it. There is also drilled in by society a form of anthropomorphizing action into the character of good and evil - we don't break things of emotional value because we feel that sense of right and wrong pervading every extremity of touch, such as the twin desires to tear, or to caress, the things that most affect us.

I, on the other hand, am not one of those people who are unconscious of themselves - and unconsciousness of self is the best thing to have. I am so aware of the future, and that deep, bright self who might shine into it, that all my movements fold into blind aspiration. When I look into the mirror, I see two halves. One is like the angle that you look best photographed from and are always trying to find; the other looks back at me. It is he who attempts justifications for everything, yet only for that brighter sliver; and locked into a world of his two aspects is left pondering the depth of his reflection. Others watch; but I am watched, desirous of everything I am least able to apprehend. And yet, there is something within me, too, that beckons, like treasure in a fishtank or some other shallow symbol ...

Is it not possible, then, that I have become an icon to myself?

You mean you feel like a walking donut ?
That big empty abyss of a blackhole inside of you that acts like a vacumme.
Nothing of this earth can possibly fill it...So you always want more, more, more ?

Or more like a narsasis....It's all about me, me, me ? You continue to do it becuase you get away with it?
You come up with scehemes of whatever to always get what you want..Justifications is word
that you use becuase it sounds more intellectual..it's all part of justifying the sceheme ?

Or more of a boarderline...You pretty much feel like a wack job ? Somewhere in between the extremes
you catch of glimps ..(your brain has a fart)...something is not right ?

Or more like mind masturbation ? Your mind release indorphines through the variouse
thought process or acts that you do. You're bascailly an addict to the chemicals or
indorphines the your body/mind generated. Overtime your brain cells wired itself
a certain way or the receptors of your sences adjusted to a particular way to
only process certain types of chemicle or indorphine ?

You think it's the subconsiouse, but the consiouse mind or brain is actaully at work.
Your consiouse mind generate thoughts, ideas, then you react to it.
The consiouse mind dose this...so it can function. Over time the consiouse mind/brain
went through the learning curve process. It can master or function best in FAMILAR situations
or parameters. Sort of like saying "you're in the comfortzone".
That's why most people have a hard time adjusting to changes...the mind can't function
will with new sets of parameter, surrounding or circumstance.

You know...being comfortably numb dosn't mean it's heahtly.
Everyone knows doing drugs is bad for you, but intellegents people do it all the time.
They must be stupid or something. How can an intelligent person with such data
do exactly the opposite ?

Or what you're saying is... you're at the end of your ropes and you're trying to BS yourself too?
By trying to become an Icon of yourself....
Anything is possible I guess.

Or you reach a state of awareness that it's just your little mind. Some people term this the
ego mind. The basic instink mind, the self presivation mind...that's gone hay wire.

That's why some poeple say to get out of yourself and help others.
That's why some poeple meditate...To stop the mind from thinking so **** much.
That's why monks just sit still and do nothing.

That why somtimes a monk will just scub the floor all day and be in a state of blitz/happiness.
It's just a form of meditation to stop thinking all the time or clearing out the mind.

Not sure if you're asking...."is your mind in control of you"?
"or are you in control of you're mind?".....(the ego mind ).

The third eye , superconsiouse, or the observer..that you speak off..Some people term that as the soul, i guess.

Latest posts

Back