the pursuit of self serving satisfaction

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haz

Reaction score
I have been thinking to myself recently, that I feel a guilt that many of my motivations stem entirely from selfish, personal need.

Even in my desires to be charitable and help people, it seems to have a root in the image I project to the public, I always want to come across as a helpful, caring individual who will put their back out to help others, and I guess in a way I kind of unconsciously fish for external validation in this manner. I genuinely feel good when somebody praises me for my generosity, but really when it comes down to it the way I seek happiness is by becoming the sum of what I consume. I need money to pursue my satisfaction, and in light of not having a job recently it has showed some really ugly, greedy sides in my personality I have had to face head on. In the back of my mind I would feel a sense of smug satisfaction that I was earning a hefty paycheck each week, that I could dine out at expensive restaurants wearing nice clothes and feel that I was above the common sucker who cleaned toilets or worked at a gas station for a living, cause I was focused, hardworking, intelligent and going places. I would spend all my money on enculturing myself in the world of video games, literature, films and pursuing hobbies like music as a way of feeling that I was understanding the world, and supposedly contributing to the wealth of human knowledge somehow with my own unique perceptions on how I judged these things.

I feel as if i've been deluded, and there is kind of grounded wisdom to be found in people that don't earn lots of money, people who aren't traditionally educated, people who don't seek the fast track career so they can get all the rewards and feel the heights of what it is like up the top, or at least above some other chump despite the constant pressure of dread of what is gonna happen if you get axed and can't pay the mortgage, and seeing through the superficiality of it all every step of the way.

Perhaps my loneliness is the punishment for all my mortal sins. I wish there was some way I could wipe the slate clean, I feel I want to help people who have real problems. I feel the need atone for my selfish thoughts with masochistic pain games, and spend more time focusing less on my own interests because in the end, it just leaves me feeling this sinking, horrible feeling in my gut and this chaotic turmoil in my head that reads as if something is very, very wrong with my brain.

everyone has darkness, everyone has evil, knowing what it is and genuinely feeling bad about it is the first step to banishing it. Its never to late to change

There is something to learn from everyone, but you should never feel guilty for having made more of your life; its always possible to reach out and learn more, even while being aware of the flaws in both others and yourself. The truth is that money /is/ important for happiness, and even if you wish to help others, resources such as money serve an important role. Do you wish to feed someone starving? Then it helps to be able to afford to give him rice. What money permits is possibility; it is up to you on how you wish to use that possibility.

Guess what, there needs to something in it for you for your brain to catch a motivation. You cannot be pleasured by altruism alone, your brain can't catch other people's emotions.

Guilt is a TRAINNED Emotinal repsonse.
It got deeply ingrainned in us from
early childhood....

Just like people saying that money is the root of all evil...yet theyll pass the basket around to Collect money
cuase they need it...Tithing money
and whatever belief theyll sell you.
The preachers saleries. They live in nice homes and live a generous life style...while the poor put in a dallor or two in the basket...its still realitvely
the same concept used in business.
Why do you thing Phone company compete for pennies?
A little bit from everryone adds up to make a lot...

Anyway...if you wanna read up on codependency and see that perspective.

Bascailly it gose into.... people pleasing,
praise seeking, competing. Comparing. Guilt, shame..etc are bascailly at the root cuase of our suffering or unhappiness.

Its a fine line of being independent.

And be inter dependent...working with
others..

Its actually very simple..OUR FEELINGS
comes from with inside of us.
We go on autopilot and react to our feelings more than we're awear of.

Yes...if we were programm a certain way , raised a certain, conditioned a certain way from early childhood. The information gets reinforced over and over again...it becomes our beliefs system and gose into our subconsious.
So we live automatically according to
those old ideas..

However those old beliefs might not serve us or works againts us today.

We can reprogramm ourselves.
Replace those old ideas and unworkable beliefs...At the sametime..we must also
filter out people that still wants to reinforce those old ideas and beliefs
on to us...I hope that makes sense.

You can try looking up work by
DR. Robert Anthony...
He gose into details about it.
Beyound positive thing and ultimate confidence..

I also use the Sedona methode to let go
of feelings of guilt and shame.

The 12 steps programm bascailly dose the samething. Guilt and shame fucks up a lot of people....

Poeple have a codependent relationship with thier employers more than theyre awear of...
Depedent on the pay checks..
Whatever the fucken companys palocies are or whatever the fresia concept theyll
sell ya...to be a team player..take one
for the team...blah..blah..
Have you do all kinds of stupid honeysuckle.
Why do you tinnk people stress out
all the fucken time?...

The employee..of the month scheme
plays on your praise seek nature..
Busting your ass for whatever...
@ the end of the day...they still dont give you more returns or money?

GOOD The fucken job dude...Heres a fucken star well stamp on your forehead..

Notice how elementary school have those **** stars you can earn?

Porgramming us from a very young age to seek approval...bascailly trainning us to be controlled like robots..

As I said...its alot more simple than you think...
OUR FEELING COMES from inside
of us.
YOU can trigger Happy feeling anytime
you choose....without outside source triggering it..

In other words...u need not seek anywhere else but yourself for your happiness...

Thats why some people say happiness is an inside job.

at least you've learned and recognized one of your defects. but talk is cheap. once you have the chance, do something about it. and sometimes its good and right to look after your own interests. someone always benefits from your consumption, no matter how you use it (to feed the poor, or pay the employees that work at the fancy restaurant). its all about moderation.

Talk isnt cheap. Ive been in recovery for a long time.
i learned to recogonize my defects through lots and lots of heartaches and pains.

I grew up in a dysfunctional enviorment...that dosnt necessary mean I grew up
in a trailor park. We live in a very nice big house with a nice pool and 2 car garage
on the right side of the tracks or west side of town.
Our house for the most part was/is fucken spotless clean.

Guess, freinds, or relative thinks...wow what a wonderful fucken home or
place we live it.

My father was/is a neutratic alcoholic. He made honeysuckle loads of money..a VP of a company.
He also did a lot of community service work. He was also the dean of our church.
He was/is well known in our community.

But living under his roof was like living under the rules of a dictator ship.
Most of all he was very adbrasive and abusive towards me.

Nothing I did was good enough to my father...

Guess where all of the that...praise seeking came from?
Guess where all the over achiving, competing, comparing honeysuckle came from?
Guess where being a perfectionist came from?

Most of my life..that's all I wanted. That my father loves me and accept me.

All of these behaviors and mentally carries over into other relationships
I have with women or other areas in my life.

What Iam also saying is...
If I was conditioned or trainned...

I can also be unconditioned or untrainned.

Whatever beliefs or ideas...
I also had to learn how to see things differently orprocess life differntly.
Un lock my mind and my beliefs...

Such as believing Im not good enough..
Obviously If I believe or see myself as not good enough...my self esteem is a bit low..

My behavors are the effectd of my beliefs about myself...
Hence all the people pleasing, love earning that is unhealthy for me or dosnt serve me well..

I have to check my motives of why I do certain things. Im not totally cured of it bu no means..Ive put myself in the same positions over and over again.

Especially when it comes to RENAE and our daughter. Lots and Lots of guilt and love earing . Its a slow process as my relationship with Renae continue to heal and grow. We both try not to react in our old ways as much as we used to.

Our daughter have all these things going inside of her. Shes a very kind loving her person. .

Shes going through a lot of heartaches and pians as Ive had..

She feels lots of guilt and shame..

Haz said:

I feel as if i've been deluded, and there is kind of grounded wisdom to be found in people that don't earn lots of money, people who aren't traditionally educated, people who don't seek the fast track career so they can get all the rewards and feel the heights of what it is like up the top, or at least above some other chump despite the constant pressure of dread of what is gonna happen if you get axed and can't pay the mortgage, and seeing through the superficiality of it all every step of the way.

Perhaps my loneliness is the punishment for all my mortal sins. I wish there was some way I could wipe the slate clean, I feel I want to help people who have real problems. I feel the need atone for my selfish thoughts with masochistic pain games, and spend more time focusing less on my own interests because in the end, it just leaves me feeling this sinking, horrible feeling in my gut and this chaotic turmoil in my head that reads as if something is very, very wrong with my brain.

I don't believe in the idea of being "punished for mortal sins." That would imply some big, unknown, cold-hearted entity "out there" somewhere sits around waiting for us to fresia up and then slaps us up'side the head when we do... and we never know the rules before hand.

What you've encountered is reality. The world that floats on "a good income," which means one well above average, is an entirely different world. Like that screwy song "holes in the floor of heaven," those who live the two-car garage life, nice restaurants, etc., get glimpses of another reality by looking down at those poor suckers below but don't really have a clue what life is like there. But the fact is that those poor schmucks, of which I've been one most of my life (Yeah, I live in a mobile home!), support the upper layers that press down upon them. And they do it, most of the time, without looking up.

You are right about the wisdom of the poor. They are my kind of people, easy to live with, far less worried, and much more contented than people in higher strata. But you do not need to make penance for disregarding their lives. All they ask for, and mostly all they need, is respect for the lives they live and the jobs they do. I've done my time cleaning toilets. It was my job and I didn't mind. What pissed me off was when some ******* would piss on the wall knowing he would not have to clean it. Not that you are or were that kind but the point is not having a condescending attitude means a hell of a lot more than boxes full of free food, even to someone who is broke and hungry.

Am I being too longwinded? Sorry. Nothing wrong with your brain. There was something wrong with your eyes for a while but you've gotten that straightened out. Fulfillment does not come by change in your pocket or dropping that change in a cup, fulfillment comes by seeing every human as valuable and becoming a part of the real human race rather than just another dues payer at just another exclusive country club. Welcome to the family.

Latest posts

Back