Unemployment :/

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SullenGirl

Reaction score
Is anyone else here currently unemployed? I'm 20 and I live with my parents...my last job was seasonal, in other words not full time, so i get no unemployment benefits of course. So, I'm 100% broke and my mother is giving me money from time to time for doing things around the house and mowing the lawn...

I have been out of a job for about five or six months now and It's really getting me depressed. I can't stand it! I must have applied for at least 40 + jobs since my last job. I've been mostly applying to retail type jobs, which is what I have experience in, a well as waiting tables.

Anyway if you're going through the same thing, I'd be happy if someone responded; I feel so dejected/rejected and worthless right now. I have a 3.4 GPA in school which I think is pretty good, and that's the only thing I have to hold onto right now to feel good about myself and my existence. Having no money means no independence, and it makes me feel so small and worthless.

I'm 19 and I've never actually had a job. I'm absolutely 100% broke as well and my mother can't provide for me financially. The only reason I have any money is because I'm being supported by Student Finance for University.

If it weren't for my finance and Uni, I would definitely be looking for jobs. :] I know that I wouldn't get one right away because.. Well, quite frankly at my age I don't have much to offer! But there's always somewhere willing to hire you - don't give up looking. Just because you haven't got a job yet doesn't mean you won't - you just haven't found the right place! :]

Recently I was considering writing up my CV and going around handing it into restaurants, etc. And I asked my friends where I should go from there, as I've never done anything like this before. They just told me to go around, handing it in to everyone. As you said, you have a great GPA and if you've written a wonderful CV, then there's bound to be places who would love to hire you. Just go around handing it into all the restaurants, etc. and I'm sure you'll hear back from someone!

Please don't feel worthless - you certainly aren't. :] You're still young, and you have your whole life ahead of you. Sometimes we reach a point in our lives where we just think, 'Well what's the point?' but we soon overcome it, and you will too. Then you'll be able to look back at this point in your life in the future and ask yourself - was there really any point in worrying?

Good luck with everything. ^_^

Belleza thanks so much for your response! I guess everything you said is true...especially the part about looking back and realizing that you shouldn't have been as worried as you were. I've been through worse things in my life and I look back on them and realize that I'm still here! :D

I'll still get really depressed about it from time to time but it's encouraging words/attitudes like yours that makes me have some hope still. I will take your advice and write up a CV and try to find jobs.

It's good to know I'm not the only one out here struggling :p

Thanks again Belleza!

I'm currently unemployed and living with my parents. :p It's annoying, but no big deal. Because I know that eventually I will get a job. Right now I'm a student, and I have been teaching, but it's for my degree, so I don't get paid for it. I'm actually not allowed to work during this final phase of my degree. If I got a job, my university would kick me out of my degree program. It's bullshit, but that's how it works.

I agree with the feeling dependent and isolated part. It seems like everyone that I know that's around my age is already out on their own, somehow managing to survive...and I can't even do that.

So all I can do is look forward and do my best to get this degree before it kills me. :p

On a positive note, I have only 6 more months before I graduate.

And then I'll be outta here so fast that I'm sure my family will hear a sonic boom as I go. :p

I worked on a brush crew doing tree thinning for two years, and my first year when we were laid off for the winter I got REALLY depressed. I'd gotten so used to having a job and going to work each day I didn't know what else to do. I was a mess. The next year wasn't quite as bad. Lay offs and unemployment happen.

Last year I got hired on to a small fire department near here, my dream job landing in my lap. When they handed me my badge and helmet, and said "Here's your ambulance, here's your engine, here's your locker", it was my happiest, proudest moment. I loved every minute of every shift in spite of everything else. Every CCT transport we did, even the 170 mile run to Lewiston with a looney on the stretcher, was great. And even better, because it was a small department in a growing area, I was almost guaranteed to make Lieutenant or Captain someday when the tax base and call volume grew.

Exactly one year later, we lost our hospital contract for patient transports to another agency. And that meant we lost the medicare and insurance billing that paid our paychecks. Guess who gets laid off? Everybody but the Chief and his subordinate.

Talk about something to make a guy cry. And you can bet your bottom dollar, I did. It wasn't much, and it wasn't glamorous with lots of history and big engine companies like New York or Boston. But it was mine.

Life goes on though. The key is to make the best of the situation and keep trying every avenue. I've stepped up my college attendance toward my degree, and I have two part time jobs now to help financially with two more possibly coming to me...I'm almost for-sure going to work part time for the county ambulance (something I'm incredibly nervous about, but that's another thread), and a buddy of mine is proposing a new 8-hour-a-week analyst position to his company...and if he gets it approved, he wants me for the job.

Build connections and network whenever you can. Not 'Hi, I'm ____, I do ____ and need a position if you ever hear of one' networking, but genuine 'know somebody' networking. Even if it's with someone who works as a janitor, because you never know when you'll be down on your luck and need some part-time work.

And don't 'try' to impress. Professionals and supervisors see through that crap in a heartbeat to see you don't really care. Simply conduct yourself so that you will impress. Be early. Present a good image. Speak clearly and intelligently, and have a good handshake with good eye contact. Communication skills are so vitally important to everything we do. If you can genuinely connect with a person when you meet them, or at least come across as professional and clean cut, you can basically do anything.

While we're at it, I think attire bears mentioning. The older crowd (today's bosses) for the most part look at people like this:

kevin_federline_300x400.jpg

And instantly write them off as having no redeeming qualities.

It could be any number of things associable with that image. I think the hilight is that ******* ridiculous hat. If someone came in wearing that ****** and handed me an application, I'd throw it in the waste basket and have security remove them. Everyone I talk to in the professional community pretty much agrees. Because that hat screams 'hip hop', and hip hop screams 'I party all the time and will show up late and embarrass you on a global scale'.

Please dress well and sensibly when you go -anywhere- with any hopes of employment. Do it from step one. I see way too many people fresia this up for it to be funny.

Unless you're applying at Gap or Abercrombie, take off the Hollister shirt, put away the 'skater shoes', and ditch the jewelry. You'll get a lot more respect with cleaner attire. You will stand out against the crowd and they'll think you're different. And above all else, don't act entitled to anything. People hate that.

This isn't really advice aimed at you or anybody else, these last few paragraphs. I have no clue what you wear or about your habits. It's just advice in general for anyone who might be reading it and saying, "Hey, wait, he's talking about me" :p

...And if you're reading it and saying, "But I already fit all those criteria, Brian you dummy", well...goodluck and keep looking, and don't let unemployment getcha down :D

I've been in a similar spot before. Took me quite a while to get a job, and even now I'm still dependent at home at the age of 20. Even with a job, it's not like I have much of an option there.

I'd say a 3.4 GPA is something to be proud of. At least I hope so, since mine is about the same. :p

I know it can be easy to feel worthless and depressed, but there's no need to. So many times I have felt the same way, only to later think "I was worried about that?" I'm sure you have been there before and will be there again.

As far as looking for a job, all I can say is to keep trying and don't let it get you down if it doesn't work out. Sooner or later your efforts are likely to pay off.

And keep your head up. You most definitely aren't worthless. Maybe that's not always easy to believe, but in time you most definitely will. :)

Brian said:
Because that hat screams 'hip hop', and hip hop screams 'I party all the time and will show up late and embarrass you on a global scale'.

It also screams retard!

I know its very non-conformist to go into a job interview wearing something you slept in or partied in (with that little smear of puke on the front as a badge of honor) but that doesn't work unless you're rich and therefore considered eccentric.

Badjedidude said:
I'm currently unemployed and living with my parents. :p It's annoying, but no big deal. Because I know that eventually I will get a job. Right now I'm a student, and I have been teaching, but it's for my degree, so I don't get paid for it. I'm actually not allowed to work during this final phase of my degree. If I got a job, my university would kick me out of my degree program. It's bullshit, but that's how it works.

I agree with the feeling dependent and isolated part. It seems like everyone that I know that's around my age is already out on their own, somehow managing to survive...and I can't even do that.

So all I can do is look forward and do my best to get this degree before it kills me. :p

On a positive note, I have only 6 more months before I graduate.

And then I'll be outta here so fast that I'm sure my family will hear a sonic boom as I go. :p

What?! (@ bolded). That's crazy. Congratulations on graduating soon! That must be awesome. I have about two more years of this to go lol. Thanks for your contribution to this thread, it's really appreciated. :D

Brian said:
I worked on a brush crew doing tree thinning for two years, and my first year when we were laid off for the winter I got REALLY depressed. I'd gotten so used to having a job and going to work each day I didn't know what else to do. I was a mess. The next year wasn't quite as bad. Lay offs and unemployment happen.

Last year I got hired on to a small fire department near here, my dream job landing in my lap. When they handed me my badge and helmet, and said "Here's your ambulance, here's your engine, here's your locker", it was my happiest, proudest moment. I loved every minute of every shift in spite of everything else. Every CCT transport we did, even the 170 mile run to Lewiston with a looney on the stretcher, was great. And even better, because it was a small department in a growing area, I was almost guaranteed to make Lieutenant or Captain someday when the tax base and call volume grew.

Exactly one year later, we lost our hospital contract for patient transports to another agency. And that meant we lost the medicare and insurance billing that paid our paychecks. Guess who gets laid off? Everybody but the Chief and his subordinate.

Talk about something to make a guy cry. And you can bet your bottom dollar, I did. It wasn't much, and it wasn't glamorous with lots of history and big engine companies like New York or Boston. But it was mine.

Life goes on though. The key is to make the best of the situation and keep trying every avenue. I've stepped up my college attendance toward my degree, and I have two part time jobs now to help financially with two more possibly coming to me...I'm almost for-sure going to work part time for the county ambulance (something I'm incredibly nervous about, but that's another thread), and a buddy of mine is proposing a new 8-hour-a-week analyst position to his company...and if he gets it approved, he wants me for the job.

Build connections and network whenever you can. Not 'Hi, I'm ____, I do ____ and need a position if you ever hear of one' networking, but genuine 'know somebody' networking. Even if it's with someone who works as a janitor, because you never know when you'll be down on your luck and need some part-time work.

And don't 'try' to impress. Professionals and supervisors see through that crap in a heartbeat to see you don't really care. Simply conduct yourself so that you will impress. Be early. Present a good image. Speak clearly and intelligently, and have a good handshake with good eye contact. Communication skills are so vitally important to everything we do. If you can genuinely connect with a person when you meet them, or at least come across as professional and clean cut, you can basically do anything.

While we're at it, I think attire bears mentioning. The older crowd (today's bosses) for the most part look at people like this:

It could be any number of things associable with that image. I think the hilight is that ******* ridiculous hat. If someone came in wearing that ****** and handed me an application, I'd throw it in the waste basket and have security remove them. Everyone I talk to in the professional community pretty much agrees. Because that hat screams 'hip hop', and hip hop screams 'I party all the time and will show up late and embarrass you on a global scale'.

Please dress well and sensibly when you go -anywhere- with any hopes of employment. Do it from step one. I see way too many people fresia this up for it to be funny.

Unless you're applying at Gap or Abercrombie, take off the Hollister shirt, put away the 'skater shoes', and ditch the jewelry. You'll get a lot more respect with cleaner attire. You will stand out against the crowd and they'll think you're different. And above all else, don't act entitled to anything. People hate that.

This isn't really advice aimed at you or anybody else, these last few paragraphs. I have no clue what you wear or about your habits. It's just advice in general for anyone who might be reading it and saying, "Hey, wait, he's talking about me" :p

...And if you're reading it and saying, "But I already fit all those criteria, Brian you dummy", well...goodluck and keep looking, and don't let unemployment getcha down :D

Wow, I love your post lol. Sorry about you getting laid off though. :/ I think that's so awesome that you worked for the fire department. The advice that you gave at the end was also great. I am definitely a professional person. I usually arrive at an interview a while before the interviewer even comes, and sometimes THEY are two or three minutes late, which REALLY irks me lol. And of course I dress accodingly : Thanks for your reply Brian and lol the Kevin Federline pic! :p

st642 said:
I've been in a similar spot before. Took me quite a while to get a job, and even now I'm still dependent at home at the age of 20. Even with a job, it's not like I have much of an option there.

I'd say a 3.4 GPA is something to be proud of. At least I hope so, since mine is about the same. :p

I know it can be easy to feel worthless and depressed, but there's no need to. So many times I have felt the same way, only to later think "I was worried about that?" I'm sure you have been there before and will be there again.

As far as looking for a job, all I can say is to keep trying and don't let it get you down if it doesn't work out. Sooner or later your efforts are likely to pay off.

And keep your head up. You most definitely aren't worthless. Maybe that's not always easy to believe, but in time you most definitely will. :)

Thanks so much for the encouraging words. I will keep trying, but sometimes I just feel like saying F**K IT!! But I know I can't...I really do need the money. :(

oarivan said:
Brian said:
Because that hat screams 'hip hop', and hip hop screams 'I party all the time and will show up late and embarrass you on a global scale'.

It also screams retard!

I know its very non-conformist to go into a job interview wearing something you slept in or partied in (with that little smear of puke on the front as a badge of honor) but that doesn't work unless you're rich and therefore considered eccentric.

lol

SullenGirl said:
What?! (@ bolded). That's crazy. Congratulations on graduating soon! That must be awesome. I have about two more years of this to go lol. Thanks for your contribution to this thread, it's really appreciated.

Yeah. It's because I'm already pretty much working full time as a teacher to fulfill degree requirements, so any job would be putting even more hours on top of that. It'd be nice to get some money for my trouble...but I'm paying for it. lol

And thanks for thanking me. :p

And good luck on your 2 more years! :D

ohh unemployment sucks

*hugs* I've spent a lot of time being unemployed can you sell your plasma? that's a good way to make money or do some medical experiments

it's not great but i finally did get a job at kfc at http://www.snagajob.com/

just type in your area code and it will tell you what jobs are open in your area, and you can fill out a lot of applications online so you never have to leave the computer

if you haven't already just google jobs in wherever you live or google tips on getting a job or good interviews there's a lot of sites with good advice

they say sometimes you have to fill out like ten resumes I filled out like seven before I got called back for interview,

also you should call back just follow up on your application, ask if they need anymore information and let them know you'd be interested in a job

do you have any references? like teachers from high school or college?

are there anymore temporary jobs anywhere? In the midwest there are like corn picking temp jobs in the summer that i did one year.

I hope you get hired soon *hugs*

Badjedidude said:
SullenGirl said:
What?! (@ bolded). That's crazy. Congratulations on graduating soon! That must be awesome. I have about two more years of this to go lol. Thanks for your contribution to this thread, it's really appreciated.

Yeah. It's because I'm already pretty much working full time as a teacher to fulfill degree requirements, so any job would be putting even more hours on top of that. It'd be nice to get some money for my trouble...but I'm paying for it. lol

Oooooh, I see. Thanks so much! :D

evanescencefan91 said:
ohh unemployment sucks

*hugs* I've spent a lot of time being unemployed can you sell your plasma? that's a good way to make money or do some medical experiments

just type in your area code and it will tell you what jobs are open in your area, and you can fill out a lot of applications online so you never have to leave the computer

if you haven't already just google jobs in wherever you live or google tips on getting a job or good interviews there's a lot of sites with good advice

they say sometimes you have to fill out like ten resumes I filled out like seven before I got called back for interview,

also you should call back just follow up on your application, ask if they need anymore information and let them know you'd be interested in a job

are there anymore temporary jobs anywhere? In the midwest there are like corn picking temp jobs in the summer that i did one year.

Thanks so much for your understanding and advice...I thought about selling blood...I researched it and found out I don't meet the requirements. I don't even weigh the 110 pounds required! LOL, I'm 5'4 102 pounds, I'm a small person. Ahhh, well. Maybe I should try looking in the back of newspapers in the classified section to be a lab rat for medical labs? lol. That was a good suggestion. :p

Anyway, I do use a reference from when I had my work study job on campus, and that seems to have gotten me nowhere. I've called back a few places and have been told that someone will contact me if interested, so yeahhh....

But anyway, I will keep trying and thanks everyone for your encouragement, you're all great. :D

Brian said:

kevin_federline_300x400.jpg

You want to know something funny? Employers in my town hire idiots like this all the time lol! I see people with tattoos everywhere or piercings all over their face working all the time. Another popular group of people with employers in my town are girls ranging from 16-20 because a lot of people who do the hiring are dirty middle aged men. It is so frustrating and annoying. One of the local restaurants in my town. I filled out their application online and they asked questions about drugs in about 30 different ways and I am not jking around at all. It felt like they asked a question about drugs about that many times.

I walked into this restaurant about 2-3 times for about 2 months with a formal dress shirt, black shoes, and black plants everytime i went in. I came in clean and presentable everytime. They started interviewing but never called me. I found out when I came in to check up and she said " we already interviewed and filled the spots". I felt like saying "why the hell wasnt I called?" but I didn't. It is probably my own fault due to the fact I don't have my GED but hell I'm a much better worker then any druiggie tweaker in my town. I can relate to the frustration.

Im 30 y.o jobless woman, i get a little money by renting out my house to pay my monthly bills. Good thing my parents have money (so they help me a bit) and my grandfather's millionaire (he's my last resort if i desperately need money but all this time i never asked him for money unless to pay for my study). This semester ill graduate, and im gonna start finding a job. Btw, selling plasma's a very cool way to make extra income, i wish we could do that in here.

I am currently unemployed i graduate college back in may and have yet to find any type of job and i still live at home and i have been looking for retail, food, and of course a job for my major which is computer science....i know the economy is honeysuckle and it does get really depressing but what i have tried doing things like going to the lake and doing things with friends to keep my mind off of it...of course it does come back but you just have to hang in there and keep working at it...i have been unemployed for about 5 months now and im only 22 but as i see it, the right job will come for me and it will happen for everyone else as well sometimes you just have to give it time

yeah, i've been looking around for summer work, but not strenuously so. should have thrown resumes out at the begining of the summer instead of halfway through. come september, more government cash will hopefully sustain my economic needs! 3 cheers for partly socialized education lol.

I've been out of a job for 5 months now. I was actually perfectly fine, enjoying my new free time, etc., until it sort of hit me at once about a month ago. Now I'm feeling useless and hopeless.

I think you're still okay if you're still in school...you've got your studies and any extracurricular activities to focus on, and you're young enough and have a good enough excuse to mooch off your parents for a bit.

Me, I got my degree 5 years ago with honors from a competitive university (not Ivy League or anything, but top-tier), have work experience, some good references, and I'm still having trouble. I even have a good interview now and again that makes me feel I have it in the bag, and I still don't get the job. I'm basically living off my savings and I'm worried I'll run out of money.

It's also reducing my confidence meeting people, because people always ask "What do you do?" or (because I look young) "So do you go to school here?" as an introductory way to get to know you. Obviously, that's a really uncomfortable question that makes me start on the wrong foot with people.

Best of luck to all the other unemployed's...I hope we all find good jobs soon!

Don't give up on yourself...it's really, really retarted looking for work at the moment.
10% average is double what it usually should be. it's pretty **** depressing.hahaha
The USA is basically in a recession. Some say even a double dip recession.

I was unemployed for almost 2 years after working at the same place for over 16 years.
I was a manager of a procuring department in the electronics industry.
I had my own home, 2 cars, and all the material stuff the gose bling bling too...
I was making the bucks and was the first of many people to get laid off at the front end of all this econamic down fall....
WHERE'S MY BAIL OUT BICHTES??????.hahahahaaaa
People were judging me and all kinds of stupid honeysuckle...Now it's hitting them too. lol
Bascailly my ex-gf left me for dead right after I got laid off...so much for fucken love and all the BS about money can't buy happiness. Love is not about money BS,
she was blurrring out of her mouth.

It messed with people straight across the board. It messed with me a lot of bit.

I'm currently employed but it's hard work and less pay.
I'm not getting any younger.
Never the less, I'm greatful I'm employ at the moment.
I'm hoping it will get better.
Having no money sucks. However I learned how to live without money.

I still have to work on my self-esteem or rather don't let current outside circumstance fresia with me.
Happiness is an inside job and all that good stuff. I want to or need to return back to school.
I'm fucken out dated hahahaaaaa. But it hasn't been easy. It looks like I'm still going to have to
wait for another semister :(

I still educate myself though. I still read and study even though I'm not attending school.

I'm well enough now to be able to focus and study.
I have Money too...so keep your hands off of my stash. hahahahahaa

SullenGirl said:
Badjedidude said:
SullenGirl said:

Oooooh, I see. Thanks so much! :D

evanescencefan91 said:
ohh unemployment sucks

Thanks so much for your understanding and advice...I thought about selling blood...I researched it and found out I don't meet the requirements. I don't even weigh the 110 pounds required! LOL, I'm 5'4 102 pounds, I'm a small person. Ahhh, well. Maybe I should try looking in the back of newspapers in the classified section to be a lab rat for medical labs? lol. That was a good suggestion. :p

Anyway, I do use a reference from when I had my work study job on campus, and that seems to have gotten me nowhere. I've called back a few places and have been told that someone will contact me if interested, so yeahhh....

But anyway, I will keep trying and thanks everyone for your encouragement, you're all great. :D

You can sell blood ? @#$% thats a tough way to earn a living

I'm jobless since September 2009. My boss never gave a raise, and always late to pay me. After 3,5 years I finally realize that's just not worth it anymore :)

Latest posts

Back