Uni open days

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soup

Reaction score
For English people only, really.

Which university open days are you attending? It is Oxford on Wednesday for me. Is anyone else going along there? Or to any university open days in the near future for that matter?

You're talking to quite a niche market, I think, there, my lovely.

I went to Cambridge, Warwick, Kings College London, Cardiff and Leicester, so if you'd like any info on that, I can help.

If not, best of luck on Weds, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

People keep bugging me to go have a look at Cambridge, I have never fancied Cambridge if I'm being honest. I've always preferred the idea of Oxford. Even before I knew anything about the two universities.

Indeed, I am excited for Wednesday. University open days are not only a way to view universities, but they're an excellent way to meet new people with the same academic interests as you!

A friend of mine went to Cambridge. The interview process asked him of the importance of Parisan shoe fashions in the Czarist Russian court; he knew nothing about it, but he bluffed so brilliantly that his interviewers actually thought he had studied it in detail.

Cow manure works everywhere.

Soup said:
What was he wanting to study?

Pretty sure he got in as an English Lit student, though its been awhile since I've spoken with him. I can poke him for you if you wish for more information?

No thanks. My experience with people who study English hasn't been the greatest, thank you anyway.

Soup said:
For English people only, really.

Which university open days are you attending? It is Oxford on Wednesday for me. Is anyone else going along there? Or to any university open days in the near future for that matter?

Isn’t it oxford that churns out the self important idiots who pretend to run our country? This would explain some things…

cumulus.james said:
Isn’t it oxford that churns out the self important idiots who pretend to run our country? This would explain some things…

I'm pretty sure Cambridge contributes a few to that score too!

IgnoredOne said:
cumulus.james said:

I'm pretty sure Cambridge contributes a few to that score too!

They both full of snobs. There was an article about one of them in the paper a few months back about their one token black guy out of thousands of applicants. They may have a prestige about them but with all the candidates being rich white people it cant do much for you life skills.

Perversely, my local uni seems to be mostly guys of ethic origin. Bit like segregation isn’t it?

cumulus.james said:
They both full of snobs. There was an article about one of them in the paper a few months back about their one token black guy out of thousands of applicants. They may have a prestige about them but with all the candidates being rich white people it cant do much for you life skills.

Perversely, my local uni seems to be mostly guys of ethic origin. Bit like segregation isn’t it?

Segregation happens a lot, inevitable. I can't speak much of the British university system, but I do believe that like in the US, the top-class universities does offer great education and really, networking opportunities but it depends on the student.

I wouldn't be too keen on focusing on ethnic contribution to an university - MIT and CalTech, both excellent universities that specialize in scientific fields, are primarily white and Asian. Does that mean they are racist? No - it just so happens that Caucasians and Asians happen to have the standard of academic excellence needed to be selected.

Latest posts

Back