The Philosophy Corner

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zraskolnikov said:
.... you are morally required to provide for your children?

Yes, as Bluey says you are also legally required to.

The basics of food, shelter and clothing are pretty obvious. Without that the child can be removed from your care. The farther you get from the basics the more that it is a person choice. No moral or legal responsibility to provide the latest video game or current fad clothing item much less any of the more extreme items they can dream up.

Minus said:
zraskolnikov said:
.... you are morally required to provide for your children?

Yes, as Bluey says you are also legally required to.

The basics of food, shelter and clothing are pretty obvious. Without that the child can be removed from your care. The farther you get from the basics the more that it is a person choice. No moral or legal responsibility to provide the latest video game or current fad clothing item much less any of the more extreme items they can dream up.

You have to remember that even if it is written into law it's no guarantee that it is moral, the law is a reflection of the current majority's opinion of morality nothing more nothing less. I would say that you are morally responsible for your child's well being but not because the law says it, it's just a case where the law happened to get it right for once;)

NeverMore said:
You have to remember that even if it is written into law it's no guarantee that it is moral....

I totally agree with you even though it may have sounded like i was implying differently.

Minus said:
NeverMore said:
You have to remember that even if it is written into law it's no guarantee that it is moral....

I totally agree with you even though it may have sounded like i was implying differently.

I have to say that I also agree :) and when has the law ever got it right lol

NeverMore said:
Why is there something as opposed to nothing?

Because its imposable to think of nothing.

Have you ever tried to think of nothing? I have and the most nothing I could think of is black. But that's still something.

Its inconceivable that even when we are gone that there well be nothing. well inconceivable to me.

This is why I think there has to be something in the next life. As I just can not except that there is nothing.

I don't believe in the bible as I think they are to many contradictions there but I do believe all this is for a reason and they well be something that makes all this worth it. I just don't know what.

But you could put something into a vacuum? So does that eliminate the vacuum or how soon it would become ''nothing'' ?

Also i beg to differ to there being nothing within a vaccum theres alsorts in mine, mainly dust, dirt, hair clippings and anything else that happens to be on the floor whilst cleaning. :p

lonewolf said:
But you could put something into a vacuum? So does that eliminate the vacuum or how soon it would become ''nothing'' ?

Also i beg to differ to there being nothing within a vaccum theres alsorts in mine, mainly dust, dirt, hair clippings and anything else that happens to be on the floor whilst cleaning. :p

haha not a vacuum cleaner :p

actually according to wiki, in reality, no volume of space can ever be perfectly empty. i guess i was wrong lol. but still we can get pretty god dam close lol.

Naleena said:
What is the meaning of life?

The meaning of OUR life is to reproduce and carry on our existance, Tho the meaning of life in general... i dont think there is one. Im an athiest so i dont believe we where created by god for his amusement. i dont think anyone can answer this.

This is an easy question. Just ask yourself, "why am I here?" (And before you people go off on an existentialist rant, by "here" I mean "a lonely life". )

The reason people don't know the meaning of life is because they're too busy searching for it within themselves. It will never be there, because the meaning of life for everyone is in the people they love.

That's why most of us are here, isn't it? Because we're missing those special someones. We're missing people we can count on. We're missing companionship, we're missing relationships, and above all, we're missing love.

The meaning of life is simple: Find the people for whom you care, love them to the best of your ability and with the purest and passionate of emotions, and you will have understood what it means to have lived.

zraskolnikov said:
This is an easy question. Just ask yourself, "why am I here?" (And before you people go off on an existentialist rant, by "here" I mean "a lonely life". )

The reason people don't know the meaning of life is because they're too busy searching for it within themselves. It will never be there, because the meaning of life for everyone is in the people they love.

That's why most of us are here, isn't it? Because we're missing those special someones. We're missing people we can count on. We're missing companionship, we're missing relationships, and above all, we're missing love.

The meaning of life is simple: Find the people for whom you care, love them to the best of your ability and with the purest and passionate of emotions, and you will have understood what it means to have lived.

That was an awesome answer gives you a lot to think about, thank you very much for that

*claps enthusiastically*:)

Your defining life by what we feel we are lacking in it, what we feel we should achieve, namely love, very interesting, never thought of it that way

I would say that there is no meaning to life. Life is simply a byproduct of events that happened in the universe, not to say they are random events because they could not have unfolded any other way(think about that...).And to me there is nothing wrong with having no meaning, just be happy you got here and enjoy all the things you can do like intelligent thought and...idk bench pressing stuff...?

There's something comforting about knowing you have no meaning, there is nothing expected of you and you are free to write your own destiny, and while you have no innate purpose, you are here along with others you might as well live life to it's fullest while living as moral a life as possible

Now...That's what the hyper rational side of me that I kinda hate would say, but the rest of me would say something like this:

Life is strange cookie when you think about it, the only things that separate us from inanimate objects are things like metabolism, reproduction, growth and reaction to stimuli, but really we are matter, matter arranged in such a way that collectively it has the ability to do all those things. Just like rocks we exist, who is to say we are superior to rocks, sure we can do more actions than rocks, but they exist just as much as we do as matter arranged in such a way that it is a rock. What we call life is just our higher sense of awareness that we exist

When the first organisms of life were forming, what caused the first DNA strand to divide? I mean think about it that is a **** complicated process that requires enzymes to be present, even if the enzymes weren't present and physical forces caused the DNA strands apart, what caused them to rebuild themselves a second strand to coil around? I'm thinking it was probably chemically, there were active sites for things to bond to so organic compounds in the water ran into their spots and presto another DNA strand was made. That's how it was in the beginning, but then organisms started to purposely divide, they wanted to continue on their genetic legacy. Then complicated organisms like dolphins started doing things that weren't directly related to preserving their life and offspring, things like rubbing on pebbly shore beds, just because it felt good to them so they got another meaning to live, to find happiness and pleasure.

Then we came along, we who do things that aren't related to reproduction or preservation of life on a very regular basis. We can have any number of meanings to our lives whatever we want it to be, we can dedicate our lives to helping others or building Rubik's cubes,music, anything at all. We are such varied creatures that no one meaning applies to everyone, sure we all have the purpose to reproduce, but one can shirk that duty and still feel satisfied with life, I mean come on we can all take solace in the fact that the human species will continue into the future (breeding wise) with or without us... So for me the meaning of life is to find your own personal meaning in it and the beauty of our lives is that it can be infinitely anything

Sorry that was pretty long.....

Porman said:
Why is it that we go to hell just for not believing in god? Why cant people that are the nicest people that never hurt anyone and follows all the rules go to hell just for not believing in god? why is not believing a sin? Does anyone else seem to think this is imorral?

Hi Porman,
It doesn't make sense to me either. Infact, I don't believe it at all. It's religious scare tatics, in my opinion. Religion is a way of controlling the masses. It is full of dogma.

I prefer spirituality, which is another subject for another time. :)

The meaning of life...

To lead an existence that positively affects the people we come into contact with...at least that has always been my aim.

NeverMore said:
zraskolnikov said:

That was an awesome answer gives you a lot to think about, thank you very much for that

*claps enthusiastically*:)

Your defining life by what we feel we are lacking in it, what we feel we should achieve, namely love, very interesting, never thought of it that way

I would say that there is no meaning to life. Life is simply a byproduct of events that happened in the universe, not to say they are random events because they could not have unfolded any other way(think about that...).And to me there is nothing wrong with having no meaning, just be happy you got here and enjoy all the things you can do like intelligent thought and...idk bench pressing stuff...?

There's something comforting about knowing you have no meaning, there is nothing expected of you and you are free to write your own destiny, and while you have no innate purpose, you are here along with others you might as well live life to it's fullest while living as moral a life as possible

Now...That's what the hyper rational side of me that I kinda hate would say, but the rest of me would say something like this:

Life is strange cookie when you think about it, the only things that separate us from inanimate objects are things like metabolism, reproduction, growth and reaction to stimuli, but really we are matter, matter arranged in such a way that collectively it has the ability to do all those things. Just like rocks we exist, who is to say we are superior to rocks, sure we can do more actions than rocks, but they exist just as much as we do as matter arranged in such a way that it is a rock. What we call life is just our higher sense of awareness that we exist

When the first organisms of life were forming, what caused the first DNA strand to divide? I mean think about it that is a **** complicated process that requires enzymes to be present, even if the enzymes weren't present and physical forces caused the DNA strands apart, what caused them to rebuild themselves a second strand to coil around? I'm thinking it was probably chemically, there were active sites for things to bond to so organic compounds in the water ran into their spots and presto another DNA strand was made. That's how it was in the beginning, but then organisms started to purposely divide, they wanted to continue on their genetic legacy. Then complicated organisms like dolphins started doing things that weren't directly related to preserving their life and offspring, things like rubbing on pebbly shore beds, just because it felt good to them so they got another meaning to live, to find happiness and pleasure.

Then we came along, we who do things that aren't related to reproduction or preservation of life on a very regular basis. We can have any number of meanings to our lives whatever we want it to be, we can dedicate our lives to helping others or building Rubik's cubes,music, anything at all. We are such varied creatures that no one meaning applies to everyone, sure we all have the purpose to reproduce, but one can shirk that duty and still feel satisfied with life, I mean come on we can all take solace in the fact that the human species will continue into the future (breeding wise) with or without us... So for me the meaning of life is to find your own personal meaning in it and the beauty of our lives is that it can be infinitely anything

Sorry that was pretty long.....

Spoken like a true biologist. You are well suited to your field that you study for I would say lol

Now for a moor spiritual answer :)

Well I think the meaning of life is different for everyone of us. We all have our own personal reasons for visiting this forum like we all have our own personal spiritual reasons for visiting this plane we live on called life.

This is why I think we have such things as little babies that die. For them there reason may have just been to visit this place and live for a bit to experience what its like to breath and touch and feel the air in there skein. Soon as they experience this they move on to the next world. A better spirit though it hopeful as well.

For the rest of us that live on for a lot longer then we have moor to learn in this world. maybe not moor just maybe that we have not yet learned what we need to. This can be to feel love or to fined out how to love. This why some ppl are good at something and other ppl not so good at other things.

It could be that you come here not with the intention to self better but you come here with a purpose to help some another spirit here. Again I think just like we visit any place here in this world or even in cyberspace we do the same spiritually as well.

So the meaning of life is why you first come here. I do think we all every one of us decided to come here by our own free well and we all have our own reasons for being here that well become clear to us when we pass back into our home world.

Remember our time on this plane in the eyes of evolution is less then a blink of an eye. The spirit lives forever. So what ever little pain we have to indoor here well not seem that big a deal once it is over.

So the meaning of life is different for every one of us. This why its an imposable thing to answer.

Naleena said:
Porman said:
Why is it that we go to hell just for not believing in god? Why cant people that are the nicest people that never hurt anyone and follows all the rules go to hell just for not believing in god? why is not believing a sin? Does anyone else seem to think this is imorral?

Hi Porman,
It doesn't make sense to me either. Infact, I don't believe it at all. It's religious scare tatics, in my opinion. Religion is a way of controlling the masses. It is full of dogma.

I prefer spirituality, which is another subject for another time. :)

This why I do not believe in the bible. There is for to many contradictions in it. I mean if your a good person even if you don't go to Church then surly that's enough. if not then well, I tried my best and that's all I can do.

Latest posts

Back