UM.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian

Reaction score
So a while back, I decided I really had nothing to lose by signing up on this free online dating site. I wrote some stuff, posted some pictures, etc. Blah. I felt kind of dumb, and still do, but whatever works right?

So I start messaging this gal who lives in the 'Big City' near here (Spokane). She seemed pretty cool. So I figured, eh, might as well ask if she'd be interested in lunch or coffee some time. Internet Anonymity and all that. So I did.

She didn't respond as fast as she responded to everything else over the past few days so I figured she probably got scared or something. Oh well, not the first time. I was sort of expecting that really. But then I checked just now and lo and behold:

Coffee or Lunch actually sounds amazing. Just let me know when you'd be available blahblah etc

WAITWHAT?

So has anyone else found themselves in this situation? I never actually expected to get a date from the Internet. And I know the answer to this question is pretty obvious, I guess, but for some reason I still feel the need to ask.

-Now- what? o_o Has any one had experience with online dating? We've already kinda talked a little, what do I ask her about?

Congrats on that dude. You're making strides and I'm stuck in quicksand cursing. I tried one of those once but all the self loathing sabotaged my efforts. Anyway, I would like, continue doing what you're doing, seems to be working. You know the sincerity and all that.

well honestly, you probably shouldn't have said that if you didn't intend on actually meeting her. now you're pretty much obligated to aren't you lol or you could just be honest with her and say you're not exactly comfortable yet and would like to keep talking online for a bit.

No, I intended to follow through from the get-go...I just wasn't -expecting- the chance to :p And so I was kinda boggled.

Actually, I think it's a bad idea to talk too much online. Usually (and from my own experience) you gain familiarity with facts about the person and such without actually getting 'closer' to them. So once you actually do meet it's more awkward than usual since a first date is usually the time for all those questions you already learned the answer to online.

God I hope this isn't gonna be weird. Assuming I don't get stood up last minute or something.

No, i never met anyone from online in person.

wtf ???....you signed up on a online dating service...you got a date, now you're complaining. :p
Why the heck did you signed up to begin with if your motive or intension wasn't to go on a date ?

Meet in a public place with lots of people around...during daylight hours...i don't know.

Keep it real...lol
The worst she can do is run for the hills...the best she can do is hop in the sake with you.
Oh...hell in the back seat of the car sounds good...makes you feel young again.lmao

Not complaining. More...well, surprised. Hopefully it turns out cool though. I mean, whatever works right?

And I've tried that backseat thing, once. I discovered that I am significantly taller than my Chevy Tracker is wide and that I need to clean my car out once in a while because I'm a bit of a packrat and it's not fun losing articles of clothing amidst piles of junk in the dead of winter when it's bloody cold.

Brian said:
Not complaining. More...well, surprised. Hopefully it turns out cool though. I mean, whatever works right?

And I've tried that backseat thing, once. I discovered that I am significantly taller than my Chevy Tracker is wide and that I need to clean my car out once in a while because I'm a bit of a packrat and it's not fun losing articles of clothing amidst piles of junk in the dead of winter when it's bloody cold.

I hope you have fun

Yes I was thinking the same thing as you Brian, what the hell do you say on a date. Well the one sentence I hate is "Tell me about yourself" and "What do you do in your spare time" because first I don't have a lot to say and to the second question the only thing I do is read books and stay on the internet all day, hardly something worth talking about.

You seem like a really good guy I hope everything goes well for you. Fingers crossed the day will go well.

I actually had a completely unexpected 'date' once. Well, I don't know if it can be really called a date but sort of. There was a guy from whose firm I usually bought computers and video games. So I wrote him an email requesting a game and I can't remember why exactly he said what he said, but anyway, he invited me to a dinner. Thinking that he only meant it as a joke, I agreed, also as a joke. Turns out that he really didn't mean it and was dumbfounded that I agreed :p So, hehe, we were both 'stuck' and we actually did go on that date. I was slightly nervous, having never been on a date, but it was really all right. It mostly wasn't awkward and it wasn't all that difficult to keep the conversation. Which was a great relief, seeing that I'm one of the lousiest conversationalists ever. But then, perhaps, it's different on a real date, I wouldn't know. You probably have already told each other all the basic things about yourselves online, but seriously Brian, you're a fireman, which is a rather eventful occupation. I think, if anyone, you would certainly have tons of interesting, funny things to tell. My martial arts instructor is a fireman and he has loads of such stories.

Latest posts

Back