This is the life we chose

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolongerknow

Reaction score
+1 internet to whoever guesses the title's reference

This will probably be long but I need to put my problems down and hopefully reach people who have some similar experiences/feelings. I don't think I am worse off then other people living with loneliness, in fact I know there are people dealing with more pain, my heart truly goes out to anyone that at some stage 'googled' the words 'lonely life'. I know everyone’s experiences are painful in unique ways.

I am 25. Have had mental problems my WHOLE life, I can never remember a period of time when I was happy and “sane”. The first time I saw a psych I was 5/6, diagnosed as adhd and prescribed ritalin. when about 10 switched to dex. Started smoking pot when I was 12, it was instantly a daily thing ( my first escape from the stress of reality). At 14 was put on Anti-depressants, cycling through all of them, then settled on Luvox (Faverin). Doses Increased – Then at 15 was put on Zyprexa/Olanzapine (an Anti-Psychotic), still smoking pot daily.

Through these years at High-school I had a lot of paranoid/violent thoughts non-stop in my head. I was (I will admit) a wanna-be gangsta/ wigga, I listened to a lot of rap identifying with the anger and violence and the feeling of being born into a struggle. Also in my whole schooling years I had a large circle of friends, went to the 'cool' parties, drank and smoked pot with groups and was hated/feared and respected simultaneously. I hung around gangs and was chased by females. (there is a point to this, I sound arrogant right now but read on).

Despite opportunities I avoided gf's and sex at all costs. I had girls at parties bluntly offer sexual favours, and I would try to play it cool but inside I was panicked and thinking of the best way to run away, which I always did. Partly paranoia, though also because I lost my virginity when I was 7 (to an older girl – she was abused by her father) and that had effected me to some degree I still could not understand.

By 15 I was also drinking daily. I had escalating paranoid thoughts and running commentary in my head. My dad home-brewed beer and my mum always had about 4 litres of wine in the fridge. I never went to bed sober.

I was expelled from school on the last day of year ten and the next year started an Engineering/ Fitting and turning apprenticeship. At work I could read peoples minds, the thoughts and voices got worse. In my 3rd year I had to leave because I could not concentrate at all with the voices in my head and constant paranoia.

Around that time I met what I would consider my first actual gf. She was a gothic and self harmer and we had a very intense relationship. When we broke up I started cutting. One time I carved her 3 initials in my arm quite deep. Another time I woke up knowing I was going to do some serious damage that day. I tried talking myself out of it but it was inevitable, I bought a bottle of Jack Daniels and drank it on ice while doing surgery on my ankle so deep I saw bone – this time it was my initials “JK”. I had to wear a bandage for about 2 maybe 3 weeks.

Me and this girl were still seeing each other about once a month. For her it was 'booty calls' (even though she had a new bf), but for me it was so much more I was hopelessly in love with her.. She was shocked, even somewhat impressed when she saw my ankle, I said the JK stood for 'Just Kidding'.

Now I was 18 an drinking at least 12 beers a day. Still smoking pot. I got a job in retail and was considered fun to be around, as I was so eccentric I would sing and dance and was always cracking jokes while working. But all day I would have running commentary about everyone and everything. I would work 10 hour shifts at a checkout and all the thoughts in my head would turn into poetry which I would write down as soon as I got home cause I had to get it out of my head. These
writings were all suicidal/paranoid delusions and had a lot to do with the government.

I had another gf at this time and again that relationship was very intense, her father was a very important person and they were very well off. Paranoia got the worst of me in the end, and I completely cut this girl off. I was almost 21 at this stage.

I am completely over writing this now plus nothing of note has happened in my life in the last 5 years except changes in my drinking pattern.

I went from drinking my 16 or so beers to drinking 3 bottles of red wine. Then when I received a compensation payout from a back injury I sustained at work, I was at the liqour store at 9 am every morning bought a litre bottle of Jack Daniels (bigger then the normal bottles) and 12 beers. The math was something around 45 standard drinks a day – completely ridiculous.

Since I left school (16) I began isolating myself from my friends one by one. By 18 I pretty much had no friends left and didn't care because all I needed was solitude, internet, books, movies and alcohol. The only two girls I was with around this time knew about my social isolation/anxiety and didn't mind but I even messed that up by becoming too paranoid to hold dates/ go out in public with them. The relationships turned into the girl just coming over and watching me obliterate myself with alcohol and watching me cry about my pitiful life. And then I cut them off and have been alone ever since.

One last thing – I never initiated any relationship. I have always been too shy with no self esteem, it has been pure luck that I have even had these experiences. And I am now a diagnosed Paranoid Schizophrenic.

Pity Party over – I would like to be active in this community, I just had to get the truth out of the way first.

Thank-You to the 2 people who even read half of this :)

That's quite the story, my teenage years weren't pretty either, although I was harming people who deserved it rather than myself, maybe this Forum can help you manage some of your issues.

Anyway Welcome to the Forum, I hope you enjoy your stay :)

Btw, I'm not sure if this is right but is the title of the thread a reference to the Movie "Road to Perdition"? If not there is definitely a similar quote in that movie, when the main character explains to his son his job as a Hitman.

Well you seem pretty level-headed about all your life experiences.
I hope you have come to some sort of peace with yourself. I'm sure you would be able to give great advice if you so choose to do so here.

"my teenage years weren't pretty either, although I was harming people who deserved it rather than myself"

Yea, I had major anger issues mainly an obsession with revenge. I was personally involved in a number of fights, which I usually lost. When that happened I would have a 'friend' (lol I miss that word) teach someone a lesson.
I now have much less anger issues and think fighting is just a lack of self control and pretty much a sign saying "i have self esteem issues". I am at the core a very emotionally and physical weak person, I avoid confrontation at all costs. A lot of this is just due to the painful regret I get after I do someone wrong.

"Btw, I'm not sure if this is right but is the title of the thread a reference to the Movie "Road to Perdition"?" EHHHH wrong... jk

That is incorrect, is it a movie worth seeing though? I have not heard of it, but I love watching movies..
As a clue it is from a TV show.. VERY ingrained in pop culture..!

My problems when I was young stemmed from my internal conflict between the religion that my parents raised me with and my homosexuality. I eventually ditched religion altogether, and soon after people began to question my sexuality and I was bullied constantly for it. All the years of middle school, I was essentially harassed, called a faggot, had stuff thrown at me on the bus ride home in the afternoons, etc. I eventually became a cutter myself: my arms and legs mainly. The cutting subsided toward the end of 8th grade because I became upset that people would always ask me what the f*** happened to my arm, lol.

In high school I attended my first party, which threw me even further downhill because that was the first time I got drunk (I was 15 at the time, a freshman in high school). Using whatever connections I could from then on, I tried my best to get as many bottles of vodka that I could. I would sit up in my room at night and just constantly drink alone as often as possible. I remember just lying on my floor crying about how much I hated my life, etc. Those were pretty dark times.

Things changed a bit in high school, though, because people finally grew up and stopped harassing me for being gay. I should mention I live in Georgia, one of the most horrible places to live in the US if you are gay. I was actually impressed by the maturity level of most of my peers, so high school was a bit more comfortable, although I had a general feeling of disdain for just about everyone. I couldn't stand the popular girls and guys; their conversations always seemed so vacuous, pointless, stupid, etc. I didn't understand why it mattered who they were going to see later that night.

To get to the point, I hardly have any friends. I still thoroughly enjoy drinking as it does quite a decent job of taking my pain away. About 5 months ago a boyfriend that I was with for 8 months (my second longest relationship ever) cheated on me, so that was quite a huge heart break. I basically avoid guys altogether, so my romantic life is pretty much out of the question...

Which is why I'm here! lol

But yeah, we all have our own screwed up pasts that mess us up in the head... If you ever need to chat I'm here for you

Cheers

I won't go into detail about my fighting, I think I may make a thread about it sometime in the future though.

Well everyone has different tastes in what they like in a Movie, it won an Oscar though, so it definitely isn't bad. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a good Crime Drama.

I don't know what the title refers to then, if I had to guess based from your clue I'd say "The Simpsons", they've churned out a lot of good quotes in their time.

"Well you seem pretty level-headed about all your life experiences."

To be truthful that introduction was something i wrote and refined over two days in a word document, with the goal of posting it as an intro to this site.

"I hope you have come to some sort of peace with yourself. I'm sure you would be able to give great advice if you so choose to do so here."

I don't know if I would call it peace, but some understanding yes. I will be here, I want help and want to help others as well if I can. I have not checked out the other forums on this board, but I hope to bring some enjoyment to others lives, as you know, laughter is the most fun we can have with our clothes on! :)

Enjoy! (another movie quote)

P.S. the prize for guessing my post title reference is still up for grabs

Integrand - "stemmed from my internal conflict between the religion that my parents raised me with and my homosexuality" (THAT is a really tough situation)
I'd have to say the key word there is 'Religion'.. but tbh I was a Homophobe and treated people I expected were that way inclined cruelly through my HS years. This is something I regret to this day as I feel nobody ever deserves to be bullied or ridiculed for something like that.
I have worked with a few 'gay' people ( I mean there are more homosexuals in this world then red-heads some perspective there) and they were great guys. The only problem I have with a 'gay man' is when they know I am not that way and try on purpose to make me uncomfortable, I have only met one person like this and I had to physically remove myself from the situation. (It was a friend of a friend and he was just being a drunk fuckwit)

"I would sit up in my room at night and just constantly drink alone" "I remember just lying on my floor crying about how much I hated my life, etc" - SO been there

"If you ever need to chat I'm here for you" "Cheers" - Thanks mate, Cheers to you

Pezza -
"if I had to guess based from your clue I'd say "The Simpsons", they've churned out a lot of good quotes in their time. "
Correct.. I don't remember the exact details but there was Milhouse and a bunch of other 'nerds' and one was getting a wedgie i think by 'Jimbo' and he said in a nasaly voice "This is the life we chose".. But after you said that movie got an oscar I kinda wonder if that's where they lifted the quote from.. they do that a lot :)

Hoffy -
"The God Father?"

It would make sense. I've never actually watched the whole thing through, but I could Imagine it in GoodFellas or something which is a ******* classic...

Thanks for all responses - I had to chuck in a game to make myself worthy of attention.
:)

"This is the life we chose, this is the life we lead. And there is only one guarantee: That none of us will see heaven."

Edit - i actually just copied and pasted that from google to make myself look good. I'm rather quite thick ;)

read all of it attentively. what are you doing day to day now, if you dont mind me asking?

being told you have something wrong in your head before the age of maturity (whatever that may be) is going to cause things to go wrong in your head anyway, i believe. how can a child understand ADHD or prescription meds or paranoia or fear or any complex adult emotion? adults struggle enough to cope with these things as it is - it's horrific to lay such weight upon a child

i knew from a very early age i was inescapably different, and so always managed to avoid going to therapy or getting a diagnosis - i treated myself as mentally ill, but decided i would be my own therapist, healer and friend (when i could tolerate myself ;D )

you have not chosen this life. god, your parents, the government who allow children to be medicated before their personalities are fully, or even slightly, developed, the entire world and the sum of all history and existence are to blame.

but not you! and i am not saying that sarcastically. how dare adults affect the lives of children so drastically without even a second thought? i am 22 but long have i abhorred adults for agism, self-importance and their willingness to affect the lives of others with utter disregard for the consequences. i'm truly sorry that your life was so negatively affected by others.

hope this provides some productive and "looking forward"-type thoughts

the future isn't over yet!

nolongerknow said:
The only problem I have with a 'gay man' is when they know I am not that way and try on purpose to make me uncomfortable, I have only met one person like this and I had to physically remove myself from the situation. (It was a friend of a friend and he was just being a drunk fuckwit)

That's very common for a lot of straight guys, and it is completely understandable. I mean, I wouldn't really appreciate a girl hitting on me knowing that I am gay (which I would imagine is definitely hard for you to understand, haha) but I find it disrespectful, and I can assure you I am not like that.

Poguesy
"This is the life we chose, this is the life we lead. And there is only one guarantee: That none of us will see heaven."

Hey pal Google is for cheats..jk I have a Google substance abuse disorder - I'm not this far along though http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/ - a Church devoted to Google.

But where is that quote from? it does sound vaguely familiar.

integrand - I wouldn't really appreciate a girl hitting on me knowing that I am gay (which I would imagine is definitely hard for you to understand, haha)

Not so hard to understand. I do have girls 'flirt' with me, but I am such a shy and paranoid person I do not reciprocate I almost ******* run-away, then regret it deeply afterwards. All I am looking for is a nice, emotionally messed girl for a relationship lol. They must be out there - just a girl that understands that I am (usually) trying my best.

nolongerknow said:
Poguesy

Hey pal Google is for cheats..jk I have a Google substance abuse disorder - I'm not this far along though http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/ - a Church devoted to Google.

But where is that quote from? it does sound vaguely familiar.

integrand - I wouldn't really appreciate a girl hitting on me knowing that I am gay (which I would imagine is definitely hard for you to understand, haha)

Not so hard to understand. I do have girls 'flirt' with me, but I am such a shy and paranoid person I do not reciprocate I almost ******* run-away, then regret it deeply afterwards. All I am looking for is a nice, emotionally messed girl for a relationship lol. They must be out there - just a girl that understands that I am (usually) trying my best.

Tis be from the road to perdy like pezzaroo said ;)

good luck with your midnight plight, must've been hard all of it.
Are you working on your problems? Are you still dirnking and smoking pot?What do you think is the main problem?
"......non violently, because violence begets violence y'know, and if you run around wild you get smacked, and thats it y'know thats the laws of the universe" "You just gotta work on the good bit of it"
I think you can pull yourself out of whatever pit you're in, don't you?

ahh not too sure what you mean by 'midnight plight' but yes I am working on my problems (at least I like to think I am)
and no I no longer smoke pot but do still drink too much. Am on Naltrex.one to help with alcohol cravings..

Thanks for your reply

Latest posts

Back