Trouble sleeping.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can agree with needing noise to fall asleep to. I've had problems going to sleep since I can remember. I've tried a variety of things ranging from mild sedatives to reading books, to drinking warm milk and taking baths.

The weird thing is, the more "prepared" I get for sleep, the harder it is to fall asleep. However, have me out on the couch just watching TV, or being somewhere just about anywhere that I'm not supposed to sleep, or at a time or position I'm not to sleep in....and I'll fall asleep. It still baffles me. v.v

I can't just lay there anymore. My thoughts run rampant and have caused me to end up crying myself to sleep because I can't shut my brain off and get to thinking about negative things. Thus noise and keeping myself up to the point where I pretty much pass out are essential for me, for the most part.

Bella said:
I'm sure there are people here who have difficulty sleeping. It tends to come hand in hand with the various types of emotional hardships many people are afflicted with.
Do you have any rituals before bedtime?
Do you know anything that definitely improves quality and duration of sleep?
Or do you just want to talk about what you've tried or how inconvenient your insomnia is?

Discuss.

I drooped of last night only to be waking up again by the phone going of. Could not get back to sleep again. I had had a coffee with brandy in a few hours be for so I know for me the coffee would had not helped.

I find if I have something like potato foods be for bed like chips or backed potato as opposed to rise or pasta that I sleep better. And absolutely nothing like caffeine drinks.

Also moderate exercise helps in the day.

And if your in bed and you can not sleep don't just lay there trying. Get out and do something like read a book or go on the computer is what I would do. Don't try and sleep if your not feeling like it. Also avoid laying in in the morning. Get up at a reasonable time even if you have not had much sleep as that well make it you sleep better the night after.

This are the things I know that help me. Its not very often I have trouble sleeping but I do now and again. I do this things and most of the time am OK.

insomnia sucks big time. And it makes you feel crap for the rest of the day as well. I think having a good nights sleep is moor important them most ppl think.

I've experienced 'Couch Syndrome' too to some extent, lol. It's weird how it's easier to fall asleep there. I can't figure it out. Maybe it's a comfort thing....bah, I'm flipping my mattress tonight.

On the subject of sleep paralysis, something weird happened to me a couple weeks back when we were still shoveling snow. I'd had a short night's sleep and was having trouble getting out of bed for work. I was dozing in and out of sleep when my cell phone started ringing and I knew it was my boss. My heart instantly went from idle to full-out RED LINE because I know he gets pissed when one of us is late (even though I wasn't late this particular morning). I lept out of bed and ran to grab my phone, got hold of it kinda with my left hand, but for some reason my whole arm from the elbow down was just frozen. I could kinda feel it but I couldn't control any sort of motion and I struggled to open my phone, dropping it in the process. If I recall right I had to use my right hand to open it. I don't think the arm was asleep because I gained usage shortly after.

It was a disturbing sensation though. I don't think I've experienced that sort of panic before. It was almost total loss of control, just a straight-up freak out. Fear incarnate. Maybe I give my boss too much power in my life, lol.

Brian said:
I've experienced 'Couch Syndrome' too to some extent, lol. It's weird how it's easier to fall asleep there. I can't figure it out. Maybe it's a comfort thing....bah, I'm flipping my mattress tonight.

On the subject of sleep paralysis, something weird happened to me a couple weeks back when we were still shoveling snow. I'd had a short night's sleep and was having trouble getting out of bed for work. I was dozing in and out of sleep when my cell phone started ringing and I knew it was my boss. My heart instantly went from idle to full-out RED LINE because I know he gets pissed when one of us is late (even though I wasn't late this particular morning). I lept out of bed and ran to grab my phone, got hold of it kinda with my left hand, but for some reason my whole arm from the elbow down was just frozen. I could kinda feel it but I couldn't control any sort of motion and I struggled to open my phone, dropping it in the process. If I recall right I had to use my right hand to open it. I don't think the arm was asleep because I gained usage shortly after.

It was a disturbing sensation though. I don't think I've experienced that sort of panic before. It was almost total loss of control, just a straight-up freak out. Fear incarnate. Maybe I give my boss too much power in my life, lol.

Imagine waking up with both of your legs like that. Then them not recovering. That's what happend to me. After over a year in a wheelchair I did start to walk again. But ye that is basically what happend to me. I went to bed and the next day could not use or feel my legs.

Now if I wake up and Ive been sleeped on my arm like you I do have fear. You just reminded me of that.

Yeah, I've heard some pretty scary sleep paralysis stories. Makes me scared to go to sleep! :( That's a shame that happened to you, Bluey...I can't even imagine it. Could you feel your legs, just not move them? what's the science behind all this?

I don't think I slept on my arm that morning though...I didn't have the tingling sensation. Just...frozen, in the middle of my panic to answer that phone >.<

Brian said:
Yeah, I've heard some pretty scary sleep paralysis stories. Makes me scared to go to sleep! :( That's a shame that happened to you, Bluey...I can't even imagine it. Could you feel your legs, just not move them? what's the science behind all this?

I don't think I slept on my arm that morning though...I didn't have the tingling sensation. Just...frozen, in the middle of my panic to answer that phone >.<

Well I don't think it had anything to do with sleep paralysis. Maybe it did and maybe it did not. I well never know. The doctors had only heard of one other women it happend to and to my knowledge she remains in a wheelchair to this day. I was also told that I would never walk again and can remember at 11 years old when this happend getting told of by the nursers because I keep trying to get out of bed. I did learn to walk again all be it very slow and with physio therapy every single day of my childhood. The problem was I was still growing as I was recovering so my right leg grow faster and recovered faster then my left. This gave me a limp and made me walk uneven which in turn Burt my spine over witch is now like an "S" shape. I had to go back into hospital at 18 to have operations on my spin. But still all this has left my back so messed up that I well never work again. I still don't feel a lot in my left leg and its still shorter and weaker then my right. Even tho I did have something sticking out of my leg for 9 months to lengthen it by 6 center meters.

As unbelievable as all this sounds that I got out of bed one morning and could not walk I swear that it is the truth. How little I know then at 11 how much that one thing would really rip my life to bits. Someone else on here who suffers with a disability said that she thought ppl who had not been disabled from birth have a moor difficult time to except what they are left with. I would have to agree with her as I have never been able to except having poor health and a body that's twisted up.

A blog I did about it all If your interested :)

Sorry for going a bit off-topic here everyone. Am sure I well be forgiven :D

I've never had the paralysis happen to me. I do suffer from sleep apnea. I went and had a sleep study done. On that particular occasion I was waking up every 2 1/2 minutes on average. Almost 200 times over 8 hours. Now, that's not fully awake and aware of course. For anyone that's not familiar with apnea one of the major causes is when you stop breathing for just an instant and your body reacts by coming out of sleep to keep from suffocating. There can be various causes of the stopping of breathing, in my case it's the fact that my throat is tighter than it should be and closes off slightly. I'm supposed to wear a mask hooked to a machine that blows air into my nose and keeps the airway open, but it's not comfortable and keeps me awake itself. I've gotten used to the broken sleep and actually have more trouble with restlessness.

LonelyDragon said:
I've never had the paralysis happen to me. I do suffer from sleep apnea. I went and had a sleep study done. On that particular occasion I was waking up every 2 1/2 minutes on average. Almost 200 times over 8 hours. Now, that's not fully awake and aware of course. For anyone that's not familiar with apnea one of the major causes is when you stop breathing for just an instant and your body reacts by coming out of sleep to keep from suffocating. There can be various causes of the stopping of breathing, in my case it's the fact that my throat is tighter than it should be and closes off slightly. I'm supposed to wear a mask hooked to a machine that blows air into my nose and keeps the airway open, but it's not comfortable and keeps me awake itself. I've gotten used to the broken sleep and actually have more trouble with restlessness.

I know what are you talking about. I have a severe septal deviation.

Bella said:
I'm sure there are people here who have difficulty sleeping. It tends to come hand in hand with the various types of emotional hardships many people are afflicted with.
Or do you just want to talk about what you've tried or how inconvenient your insomnia is?

Discuss.

Just get into bed and close your eyes. Easy.

stella said:
Bella said:

Discuss.

Just get into bed and close your eyes. Easy.

LoL Yeah, I wish. ;)

That's what Aimee tells her girls when they say "I can't sleep". For her it is that easy most of the time. Looking back I know that even as a kid I must have suffered from my apnea as well as depression related insomnia/restlessness. I wonder if the girls may too. Especially the older one who takes after her father very much. He also suffers from apnea brought on in part by his weight. Considering she also has a weight issue and low self esteem it's very likely I suppose that she may share the same condition(s). She also rocks violently in her sleep. LoL

When I have trouble sleeping I do like I normally do and sit here on the internet until I get tired. It kinda sucks when you have to be somewhere the next day, but I've tried the other way with just getting into bed and it doesn't work for me.

Find things that work for you when it comes to sleep, and have some coffee ready. :)

Latest posts

Back