The Serenity of Sleep

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often see memories playing out my head through out the day(this is normal), certain things I encounter trigger them. They're more often vivid than dull. It gets bad when I have to go to sleep, that's when they almost haunt me in a way you could say. They're happy memories I feel I can never experience again, they linger and melodies come in different forms from different people. The one from my parents, my best friend and my partner are the saddest. Instead of staying memories, new scenes play out of people disappearing one at a time, except for my parents who both go together. They fade into the shroud/fog/mist/etc. The only solace I find is in researching artwork that I relate to and saving it. Then I see my fears of scaring the people I care about come true, where in I commit suicide. All that's there for me is a quick change from grey, black and then to nothingness. For those I leave behind, it's devastation. And my head aches a lot. It makes me feel a little bit better to listen to something that sounds the way I feel, in that it makes me cry instead of not being able to get it out. Those are the worst of times.

Oh, it is. I've always loved the ocean and swimming with goggles on so I could see the fish but I've not seen anywhere as clear as this place, in all of my travels. :) You should go someday, there are holiday rentals along the beach and I know down the coast further there's a hotel or something. I hope a big hotel never comes up in Playa Encanto.
Yeah, it's the one place I feel truly at peace with everything. It's like time stops just for you, you don't have to think about what's going to happen tomorrow. You can enjoy the present. I started going when I was about 8. We went down about every year until I was 17. I haven't been since.

Aww, that's because you're such a decent bloke. :)

I always find night time the worst. There's a song called 'Demons' and the opening lyric goes - "I'm cool when the suns up but after the darkness comes, then my mind is bunged up, with thoughts that my subconscious should sponge up but it's more like my cerebral cortex is warring with my cerebellum and they've both put two guns up." That describes the night for me mostly. It's not always bad but yeah that's a song that resonates with me on a whole 'nother level.
It must be difficult seeing images like that, people you care for leaving and not being able to do anything about it. I know what you mean with listening to something that sounds the way you feel, it can help alot I find sometimes. I feel your head aches too, I get a kind of underlying numbing ache and sometimes I feel a literal pressure and it's like I need to squeeze my head open to release it. I find it can be mentally exhausting, draining, you find that too?

Let's hope it stays that clear and pristine right. Do you want/think you will go back again eventually? Mexico is on my list of destinations anyhow but I will make that the specific place to go in Mexico. Has to be as good as any other right? I don't need all that touristy stuff. Sounds almost perfect, time moves so quick sometimes for something that's a mental construct...too quick.

Aww thanks, you're kinda awesome too...ok ok you ARE awesome!

Kid_A said:
For the past couple months I have been trapped in my head.

At night I can't sleep and all I want to do is sleep. I find myself in this aversive state of hopelessness and feeling so trapped that I can't help but research the means to an end. Having all the knowledge I need now, somehow makes me feel better. But I can't help researching more and more, even researching how families of bereaved can learn to cope.

I'm don't want to torture my family or cause them anymore pain. My head often aches when I stop using my daily mask, my shell, and question myself as to where I can go.

In high school I used to spend lunch in an empty piano room where I taught myself to play piano and wrote songs drawing pictures on paper where the note would be. I have songs that play in my head now, melodies that sound like a fading heart beat.

People I love waving goodbye in the fog I got lost in, I wish I could have showed them how much they meant but nothing I could ever draw or write conveyed what I meant.

I've always felt I didn't belong and in ways I didn't want to.

I've talked to some of the kindest people on these forums. Thank you for the help I never got anywhere else. Maybe someone can understand me.

These are the images and thoughts that plague my head:

I felt like posting so you know that someone wants to help.

I'm a bit out of touch because I've been quite socially isolated for some time, so you'll have to excuse if my attempts at helping you are crude (because I haven't helped many people recently).

I tend to have a thing for analysing people, so I'm hoping my analysis of you might be of some help in some way (as I do want to help you).

I've read over the image you attached of your thoughts, and despite the writings on paper (which you seem to feel limited by the limitations of words to express your point of view) you come across as an artist who prefers visual and audible references to express themselves, and the melody seems to be the key, the anchor in all of this.

As far as I can grasp, the people who loved you waving goodbye in the fog are people who have passed on (or have left you as though the fog of life, and death, has consumed them) and you're concerned that you too are now getting lost in the same fog, feeling unable to reach out or communicate with them (with the fog acting akin to a fog of war: preventing communication of either visual or spoken forms).

The melody acts as to the reminder of previous isolation away from other people, as though a warning sign from your subconscious as if to say 'warning, you're feel isolated, here is the melody of isolation to warn you'.

In effect, you want to cut through the fog and reach out to others, but you find yourself floating away. The flash of previously good memories but the inability to reach them is showing how you feel unable to escape the fog, the retreat into your mind a self-defence mechanism of escapism (by ignoring the external you can soften things, in the same way a gamer might use a virtual environment as a form of escapism). This is a natural occurrence and all people do it in different forms (alcoholics might blot out memories with alcohol to escape bad experiences. I personally introvert and imagine).

In a sense, your main theme is the fear of the loss of loved ones who you hold close, coupled with a sense of monotonity and sameness, as well as the inability to reach out for others for help, fearing criticisms from others who ultimately don't help you, so you replay previous experiences hoping to alleviate some of the depressive overtones with the subtle overall theming towards sleeping fog and thus death, with coupled preparation behaviours (setting aside finances etc).

When loved ones deal with the loss of someone, it isn't the financial cost of the funeral that bothers them, but the void of that person's absence (absence, as they say, makes the heart grow fonder, and, as the saying goes, you don't know what you have had until you've lost it).

People tend to take things that are always there for granted, not showing the appreciation for it. Consider how people use taps with water that but a hundred years ago (a single lifetime for some) would not be there, and are thus unaware how important, for cleaning, for drinking, for cooking, it is, until it's cut off or runs out.

People can naturally do this with other people, and when you experience it, it feels horrible because, in some way, you either feel very much ignored, unable to reach out, or used, as if you're a feature to take for granted. It's common for humans to not show their appreciation for who they have.

Likewise, I appreciate the fact you're around. You offer a different point of view, and I'm not much of an artist and I definitely cannot play the piano which is a skill you have there.

However, there are two things to consider here: one, people don't and won't always fully appreciate you are around (consider how mothers, only after their children have left the house, miss the children), and two, what kind of loss your absence might cause cannot simply be calculated in a financial means.

Indeed, if you read the stories of survivors of suicide (not people who survive suicide, as the phrase might imply, but the people who are left behind after the person has committed suicide, the ones who 'survive' it, so to speak), you will find most of them express regret for not telling the person who died how much they actually deep down loved them, and that they would have done anything to keep them around (in that they didn't care what problems or issues they had).

In my case, I appreciate you enough to take time out to write a reply to your thread hoping to help, even if my help might not be that helpful.

Groucho said:
Kid_A said:
For the past couple months I have been trapped in my head.

At night I can't sleep and all I want to do is sleep. I find myself in this aversive state of hopelessness and feeling so trapped that I can't help but research the means to an end. Having all the knowledge I need now, somehow makes me feel better. But I can't help researching more and more, even researching how families of bereaved can learn to cope.

I'm don't want to torture my family or cause them anymore pain. My head often aches when I stop using my daily mask, my shell, and question myself as to where I can go.

In high school I used to spend lunch in an empty piano room where I taught myself to play piano and wrote songs drawing pictures on paper where the note would be. I have songs that play in my head now, melodies that sound like a fading heart beat.

People I love waving goodbye in the fog I got lost in, I wish I could have showed them how much they meant but nothing I could ever draw or write conveyed what I meant.

I've always felt I didn't belong and in ways I didn't want to.

I've talked to some of the kindest people on these forums. Thank you for the help I never got anywhere else. Maybe someone can understand me.

These are the images and thoughts that plague my head:

I felt like posting so you know that someone wants to help.

I'm a bit out of touch because I've been quite socially isolated for some time, so you'll have to excuse if my attempts at helping you are crude (because I haven't helped many people recently).

I tend to have a thing for analysing people, so I'm hoping my analysis of you might be of some help in some way (as I do want to help you).

I've read over the image you attached of your thoughts, and despite the writings on paper (which you seem to feel limited by the limitations of words to express your point of view) you come across as an artist who prefers visual and audible references to express themselves, and the melody seems to be the key, the anchor in all of this.

As far as I can grasp, the people who loved you waving goodbye in the fog are people who have passed on (or have left you as though the fog of life, and death, has consumed them) and you're concerned that you too are now getting lost in the same fog, feeling unable to reach out or communicate with them (with the fog acting akin to a fog of war: preventing communication of either visual or spoken forms).

The melody acts as to the reminder of previous isolation away from other people, as though a warning sign from your subconscious as if to say 'warning, you're feel isolated, here is the melody of isolation to warn you'.

In effect, you want to cut through the fog and reach out to others, but you find yourself floating away. The flash of previously good memories but the inability to reach them is showing how you feel unable to escape the fog, the retreat into your mind a self-defence mechanism of escapism (by ignoring the external you can soften things, in the same way a gamer might use a virtual environment as a form of escapism). This is a natural occurrence and all people do it in different forms (alcoholics might blot out memories with alcohol to escape bad experiences. I personally introvert and imagine).

In a sense, your main theme is the fear of the loss of loved ones who you hold close, coupled with a sense of monotonity and sameness, as well as the inability to reach out for others for help, fearing criticisms from others who ultimately don't help you, so you replay previous experiences hoping to alleviate some of the depressive overtones with the subtle overall theming towards sleeping fog and thus death, with coupled preparation behaviours (setting aside finances etc).

When loved ones deal with the loss of someone, it isn't the financial cost of the funeral that bothers them, but the void of that person's absence (absence, as they say, makes the heart grow fonder, and, as the saying goes, you don't know what you have had until you've lost it).

People tend to take things that are always there for granted, not showing the appreciation for it. Consider how people use taps with water that but a hundred years ago (a single lifetime for some) would not be there, and are thus unaware how important, for cleaning, for drinking, for cooking, it is, until it's cut off or runs out.

People can naturally do this with other people, and when you experience it, it feels horrible because, in some way, you either feel very much ignored, unable to reach out, or used, as if you're a feature to take for granted. It's common for humans to not show their appreciation for who they have.

Likewise, I appreciate the fact you're around. You offer a different point of view, and I'm not much of an artist and I definitely cannot play the piano which is a skill you have there.

However, there are two things to consider here: one, people don't and won't always fully appreciate you are around (consider how mothers, only after their children have left the house, miss the children), and two, what kind of loss your absence might cause cannot simply be calculated in a financial means.

Indeed, if you read the stories of survivors of suicide (not people who survive suicide, as the phrase might imply, but the people who are left behind after the person has committed suicide, the ones who 'survive' it, so to speak), you will find most of them express regret for not telling the person who died how much they actually deep down loved them, and that they would have done anything to keep them around (in that they didn't care what problems or issues they had).

In my case, I appreciate you enough to take time out to write a reply to your thread hoping to help, even if my help might not be that helpful.

Thank you, you have incredible insight. You went beyond what most people would do and wrote me a very thoughtful response. I can't thank you enough.

Your analysis made me feel a little better about the things I've been experiencing. When it feels like I'm going crazy inside, your insightful analysis lays down some things that have never occurred to me before.

I appreciate you being around too. I'm very grateful, in fact.

Kid_A said:
Thank you, you have incredible insight. You went beyond what most people would do and wrote me a very thoughtful response. I can't thank you enough.

Your analysis made me feel a little better about the things I've been experiencing. When it feels like I'm going crazy inside, your insightful analysis lays down some things that have never occurred to me before.

Well, I'm just hoping it helps you make sense. The subconscious can be pretty abstract about what it's trying to talk about. Puns, double-meanings, even entire themes where context changes everything.

Groucho said:
Kid_A said:

Well, I'm just hoping it helps you make sense. The subconscious can be pretty abstract about what it's trying to talk about. Puns, double-meanings, even entire themes where context changes everything.

It did indeed help. Yes, yes it can be abstract. I'm back in America now and I've seen all the people I needed to see. Unfortunately, the human bonds were all in my head. People change and so do ties.

I've been taking walks in a state park near my residence and I'm finding more and more that I want to be a part of the scenery. This tranquility of silence. Knowing that I'll become food for something else when I pass on, something inside tells me it's going to be ok.

The song in my head has changed.

I've been avidly researching suicide. Why can't I think of nothing else? What are all the consequences? (i.e. failed attempts) How does this cognitive deconstruction come about?

I want to lift the veil on this seperate yet parallel world that shrouds me from everyone else.

Latest posts

Back