The Mobile Phone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchemeDreamer

Reaction score
There are many reasons why I looked for a forum like this and why I joined up. But when I think back to around 10 years ago when things started to go badly for me, it all seems to stem from one invention.

The mobile phone.

I finished my last year of school in 2000 and at that time I did not own a mobile phone. The friends I hung out with at school, went to the cinema with etc, they all had mobile phones. So for that period it meant a lot of work on my part to keep in the loop. This wasn't so bad though as we saw each other every day.

But when I left school the phone calls to confirm social activities seemed to dry up. I had one friend, a best friend, who I continued to see and he would call me on my landline phone. But everyone else, even those I considered good school friends seemed to disappear. It affected my self esteem hugely and its from this that has made me terrified of rejection.

In fact months before I left school I was given a crushing reminder of how much the mobile phone had changed peoples lives and that you were a nobody if you didn't have one.

In 1999, on New Years Eve, I was meant to get a call from a long standing friend, to confirm when we were being picked up to be taken to a party. The call never came. I made my way down to his house to discover he'd already left. In the end I never went to a party that night, spending the new Millennium alone and me and that friend eventually fell out.

Since then I have purchased a mobile phone, but I have yet to find any friends to replace the ones who forgot me after school.

Incredible to think that one decision to not buy a mobile phone could have had such a huge affect on my life.

These people would only call mobile phone numbers? Is that common? Having never had a mobile phone i don't know what the etiquette is there.

A mobile phone is an electronic device using two-way radio communication network, through the cellular base stations known as cell sites. Unlike cordless phone handset, but only within a limited range to provide telephone services through a single base station connected to a fixed land line, such as a family or a office.In is not only a phone call, the modern mobile phone also supports many additional services and Accessories, such as SMS (or text) messages, e-mail, Internet access, games, Bluetooth, infrared short-range wireless communications, camera, MMS messaging, MP3 players, radios and GPS. Low-end mobile phone is often called feature phones, and high-end mobile phones to provide more advanced computing power is known as smart phones.

cherylfoster said:
A mobile phone is an electronic device using two-way radio communication network, through the cellular base stations known as cell sites.

o rly? :club: lmao

Latest posts

Back