What should young people do with their lives now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMO, they should continually try to become a congressman. You need no qualifications, no experience, you just need to get elected. The beginning pay is $174,000. That seems fair (NOT). But, honeysuckle screw getting an education, certifications, experience, etc, etc, etc. Just become a politician. The only thing you really have to work at is keeping your job. Plus you'll get all kinds of money under the table to vote certain ways. No need to care what happens. The country is already a **** mess.

https://www.congressionalinstitute.org/2019/02/21/how-much-do-members-of-congress-get-paid-2/

It really is good pay for a job that requires absolutely no qualifying characteristics. Insanity seems to be of benefit these days.

Just live it as best you're able? It's not infinite. It sometimes ends before any goal is reached. Not a hard question

I'm not quite sure how to accomplish it, but a renaissance of practicality and humbleness is in a significant higher demand of necessity than most of what is desired by consumer society, and that's really kind of the thing that capitalist America doesn't address often:

If thankless jobs continue to be thankless, eventually nobody will be willing to work them and the fact that the compensation doesn't cover basic living expenses pretty much confirms an inevitable collapse.

It's like the relationship between sugar and diabetes and cavities: Sugar is fine, but too much sugar and left without care eventually leads to diabetes and cavities. 🤷‍♂️

It basically looks and sounds like:
"Hi I need this job to get done, but I don't want to pay for it to get done."

And that mentality is what needs to systemically change.

One piece of advice I tend to give out, keep yourself underneath the radar. You can get away with much more honeysuckle that way

Yeah he likes all or nothing. His zero covid policy it's much appreciated though.

Yeah, Xi Xinping's all or nothing policy means that those who don't share the same political ideals as him are dealt with often in brutal fashion.

Go all-in on automating all jobs, which will force us to evolve beyond capitalism once and for all.

Other than that, I really don't know.

The problem with capitalism is, it's not like other games - with other games, you can choose to play them or not, and if you're not good at one game, or not interested in it, you can choose to play something else.
With capitalism, you're in the game whether you want to be or not, whether you're good at it or not, whether you're interested in it or not. Participation isn't voluntary, but compulsory on pain of starvation or exposure.

All the while, they tell you how "free" you are. Gaslighting at its finest.

They tell you that you're supposed to want to work for the world...but that's the thing, I don't agree with the direction the world is going in, and I certainly don't agree with the direction that Musk, Bezos, and their ilk have for us. I don't want to work for their vision, because as far as I'm concerned, their vision is to maybe make superficial things better, while core quality of life gets worse, all just so they can have more money, stuff, power, ego. There's nothing futuristic about it, in fact, it's regressive. As I've said before, I'm not anti-tech, I just don't like the way it seems like it's being used, to transfer wealth upwards instead of to strengthen and expand the middle class, and make the middle class lifestyle MORE accessible, not less.

I don't think tech is actually being used to better the human condition in a meaningful way - it's being used to regress us back to The Gilded Age or even worse all the way back to feudalism, instead of to progress us towards technological utopia and with it a more civilized, less Darwinian world - which I think should be its true purpose, to soften the edges of nature and to set people free to have more leisure time to enjoy their lives. I think that should be the great "war" of our time - the War on Drudgery.

That's always been something that's bothered me about it. I don't like being forced to work for goals, plans, visions and direction for the world, that I disagree with. I don't want to be forced to work for someone else's strengthening, and my own demise.

I mean, I can understand that getting good at something is inherently beneficial, gives you a sense of purpose, direction, identity, and self-esteem. But it would be nice if we could really pick what craft to try to master. With the way things are, we're kind of stuck in panic mode - technically sure, you're free to study whatever you want. But in practice only a few skills pay enough to live an at least normal life. If you just so happen to be suited to those skills, great, you won't have any problems and you probably won't understand how anyone could have a problem with it, either. But if you're not suited to it, then your only choice is to try to fit yourself where you really don't, or else languish in misery.

I think we should use tech to evolve beyond this. However, despite having the tech to outgrow it or at least start to work towards outgrowing it, it seems we've opted to keep the weird, cultish, puritanical misery fest going, for misery's sake.

Yay 😒 (n)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back