The Overnight Hours Are The Worst!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Haines

Reaction score
Everything is silent. Everything is so still.

All over the UK, there are other lonelies, just like me, sitting in front of their computers, shuddering at such "aloneness" or just plain, old-fashioned "loneliness".

I feel very calm about what I am about to say...not suicidal. Just...calm. And, I'm not exaggerating or dramatising as much as it might seem that I am. Nothing I'm about to write is fiction, or lying.

I'm always the one who phones everybody else. Nobody ever gives enough of a toss to pick up a phone and phone me, to see how I am.

Almost none of them even asks me how I am, when I do phone them, anyway, so they obviously don't give a ****, either way!

What's the point in it all?

Why am I allowing myself to even remain around, in this life, if everything is so isolating and there's close to nobody to care whether or not I'm even here. When the world has run out of uses for me, why am I not already dying some natural death so as to be out of everybody's way?

The most important person in my life died a horrible death only around 6 weeks ago. From diagnosis of stage 4 lung cancer, to flatline...7 weeks - BANG!

She was the last friend that I had. She was the last of them, and even she had shown clear signs of no longer caring like she used to.

Penpals? What's the use? I wrote to THIRTEEN of them, with carefully measured jollity in among the serious "what I like and dislike" bits. One of them writes back to me, just the one time and then never again. Not even one of the others bothered to even write back to say that they weren't after any more penfriends. After the 10th day after my friend died, my own sister, half a mile away, told me that I was phoning her too often - my own sister. I was just cruising through an adjustment period, because my friend who died was the only one left to whom I felt I could speak and know that she would listen. Ten days...before my sister folded and gave it up! Best friend dead. Own sister doesn't want to know.

What is the point in it all?

Friends? No...there is none left. There are people that I know, by name and to speak to, but...I only speak to those if I phone them. One I've known for 40 years...hasn't phoned me even once in all that time, to see how I am. I'm looking out of my window at their rooftop, now! Another I've known for 30 years and they have not even once ever bothered to phone to see how I am, even during my many breakdowns or injuries.

But, when THEY have a problem, oh yeah...on the phone they get until their problem is all talked out or their computer is working, again. Back to never phoning we go, then.

This living thing? What's the point in it all?

My BT phone package makes all UK calls (short distance and long distance) free, as long as I redial at the 59 mns and 59 seconds mark and I would really love to be speaking to similarly overnighter lonelies, just like me. About a decade ago, I would've called that BT package (I don't even know its real name) "The Package From Paradise", but it's helped me very little in this troubled time.

But, how could that be any different, anyway, when they don't know me or my life or phone number and I don't know them, or their lives or numbers? All that connection potential is wasted. British people are so inventive, too, so it's surprising that something vaster, by far, than the Samaritans, and not pretending to be any form of replacement for it, isn't already organised and up and running to bring lonelies, everywhere, closer together.

At times, I feel that I am the only person even awake, in the UK...it feels so odd. I'm a person who naturally is usually awake at night and asleep during the day. There may be many of me, out there, but I know not even one of them, if there are. OH, HEY! LET'S FORM "THE OVERNIGHTERS CLUB" and we'll all keep each other company, on the phone, during those wretchedly quiet times!

I don't think so, somehow!

A small version of it would work, but there's a lot of serious danger and trust trouble with such an idea: bringing near-total strangers into your phone number confidence can lead to getting you killed, in modern Britain.

I just feel that overnighter lonelies are not organised in a way in which they might be, but I'm useless at putting such groups together. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

But, otherwise, what's the point in any of this trauma called living? If there's a point, I've yet to catch a glimpse of it.

IH.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend. :(

I feel sorry for you, but internet sympathy or whatever isn't the same as when people are irl so i don't think anything else i say won't come off as creepy, so thats all i can say, sorry.

I to usually just hear from people when they want something. There are people that when they show up on my door step, i automatically know that they want furniture moved, of some such thing or i wouldn't be seeing them.

There's a purpose to it. There's a reason for us. The isolation is too close to absolute to be coincidental. There's nothing pathological about us that causes it.

When a person says to me that it's always they who contact other people, I have no hesitation in believing them. I know, without any further proof, that things are precisely as they describe them, and that they not only don't deserve it, but that they are equally unable to figure out what "scheme" is at work.

I don't know what it is, but I'm sure this happens to us because something special is supposed to come next. It happens in so many directions, it's almost as if there was some scheme to it all, that's just out of sight.

Too many dark hours and too many "all-take-no-give" limpets populating our surrounds. The oddness and ugliness of such a life can't be just the way we view things...there are too many of us, for that.

What could it be? What's common to us all?

Ian Haines said:
Everything is silent. Everything is so still.

All over the UK, there are other lonelies, just like me, sitting in front of their computers, shuddering at such "aloneness" or just plain, old-fashioned "loneliness".

I feel very calm about what I am about to say...not suicidal. Just...calm. And, I'm not exaggerating or dramatising as much as it might seem that I am. Nothing I'm about to write is fiction, or lying.

I'm always the one who phones everybody else. Nobody ever gives enough of a toss to pick up a phone and phone me, to see how I am.

Almost none of them even asks me how I am, when I do phone them, anyway, so they obviously don't give a ****, either way!

What's the point in it all?

Why am I allowing myself to even remain around, in this life, if everything is so isolating and there's close to nobody to care whether or not I'm even here. When the world has run out of uses for me, why am I not already dying some natural death so as to be out of everybody's way?

The most important person in my life died a horrible death only around 6 weeks ago. From diagnosis of stage 4 lung cancer, to flatline...7 weeks - BANG!

She was the last friend that I had. She was the last of them, and even she had shown clear signs of no longer caring like she used to.

Penpals? What's the use? I wrote to THIRTEEN of them, with carefully measured jollity in among the serious "what I like and dislike" bits. One of them writes back to me, just the one time and then never again. Not even one of the others bothered to even write back to say that they weren't after any more penfriends. After the 10th day after my friend died, my own sister, half a mile away, told me that I was phoning her too often - my own sister. I was just cruising through an adjustment period, because my friend who died was the only one left to whom I felt I could speak and know that she would listen. Ten days...before my sister folded and gave it up! Best friend dead. Own sister doesn't want to know.

What is the point in it all?

Friends? No...there is none left. There are people that I know, by name and to speak to, but...I only speak to those if I phone them. One I've known for 40 years...hasn't phoned me even once in all that time, to see how I am. I'm looking out of my window at their rooftop, now! Another I've known for 30 years and they have not even once ever bothered to phone to see how I am, even during my many breakdowns or injuries.

But, when THEY have a problem, oh yeah...on the phone they get until their problem is all talked out or their computer is working, again. Back to never phoning we go, then.

This living thing? What's the point in it all?

My BT phone package makes all UK calls (short distance and long distance) free, as long as I redial at the 59 mns and 59 seconds mark and I would really love to be speaking to similarly overnighter lonelies, just like me. About a decade ago, I would've called that BT package (I don't even know its real name) "The Package From Paradise", but it's helped me very little in this troubled time.

But, how could that be any different, anyway, when they don't know me or my life or phone number and I don't know them, or their lives or numbers? All that connection potential is wasted. British people are so inventive, too, so it's surprising that something vaster, by far, than the Samaritans, and not pretending to be any form of replacement for it, isn't already organised and up and running to bring lonelies, everywhere, closer together.

At times, I feel that I am the only person even awake, in the UK...it feels so odd. I'm a person who naturally is usually awake at night and asleep during the day. There may be many of me, out there, but I know not even one of them, if there are. OH, HEY! LET'S FORM "THE OVERNIGHTERS CLUB" and we'll all keep each other company, on the phone, during those wretchedly quiet times!

I don't think so, somehow!

A small version of it would work, but there's a lot of serious danger and trust trouble with such an idea: bringing near-total strangers into your phone number confidence can lead to getting you killed, in modern Britain.

I just feel that overnighter lonelies are not organised in a way in which they might be, but I'm useless at putting such groups together. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

But, otherwise, what's the point in any of this trauma called living? If there's a point, I've yet to catch a glimpse of it.

IH.

I am in love with this piece of writing. How can someone who wrote this beautiful piece be possibly lonely? I wanted to start a "LonelyHeartsClub(name of my city)" and even designed a flyer on Microsoft Word but because my city has high crime rates including rape (ugh) this place is really not a good place to be slipping these lonelyheartsclub flyers underneath doors.

I think quite a few of us are going through the same thing. I don't have a single friend I can call a friend too. I made a friend through a language class but it turns out she isn't that much of a friend anyways. When she wants me to do something with her (which was just about 3 times and it was for HER advantage) she'd call and text like crazy, facebook chat me, yahoo chat me, etc. But after using me for her own benefits, suddenly, I don't see her online at all, she does not reply my text or pick up my calls. It's just madness. This is just one example. The other people whom I call out for coffee over meeting them through a social event were also like that. They'd accept my invitation out for coffee, just to check out what I am like (both girls and guys) and after that one time, nothing more. And two of my friends who were sooooo nice to me at first turns out to be into pyramid selling, and really just wanted to recruit me as a member. Ever since I said no to them, they stopped replying my texts. Just knowing I'm not the ONLY one here have given me some hope that something can be done and we can all support each other to turn the situation around. Sorry about your friend's death. It is very unfortunate but there must be some good people around.

P.S: You need to get the hell out of Britain. How come some of the most lonely people on this forum hail from England? Geezus Krist.

And if it makes you feel better, I too, was on about 10 different penpal/friendship/dating sites and I wrote to quite a few people only to get a one liner or "Thanks" and that's it. And that's just probably 3 out of 30 mails I wrote. It just seems like it's dead and all these profiles are fake. And the ones that did write to me couldn't say more than "Hiez dear, hw r u? I wan 2 cu sum mor". Bbbbbbrrrrrrr I'd rather just talk to the 70 year old man selling peanuts across the road.

I'm sorry to hear your last friend died of lung cancer, that's a very difficult death (my mother did chemo and hung on for 6 long months with it). As a fellow nightowl I'll try to offer some advice from a different perspective.

Perhaps you're being clingy without intending it? Overly frequent contact, especially at the beginning of a relationship, may push people away. If someone doesn't returns your calls, ease up and cease calling them. They may be completely uninterested, they may simply prefer a slower pace, or they may just be very shy or social phobic. For example, I'm one of those types of people: nothing scares me away faster than someone who seems clingy or too social because I am very introverted and slightly social phobic. When someone contacts me a bit too often, it becomes like a chore and I start to dread it, even if I otherwise like the person.

Most people are self-absorbed and not really that interested in other people unless they want something from them or find them particularly interesting. It's more a matter of finding the right person, I think. Aim for mutual interest and if it isn't there then quickly move on and eventually you'll find companions. Try contacting a lot of people now and then, rather than a handful of people frequently, to increase your chances of finding a suitable friend. You'll know you've found one when the relationship doesn't feel so one-sided.

JamaisVu said:
Most people are self-absorbed and not really that interested in other people unless they want something from them or find them particularly interesting. It's more a matter of finding the right person, I think. Aim for mutual interest and if it isn't there then quickly move on and eventually you'll find companions.

I can't agree more. Most people I think are just interested in themselves and they live for themselves. Moreover, as you grow older, it's going to be ever more difficult to find personal friends because people already have all sorts of people in their lives by then - their long time school/college friends, working colleagues, bf/gf, wife/husband, in laws, siblings, and the whole works.

So it's not often that they are seeking for NEW friendships and they won't even have time for one.

And most of the people that I met who were interested in me, they wanted something from me. After getting something from me, suddenly I don't hear from them again. It's sad but its true.

Yes...clingy is often what I am. But, that can't be blamed for the utter absence of incoming calls, to the degree to which I've experienced it.

That type of neglect is antifriendship and I need friendship from some new faces and names. The old ones are worn out and threadbare and I'm at a loss about how to deal with it all.

Thanks for your posts, folks.

Ian Haines said:
Yes...clingy is often what I am. But, that can't be blamed for the utter absence of incoming calls, to the degree to which I've experienced it.

That type of neglect is antifriendship and I need friendship from some new faces and names. The old ones are worn out and threadbare and I'm at a loss about how to deal with it all.

Thanks for your posts, folks.

Oh I wish there were some nice clingy people around. If you're nearer to me, we could form a friendship club.

Where are you? Don't get too accurate - just country.

Consider this thread edited. I'd just written how we seemed to be hijacking somebody else's thread, when I eventually realised that IT WAS MY OWN! Erm...give me time to think up an excuse for my stupidity - I do a good number in excuses! Cough, cough!

:club:

Latest posts

Back