the little things...we do.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

Nina

Now that we've vent off some peeves, let's look at some of the ways we pass out a little love and care, here and there.

I like to occassionally pay a toll for the car behind me.
I hold doors for anyone who needs it.
( I'm not a feminazi either, I like the door held for me too!)
I smile at strangers.
I'd rather try to see the good in someone rather than zeroing in on the flaws and faults. If I get in the mood to count faults, I always have enough of my own to keep me busy...:D

I didn't know you could pay a toll for a car behind you. That's rather nice of people to do. I barely wanted to pay the tolls for the car I was in.

Oh, I do hold doors open. Just to be nice.

hi Nina, i love it when people hold doors open. i remember one particular day/week, where i was having such a rotten time. the whole world was hard and cold for such a long period without any slight relief. then on another hard day filled with hardness, i was walking into a store and this man went out of his way to hold the door open for me. and he smiled too:D

i felt like i was in heaven. then, (shock) believe it or not, i went to another store and the same thing happened!!! i about fainted. it made me happy for the rest of the day:D

once i met a man who would carry little old ladies across busy intersections (in a big busy city)(i've found it hard enough to cross them myself in big cities), i thought that was cool!!!:D

Nilla--
It was a cool thing a lot of commuters use to do. I always just liked to do it for middle of the road cars though, I figured the folks with the luxury cars could pay their own tolls. It's changed a lot though, with the new Trans-pass plans and such. You have to be in the cash only lane....

Wandering--
I beg to differ...:) I've had arm fulls of stuff coming out of stores and it took way longer than 3 secs. to hold my door! I didn't once think the guy holding the door was a creep! I even had one man, help me get my stuff to my car! I still hold a soft spot in my heart for him, it was pouring rain and he still did it. Nice folks--LOVE em!

csmswhs--
Sometimes the tiniest thing can just make our day. I love the man carrying the older gals across the street. Now there is one dedicated, "nice-guy"!;)

Wandering stranger said:
There's a rule on holding doors, anything past 3 seconds is considered creepy by the opposite sex, unless it's for a handicapped/elderly.

I've never heard of that before.

What's with all these new rules and such? I've never heard of any of these ridiculous things. Really, 3 seconds.... What if they have a baby stroller and they're getting it through the door? Do you just let the door slam on the stroller? Last time I checked, going through a door didn't take that long...

All these crazy rules... Stop it all.

Wandering Stranger said:
There's a rule on holding doors, anything past 3 seconds is considered creepy by the opposite sex, unless it's for a handicapped/elderly.

That's bullshit. Sometimes I hold doors open for people when they're still halfway across the parking lot, and they always smile and thank me. I guess it must depend on the region, because where I'm from, if you hold a door for someone, you're being polite, no matter how long you hold the door.

((((((BJD))))) May men like you always be by a door when I come through loaded down with so many packages I can't even SEE the door! :)

Wandering--If folks, especially, tiny women who can't see over their packages, are loaded down and all but staggering to the door,...the timed creepy rule need NOt apply! ;)

I have a weakness for giving homeless people money. Doesn't bother me if they want to go off and spend it on booze and drugs; it's not for me to judge. Thing is, it's not really down to altruism as such ... more a kind of empathy; I always have this feeling that I'm just a few short steps from homelessness myself.

Oh, and I often find myself saying 'thankyou' to automatic doors.

If someone drops something I try to help them pick it up. lol. :)

Once, there was this man behind me in the checkout-line at the comic book store and he bought me 80 dollars of comics. @_@

That ******* made my day. I mentally screamed to myself "what?!?!" and could barely see straight, not believing someone just paid 80 bucks for a stranger's comics. Apparently he was rich and does random acts of kindness for people like paying dinner for a family he sees at a restaurant.

Electric_F--
I've handed a few bucks over to homeless folks too. There use be this little woman that I saw most days while buying my lunch and I just asked her what kind of sandwich she'd like and got it for her. That went on for a couple of years at least twice a week. Then she just stopped showing up. I had a real urge to try and find out what happened to her. No one knew. I still wonder what ever became of her though...I need to get my manners with automatic doors in check though....I've yet to thank one of those poor, reliable mechanisms....I'm so ashamed....*drops head and wanders off*:(.......

SophiaG--
That was an amazing experience!! Stuff like that lets you know there are really decent folks out there.

Electric_Fusilier said:
I have a weakness for giving homeless people money. Doesn't bother me if they want to go off and spend it on booze and drugs; it's not for me to judge. Thing is, it's not really down to altruism as such ... more a kind of empathy; I always have this feeling that I'm just a few short steps from homelessness myself.

me too. i remember having a few thousand dollars with me on a trip to Boston. by the time i got home i had given most of it away.

It's the sweetest thing ever how people give money to strangers like nothing. I don't have money of my own, but it's something I have always wanted to do. :)

I do pretty normal things like picking things up for people who drop them and opening doors for people.

csmswhs--
THAT was a chunk of change to part with! Very generous...I've done a couple bucks here and there...nothing like that.

Nana--
Sometimes it's the littlest things that really brighten a day, even just returning a smile can make a difference for someone. I know it cheers me right up when someone just flashes me a grin for no reason at all.

Agree on smiling at people... It could make the day slightly better especially for "invicible" people such as the cashier at the counter, security guard, waiter, cleaner etc. A real smile with eye contact not the automatic sort.

I also try to draw people out, being painfully shy myself when I was younger I initiate communication with the shy types (not creepy ones). Dubai is a fast-paced city with diverse culture so there are a lot of impatient people here, whenever I come across an "obvious" hesitant new comer looking a bit lost, I talk to them & give some encouragement.

Awww, rayousha, that doesn't surprise me a bit, that you would would do that. An absolute sweetie you are. A kind or helpful gesture is such a small thing, yet it makes all the difference in the world to some.

Nina - you mean you don't thank automatic doors when they open for you? Tut! And to think, I had you pegged as being good mannered...

Electric--
I am trying to redeem myself. I now not only remember a passing nod to the doors but I am currently giving my microwave a loving pat for heating up the endless cups of coffee/tea I consume in a day. :D

Latest posts

Back