The oddity of attachement

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spare

Reaction score
It can be strange, the things we get emotionally attached to. When I say 'things', I mean just that; things. inanimate objects.

Tonight I wept. I wept! Cried like a baby! I haven't cried like that since I was a baby. And why did I weep tonight? It was because my tuba is going away.

My tuba has what is called red rot, and red rot is to brass instruments what rust is to boats; a slow death. A slow death that, in this case, is covered by a lifetime warranty, so the company that sold it to me is going to replace it at no cost to me. This is a good thing; it saves me a few thousand bucks I can't afford to spend right now. But it also means I have to ship my horn back to them before they'll send me my new one. So in the morning I am sending it off, but at the moment I'm having a difficult time coping with this. It sounds silly, I know, but I've had this particular instrument for nearly ten years now, and it has become a very intrinsic part of me. We've been many miles and long hours together, playing God only knows how many gigs and concerts, and now that I am getting rid of it I feel as though I'm sending away a member of my family.

Of course, the ability to play the tuba stays with me. I realize this, and it makes it a little easier. But still, I find it surprising how emotionally attached I have come to be to this inanimate object, and right now I can't help but feel that any replacement horn just isn't going to be the same.

Thanks very much for bearing with me through this long-winded post. It is a trivial matter compared to some of the issues discussed on this forum, but I find myself adrift in some powerful emotions and in need of a good vent. Hope nobody minds.

Thanks again!

As humans, it's built into our function. It's the most natural thing in the world for us to do.
It's a part of us...we simply just have to accept it and not denial it. Embrace it.

We hold sentimetal values to the things we own. Whether it be a teddy bear, a ring, or a tuba.
I still have my Jackson guitar and my create Amplifier...these two objects had gone through hell and
back with me. Girls had come on gone out of my life....but if i die, please burried me with my guitar.
My guitar is like an extension of me. I'm a musician.. That's who i truley am at the core of my being.

Others may have attachments to an automobile, a pair of dancing shoes, a baseball bat or a set of paint brush.

Lonesome Crow said:
My guitar is like an extension of me. I'm a musician.. That's who i truley am at the core of my being.

Amen, brother.

awww Spare it'll be ok. *hug*

I know I am very attached to my Violin. There's something about musical instrucments that make you attached to them. Theyre like a voice of sorts, an expression of the soul. So I understand your reluctance to let this particular instrument go.

You'll get used to the new tuba, it might take some time but you will...

oh spare dear, i understand you, its the things that are sometimes there for us no matter what, and when it's your art, and your music - it becomes sooo much more important and personal.

(hug)

totally understand.
i hope you are going to make awesome music still, and will like the new tuba replacing your old one. (huuuugS)

Thanks, SophiaGrace and packyourbags, for your kind words.

Well, my horn is on the truck and gone forever. I borrowed a tuba from a friend of mine to use for the next couple of weeks, which is a lifesaver, because I have about a dozen rehearsals and at least four gigs between now and the first weekend of May. I have a LOT of music to learn.

I have many, many fond memories of St. Pete (that's what I 'named' my tuba-it was made by a Russian company called St. Petersburg), and I was still feeling kind of down about the whole thing while en route to the UPS Store this morning, but then I started to think. The new horn will be the exact same horn as the old one. the only differences are that the new one will be nickel-plated as opposed to brass, and it will be new. NEW. Then I started to think about all the fond memories I could make with St. Pete the Second...

Spare, I'd be really interested to hear some of your playing if you have any way to record it and put it online :)

It's an interesting topic, though. And it's very true. Something interesting a lot of people don't know is that firemen tend to have one of these attachments to their helmets, of all things. There's a small fortune to be made selling things to attach to ones helmet: various industry-related or heritage-centric decals, sets of door wedges that strap on with a band, flashlights...all kinds of things. And then there's the choice between Traditional helmets and Modern helmet.

Lots of guys won't wash their helmet, either, because the soot and dirt is sort of like a boyscout merit badge. It's kind of a silly macho thing, because a lot of that stuff actually isn't good for the helmet material over a long period of time. But 'getting your helmet dirty' is sort of a rite of passage for a rookie firefighter.

But you can tell a lot about a fireman by looking at his helmet. His rank (helmet color), his personality, how hard he's worked vs. how long he's been around, etc.

lol, i'm actually from st. petersburg :)

(hug)

i think that concentrating on the things that you will do with your new one - is a very good idea.

and i second what brian says.
would totally like to hear you play :D

(hug)

packyourbags said:
lol, i'm actually from st. petersburg :)

Ha! That's awesome! On behalf of tubists around the world I thank you for your city's fine tuba-making!

I'm flattered you guys want to hear me play. Unfortunately, I don't have the technological resources for a Youtube peformance at the moment, but it's a good idea, Brian. I'll try to scare something up sometime after my new horn arrives.

Well, the new tuba got here today. It's so darn pretty I'm afraid to touch it!

A percussionist dropped a snare drum on the bell of my tuba the other day, leaving a couple of dents. My BRAND NEW tuba. It was the closest I've ever come to feeding someone their own snare drum.

DEFINATELY the most difficult cheek I've ever had to turn.

Latest posts

Back