Tips on moving on?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bereaved

Reaction score
By now, some of you may be familiar with a thread I started about my jealousy. If you followed it you would find out that I was left by my girlfriend for my best friend (Should I continue calling him that until now? Haven't spoken to him since my ex dumped me.).

Currently, I've been having mood swings and sleeplessness accompanied by sadness, depression, and anger. It's obvious I haven't moved on yet.

I started this thread because I want input from the community regarding "moving on".

Sure, this hasn't been my first break-up but I'm sure this was my first "serious" relationship.

So, guys, any tips?

Here's one of my own: Reflect on the good stuff and the bad stuff.
Another one: Try your best to be happy.

I'm not going to lie, it's going to be rough for awhile. Do your best to keep yourself busy. Reflect, but don't dwell. Don't blame yourself, or waste time thinking about what you could have done differently. It's okay to feel vulnerable right now, and the things you're feeling right now is normal, as shitty as it may feel.

I know it's cliche, but time heals wounds. You'll still have the memories, a scar, but keep in mind that things will get better.

I agree completely with Shells. You have to take time to heal. How long will be particular to you.

Shells is pretty much right.

And about your "friend"....you could talk to him, but if you're going to do that then you have to be blunt. Tell him that he messed you over by taking the girl from you. If he acts like it's no big deal, get rid of him. If he apologizes (but still wants the girl), then you might consider forgiving him.

All of that is just some advice that would probably mend things...but honestly? I'd get rid of the guy. I wouldn't stick around with a friend who moved in on my girl. *shrug*

Another tip would be to learn from this experience, but don't expect the same result in your next relationship. Just because this chick dropped you doesn't mean that the next girl will. Just try to learn from your mistakes, count this as a learning experience, and remember the good times. :) I think you'll be alright.

----Steve

Well, I don't know the details as to why the breakup occurred, but if there is no good reason and she is just being a ***** then do talk to your friend... Warn him that she could dump him for someone else just as easily and that this whole thing is coming between you... There may be too much infatuation right now, but in time you may be able to get him to dump her...

IMO, don't give away your heart so easily... We are all first and foremost alone... There is such a thing as too much of a good thing... Never assume everything is fine, try not to argue, and keep in mind it could end anytime... This is what you learn from a breakup...

So move on and know that next time you will be ready... Next time you can take things slower, not lose your cool to arguments, and proceed knowing it could end at any time so you don't get too attached...

If you transcend attachment, you will transcend suffering... Keep yourself busy and try not to dwell on it too much...

I would possibly keep the friend, but he certainly wouldn't be have the word, "best" in his title. If your best friend is the kind of guy who would take your girl, you need better friends.

well...that's why some of my post are long...somewhere in there, I did mentioned about my fiance and my best friend.
Writting is healing for me. So that I don't have to carry all the honeysuckle inside of me....
With a best freind like him...who needs enemies. Even though he appolgized and braced for me to punch him...I didn't at that moment.
Ultimately I did kicked his ass. I almost killed him. Poeple had to pull me off of him becuase I was in state of rage.
It was back in the days when freind cound fist fight and not kill each other. Violent wasn't the best answer, but I had
to put the blame where the blame belongs and let go. And I swear to him from that moment, that if he ever hurts her in anyway
I'd hunt him down and kill him. He ended up marrying her.

They did end up getting a diviorce. Years later.
I did end up living with her and trying again. At that time in my life..I hadn't work through really forgiving her. It was still in the back of my mind somewhere.
mmmm...it's always going to be in the back of my mind...evidently i havn't forgotten. I'm writting about it.Errr..I didn't kill enough brain cells? LoL
Abusing drugs and alcohol didn't healed me of it...it just numb me out for a while...but then again, I needed to know I can go on even if it was getting messed up out
of my fucken mind and having women throw themselves at me. I needed to know...if my life was going to be messed up, it was me at the wheels. lol

No...I don't cry about it anymore....There's another chick I'm crying over:p
However being able to write about it now without pains running through my vains ..i guess I recovered from it. There's a narley ass scar though. Oh will, it happens
to the best of us....

It's difficult to tell becuase everyone process and react to it different.
Only you and you alone knows how extensive the hurt and pains within youself.
It's not is if people can stick a prob in you...and get a dyagnostic printout of your thinking process and emotions

Don't isolate.
Talk to people. Just go out and have fun. Meet new poeple. Do wild crazy things. Give yourself a break.
It's ok to cry. It's ok to feel angery. It's ok to feel the hatered....it's ok to feel.
Don't internalized what other's actions and turn it against yourself.
Be willing to trust again. It's difficult, but please give yourself a break. No, you don't have to trust everyone.
No, not everyone is the same. No, not everyone is worthy of your trust.
There where plenty of women that were/is willing to take me home and wanted to love me back to life.
I'm not so sure if JADDED is stampped on my forehead. For some reason I attracted a lot of women that wants to fix me.
It's not like I talk about me ex when I go out...

Go out, put yourself out there. Get the blood flow going. It's better than sitting home alone picking at your wounds.
Don't become your own worst enemy. You have enough already.

As far as friendship...that too takes time.

Healing takes time...but time alone will not heal your wounds. For me wasn't so much that I wouldn't move on...it wasn't the first
time a I had a relationship. And it was the first time I lost close male friends...it was the circumstance and what happened.
I had something similar that happened to me a couple of years ago. My ex-gf cheated on me with someone I had be friended.
It was like reliving the nightmare again. Even with the death of Jenni. Andrea was HS GF..she died during our senior year in HS.
I totally lost it..that was my breaking piont. Everything got retriggered plus on top of the circumstances I was going through.

There's some spiritaul books that kind explain what happened to me...but it might be way too out there for you....
" A broken heart is an open heart"....what happened to me recently retriggered or brought up a lot of pains that I wanted to let go.
Kind of like..the human body will push out a splinter...Yeap, that what it was like...Andrea's death and my fiancee was like a slither in my mind or thorn in my side.
Bascailly god broke my heart and reached deep inside of heart and pull the DIS-EASE (pain) out of me. It was painful becuase my heart had to be broken or cutted into in order
for the pains to be remove..becuase it didn't heal right the first time. I nevered grieved for Andrea and i never forgave Lois...I just burried it inside of me.
The healing came from god...not from people, places and things...that if you beliving in god and that there's a reason for everything.

Anyway..i came across the sedona Methdoe less than a year ago. It's a healing and letting program. It helped me alot mentally and emotionally.
I notice great improvement and didn't felt stuck in all of the termoil. I notice progress within myself...It gave me hope...becuase for a while , i thought
I wasn't ever going to snap out of it. It's without the god thing. I can't do the god thing at the moment...becuase I have too many fucken questions.
Actaully just one....FUCKEN WHY????? The sedona methdoe gets me away from trying to figure it out. Trying to figure it out drove me nucken futz.
Trying to figure it out..is bascailly me picking at my wounds...the more i pick at my wounds, the more infected it'll get and the wounds never heals.
It's just simple and direct. Don't figure it out and just let go.

Sometimes...you have to play through the pains after you get knock on your ass. Pick yourself back up, stay in the game, life gose on.
My feelings won't kill me...putting a .38 specail to my head might.
Follow your hopes and dreams. Make a simple dicision to be happy no matter what...everyday , one day at a time.

This is onething I've notice about my life. As soon as I let go of a woman another woman will simply step into my life. Even , now as I'm writting this.

Lonesome Crow said:
well...that's why some of my post are long...somewhere in there, I did mentioned about my fiance and my best friend.
Writting is healing for me. So that I don't have to carry all the honeysuckle inside of me....
With a best freind like him...who needs enemies. Even though he appolgized and braced for me to punch him...I didn't at that moment.
Ultimately I did kicked his ass. I almost killed him. Poeple had to pull me off of him becuase I was in state of rage.
It was back in the days when freind cound fist fight and not kill each other. Violent wasn't the best answer, but I had
to put the blame where the blame belongs and let go. And I swear to him from that moment, that if he ever hurts her in anyway
I'd hunt him down and kill him. He ended up marrying her.

They did end up getting a diviorce. Years later.
I did end up living with her and trying again. At that time in my life..I hadn't work through really forgiving her. It was still in the back of my mind somewhere.
mmmm...it's always going to be in the back of my mind...evidently i havn't forgotten. I'm writting about it.Errr..I didn't kill enough brain cells? LoL
Abusing drugs and alcohol didn't healed me of it...it just numb me out for a while...but then again, I needed to know I can go on even if it was getting messed up out
of my fucken mind and having women throw themselves at me. I needed to know...if my life was going to be messed up, it was me at the wheels. lol

No...I don't cry about it anymore....There's another chick I'm crying over:p
However being able to write about it now without pains running through my vains ..i guess I recovered from it. There's a narley ass scar though. Oh will, it happens
to the best of us....

It's difficult to tell becuase everyone process and react to it different.
Only you and you alone knows how extensive the hurt and pains within youself.
It's not is if people can stick a prob in you...and get a dyagnostic printout of your thinking process and emotions

Don't isolate.
Talk to people. Just go out and have fun. Meet new poeple. Do wild crazy things. Give yourself a break.
It's ok to cry. It's ok to feel angery. It's ok to feel the hatered....it's ok to feel.
Don't internalized what other's actions and turn it against yourself.
Be willing to trust again. It's difficult, but please give yourself a break. No, you don't have to trust everyone.
No, not everyone is the same. No, not everyone is worthy of your trust.
There where plenty of women that were/is willing to take me home and wanted to love me back to life.
I'm not so sure if JADDED is stampped on my forehead. For some reason I attracted a lot of women that wants to fix me.
It's not like I talk about me ex when I go out...

Go out, put yourself out there. Get the blood flow going. It's better than sitting home alone picking at your wounds.
Don't become your own worst enemy. You have enough already.

As far as friendship...that too takes time.

Healing takes time...but time alone will not heal your wounds. For me wasn't so much that I wouldn't move on...it wasn't the first
time a I had a relationship. And it was the first time I lost close male friends...it was the circumstance and what happened.
I had something similar that happened to me a couple of years ago. My ex-gf cheated on me with someone I had be friended.
It was like reliving the nightmare again. Even with the death of Jenni. Andrea was HS GF..she died during our senior year in HS.
I totally lost it..that was my breaking piont. Everything got retriggered plus on top of the circumstances I was going through.

There's some spiritaul books that kind explain what happened to me...but it might be way too out there for you....
" A broken heart is an open heart"....what happened to me recently retriggered or brought up a lot of pains that I wanted to let go.
Kind of like..the human body will push out a splinter...Yeap, that what it was like...Andrea's death and my fiancee was like a slither in my mind or thorn in my side.
Bascailly god broke my heart and reached deep inside of heart and pull the DIS-EASE (pain) out of me. It was painful becuase my heart had to be broken or cutted into in order
for the pains to be remove..becuase it didn't heal right the first time. I nevered grieved for Andrea and i never forgave Lois...I just burried it inside of me.
The healing came from god...not from people, places and things...that if you beliving in god and that there's a reason for everything.

Anyway..i came across the sedona Methdoe less than a year ago. It's a healing and letting program. It helped me alot mentally and emotionally.
I notice great improvement and didn't felt stuck in all of the termoil. I notice progress within myself...It gave me hope...becuase for a while , i thought
I wasn't ever going to snap out of it. It's without the god thing. I can't do the god thing at the moment...becuase I have too many fucken questions.
Actaully just one....FUCKEN WHY????? The sedona methdoe gets me away from trying to figure it out. Trying to figure it out drove me nucken futz.
Trying to figure it out..is bascailly me picking at my wounds...the more i pick at my wounds, the more infected it'll get and the wounds never heals.
It's just simple and direct. Don't figure it out and just let go.

Sometimes...you have to play through the pains after you get knock on your ass. Pick yourself back up, stay in the game, life gose on.
My feelings won't kill me...putting a .38 specail to my head might.
Follow your hopes and dreams. Make a simple dicision to be happy no matter what...everyday , one day at a time.

This is onething I've notice about my life. As soon as I let go of a woman another woman will simply step into my life. Even , now as I'm writting this.

Thanks, man. Appreciate the long reply. :p IMO, suicide is never an option. When you mentioned guns, I thought it was a bit funny because I just came from the firing range :p (helps keep my mind off things)

I'm sorry to hear that but to get over it you gotta spend some time going out and u know going places meet new people or hang out with friends and i know i've been dumped and it SUCKS!!!!

Lonesome Crow said:
I hope that works out for me as well. Thus far no, it has not... sorry I get agitated at lines like that... I always have to say something.

time mopping ranting this site has helped me a lot since my 2nd existential crisis and just having a place to kill time to distract my thoughts of loneliness helps

also exercise is a great anti depressant in my junior year after all my honeysuckle went down i went to the gym like everyday after school i would turn on my ipod and just hit the racketball against the well, then i would ride the bike machines while listening to music and reading

endorphins and activities to eat up free time you would've spent thinking about her is a great idea

time is good, though the scar my still remain, the pain will dull over time

talking helps just getting it off your chest

and hacking into their Facebook account and changing their status to is a whore never hurt either :p

*hugs*

Hugs.jpg

Ok. Im gonna be a little unconventional here. While your waiting on time to heal your heart and your stuck there in limbo with your thoughts and the pain, here are some things to help you get over a relationship...or at least have a good laugh.

Do you have a picture of her? Put a bulls eye on it and throw darts at it.

Have a picture of her on the computer? You wouldnt believe how much fun you can have with that....lol Give her a nice set of horns with flames shooting out of her ass (liar liar pants on fire) or a mustaches...or both :p Trust me, it is therapeutic.

Get it all out! Scream, cry, hit a pillow, whatever helps.

GO OUT! See a movie, whatever. Just go out.

Don't loose faith. All women aren't like her.

Take some comfort in knowing if she had been the woman for you, she wouldn't have broken your heart. Thank god that you aren't wasting your time with her now. Can't find Miss Right if your hanging on to Mrs Don't have my honeysuckle together

And if you have time on your hands, you can visit the breakup board.
http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-rlbreaking

Naleena said:
Don't loose faith. All women aren't like her

She's a HE..?!?!? LoL jk

Ok, on the serious note.. Best tip on moving on is keeping yourself busy. You might not want to be around friends, you might not even have an appetite for days/weeks and just want to isloate yourself to the world.. but honestly, whats that going to accomplish.

I havent read the whole entire thread but all I can say is time heals all. Think about what happened in the relationship, learn from it and take what you've experienced to the next one. Remember, as corny as it sounds, theres a reason why everything happens the way it does. Maybe you guys weren't really meant to be.. maybe somewhere down the line you would've gotten hurt even more.. maybe god has something better for you in store and this was just a bump on the road in order for you to make the next the bestest that you ever had... I DONT KNOW.

But hey.. Im sure you've felt like this before from your last break-up and stood tall after time. If you were able to do that then Im sure that, down the road, you'll be back into your usual smile.

PhryskO said:
I havent read the whole entire thread

"Whole entire"? Lmao.

Seriously, it's only a two page thread, reading it shouldn't be THAT hard.

PhryskO said:
Naleena said:
Don't loose faith. All women aren't like him

She's a HE..?!?!? LoL jk

Ok, on the serious note.. Best tip on moving on is keeping yourself busy. You might not want to be around friends, you might not even have an appetite for days/weeks and just want to isloate yourself to the world.. but honestly, whats that going to accomplish.

I havent read the whole entire thread but all I can say is time heals all. Think about what happened in the relationship, learn from it and take what you've experienced to the next one. Remember, as corny as it sounds, theres a reason why everything happens the way it does. Maybe you guys weren't really meant to be.. maybe somewhere down the line you would've gotten hurt even more.. maybe god has something better for you in store and this was just a bump on the road in order for you to make the next the bestest that you ever had... I DONT KNOW.

But hey.. Im sure you've felt like this before from your last break-up and stood tall after time. If you were able to do that then Im sure that, down the road, you'll be back into your usual smile.

pppssttt......I dont think those stick dudes in your signature are gonna be....err....thinking outside the box anymore.

EveWasFramed said:
PhryskO said:
Naleena said:

She's a HE..?!?!? LoL jk

pppssttt......I dont think those stick dudes in your signature are gonna be....err....thinking outside the box anymore.
Wow.. so this is what i get for trying to help out. How welcoming for a noob to put in his 2 cents only to get shot down by people who try to help out others who need advice.

Nice.. and one more thing..
ghjghjjhg1mm5le5fg.gif

PhryskO said:
EveWasFramed said:
PhryskO said:
Naleena said:

She's a HE..?!?!? LoL jk

Wow.. so this is what i get for trying to help out. How welcoming for a noob to put in his 2 cents only to get shot down by people who try to help out others who need advice.

Nice.. and one more thing..
ghjghjjhg1mm5le5fg.gif

And this is how a noob says thanks for a compliment on his humerous signature? :club:

I forgive you - the second one makes up for it. :p

Haha....ironically enough, talking about the off-topic stick figures has put us off-topic.

Latest posts

Back