the little things in life...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What makes you smile, even for just a teeny bit? It may not even be a smile, just some sort of reprieve from the emotions at the current moment?

During times when I'm most depressed (not to the point of being suicidal though), I've found that it's the small things, simple things -- those that usually get unnoticed -- that remove me from the emptiness and sorrow.

For example, last week or so I was feeling pretty bad. I managed to will myself to get dressed and actually go *outside* of the house, away from the comfort of my bedroom. Anyway, I went for a walk.

On my little trip I brought my camera and a book. I took pictures of many things, mundane things that most would find ugly or boring. On that walk I noticed details that normally I wouldn't pay much attention to (I live in southern California and practically *everyone* drives. You don't really notice, say, the intricate details of leaves when you're driving...).

I remember I was fixing my camera a bit as I was walking and when I looked down I saw this tiny rounded out rock. It was smooth and on it someone had scribbled WES or SEM (if you turn it upside-down). It was treasure for me and I was so excited!

I still have that rock. It reminds me of that day (which actually turned out pretty good) and I guess, in some way, it reminds me that sometimes I just have to open my eyes and change perspective.

It's a lot easier said than done, I realize that. Hopefully though, people will realize this before they get to that crucial point-of-no-return stage. Animals and being out in nature help a ton, too! Well, at least for me. :)

- e.

P.S. - I hope this didn't sound like a hokey Hallmark card. GAH! Cheese Balls!

Nah...you don't sound like a cheese ball at all.
I see cheese balls zooming down the street all the time in cars with a shiney 750 BMW logo on it.lol
I too live in Souther CA..I know what you mean about California living....for some people anyway.

Sometimes I'll just lay down on the grass and notice a totally different world.
An ant or a bug making it's way to where ever. A humming bird try to find necture from flowers.
Sometimes I'll even smell the flowers, touch the texture of the flowers and notice the details of a flower.

Sometimes I'll go to the bridge at night alone...
I watch the shimmering light reflecting off of the water.
I can hear the sound of the water fall.
I feel the gentle cool breeze touching my skin
The millions of stars in the night sky. The crescent moon shinning

I also love watching the sunrise and sunset....
It's a surprized for me. Each day it's different.
Each day is beautiful.

Tho the pain in my heart is not removed...just for a while each day
I can take a times out to be in the moment.
Yeah plenty of simple things in life gives me peace.

I love animals and I find it fascinating to just observe them. It can be my cat, a video clip or just a bird outside, it definately brings me joy. :)

I have to agree with Terminus' animal comment. I have a cat that usually follows me around and when I come home she sometimes wakes up and rolls around the carpet purring. Its a nice hello during those busy stress-filled days.

Also seeing my grandmother happy. She has been through so much in her life and is a real strong woman. Probably the strongest I have ever known (its a biased comment I know). Even though she is getting very old and spends her days in one or two rooms of the house its nice to see her just enjoy herself reading or enjoying something new I made her for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. She may be old and a little confused, but she can still sense when I am really down and she does whatever she can to cheer me up. Its unbelievable.

I love going on walks, too. I live in a little village, surrounded by fields and a lot of nature, so there are a lot to see. Once I saw rabbits jumping over the fields and it was amazing how fast they could jump. :D

And I love.... bursting bubbles, snowmen, ladybugs.... all the things what can really touch a child's heart. :)

Getting a test back and finding that I've done very well in it. Having my work shown in class as a good example. Yeah...pride, I'm a sinner. My Tower of Babel will fall someday.

Compiling code successfully. The feeling of accomplishment that comes from computing. Finishing a good book. Smiling at nice girls at school. I can get pretty emotional whilst watching the news/TV/movies too, and usually either end up in a state of euphoria, or on the verge of tears.

this is actually a very good question. I havent smiled for real in a really long time, i dont even remember what makes me smile anymore...

Sakura said:
I love going on walks, too. I live in a little village, surrounded by fields and a lot of nature, so there are a lot to see. Once I saw rabbits jumping over the fields and it was amazing how fast they could jump. :D

And I love.... bursting bubbles, snowmen, ladybugs.... all the things what can really touch a child's heart. :)

Me too! Me too! Can you come out and play? ...lol :)

Memories of my dog never cease to delight me.

Whether it was his ears flapping in the wind as we roamed the hills on the outskirts of town, or his ridculously inflated sense of joy at the sight of a bowl of of ready mix, there was always something amazingly uplifting about witnessing his singular approach to any given moment.

Yea animals, it feels really peaceful just staring at them, they always look so comfortable laying there.

Latest posts

Back