This sentence is...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This sentence is...

• Total voters
LMAO yeh yeh:p So that makes the statement wrong.. So means it is false again?? O dang..

I'm no grammar master or anything, as a matter of fact I think grammar is the scum of the earth and should go die somewhere, but I'm pretty sure that isn't a complete sentence, so it's not true.....?

NeverMore said:
I'm no grammar master or anything, as a matter of fact I think grammar is the scum of the earth and should go die somewhere, but I'm pretty sure that isn't a complete sentence, so it's not true.....?

This sentence [subject] is [verb] true/false [adjective].

It has a subject and a verb, so it is very much a complete sentence.

Just read it as either This sentence is true. or This sentence is false.

This sentence is true. is a neutral statement.

whereas

This sentence is false. is a paradox.

If the sentence really is false, then the sentence would be true (in stating that it is false); however, if it is true in stating that it is false, then it is false, and therefore true, and therefore false, and therefore true, and therefore false, so on and so forth....

It's a matter of choice, but the only statement that is not paradoxical is This sentence is true.

The sentence, taking the ellipse in to account, is contextually self defining depending on the choice between which adjective is chosen.

If you remove the ellipse and replace it with a single period, it's true. Because then the sentence is stating it's own existence. And the sentence obviously exists, so the statement is true. :)

Liapos said:
NeverMore said:

whereas

If the sentence really is false, then the sentence would be true (in stating that it is false); however, if it is true in stating that it is false, then it is false, and therefore true, and therefore false, and therefore true, and therefore false, so on and so forth....

It's a matter of choice, but the only statement that is not paradoxical is This sentence is true.

Guess by the time Nevermore posted this, you edited it to "This sentence is.... Vote" <---- guess not a sentence

Edit: The time its was edited and the time the post was made.

Liapos edited @ - This post was last modified: Yesterday 01:14 PM by Liapos.

Nevermore posted @ - Yesterday 09:19 PM

This is according to my time zone so it may differ in yours.

Sanal said:
Liapos said:
NeverMore said:

whereas

Guess by the time Nevermore posted this, you edited it to "This sentence is.... Vote" <---- guess not a sentence

Edit: The time its was edited and the time the post was made.

Liapos edited @ - This post was last modified: Yesterday 01:14 PM by Liapos.

Nevermore posted @ - Yesterday 09:19 PM

This is according to my time zone so it may differ in yours.

THERE IS A ******* POLL ;.;

Steel said:
If false wins, does the universe implode?

Hopefully it waits until after work.

Latest posts

Back