UNLOVED

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its fun to just sit have some booze or coffee and just have a laugh. the genuine laughter.. the its-so-funny-i-could-just-fart laughter.

we dont get that nowadays... i mean we could.. but its hard to meet/find people who are just that. :(

Yeah, I would love to hang out in a smoke-free pub, maybe a coffehouse (I don't drink) and just have a real laugh. Sometimes hearing other people laugh really sets you off and you can't stop.

I guess comedy movies and looking up dirty jokes on the internet will have to do for now!

I just wish that society wasn't like this. In America, where I live, the people are VERY aggressive. Very competitive. All that matters is money, looks, and power. You are supposed to be young, thin, attractive, intelligent, from a rich and powerful and successful family, have attended a prestigious university, have had many good jobs, traveled the world, and be generally an A plus number one success.

Around here we have mums who spend $700 and more on strollers for their babies! When we see someone 'driving' a fancy stroller, it shows that person is rich enough to (In my opinion,) WASTE that kind of money on a freaking stroller (pram for the people in the UK)

Everyone where I live drives a BMW or Mercedes Benz. Even the freaking cleaning people! (Okay, slight exagerration. However, there are MANY luxury cars everywhere on the road and highway. It's almost as if you don't drive a luxury car, then you are low-class.)

I guess for me part of getting away from the mentality that I dislike is to move to another country. I would like to live in New Zealand or Australia. I want to live in a place where family, community, nature and the environment etc are more important that God Money.

lonelygirl said:
I guess for me part of getting away from the mentality that I dislike is to move to another country. I would like to live in New Zealand or Australia. I want to live in a place where family, community, nature and the environment etc are more important that God Money.

You make some good points that I mostly agree with in the above post, but I disagree with you on moving to another place where you assume family and "community spirit" are regarded in higher priority over fashion and money. I don't know about New Zealand, but sadly, I can tell you from living in Australia [all my life] that we have a very Americanized society, bringing that superficial mentality along with it. Infomercials. Technology. Fashion. Celebrities. Fame. Wealth. Power. It's all here and all the same sort of crap you'd expect to hear from that crabby woman down the street, except we speak with a different accent. Most people are just as shallow here as they are anywhere else on earth where fashion outshines morality. Those of us who get caught up in unfortunate life circumstances and struggle to keep up with the rest of the world get left behind.

As much as it sucks to be alone and struggling in a capitalist country with nobody around that really gives a **** (as well as lacking a goal or social life to boot), I'm still greatful that I live here and have a roof over my head as well as a luxury such as internet access.
Beats being trampled to death on an empty stomach by thousands of other starving people around you all racing to an aid truck, or being tortured by police for speaking out against your government's leader, thats for sure.

There's always something to be greatful for is my point, I guess. :)
If you are seriously considering moving to a 'friendlier' place, I have to ask - Have you considered Canada? I've never been there myself, but my grandmother has and said the people there seem to be exceptionally nice compared to all the other countries she's visited, including Australia. Although, I highly doubt Canada is free from ridiculous mainstream superficiality, either.

Bah, I've rambled on for long enough. In a nutshell, I don't think we can escape the modern-day mentality since it's so deeply ingrained worldwide. However, it's still nice for us who stray from the flock to find others who've strayed, as they can relate to where we're coming from & vice versa. This site (to me) seems like a den for said sheep, and I'm happy it's here.

On a leaving note, here's a quote from a psychologist, Denise Golden, who understands where people such as you and I are coming from, lonelygirl:
"We are a very narcissistic society. It's all about 'I need to have this,' the car, the career, whatever, at the expense of the most vulnerable."

Styx, well put. I agree with what you wrote. We are surrouned by superficiality in a capitalistic society. The general mentaility of people in society today seems to be a "what's in it for me?" Money is the number one priroity with just about every living soul on the planet. Money has become more important then people's lives.

The flagrant flaunting of wealth is what I don't get. How can the outrageously wealthy spend money the way they do. For instance how can anyone spend $50,000 on a wristwatch when they're are people barely able to put food on the table for their children. There's something seriously wrong with that scenario. Sure, it's their money to spend as they please, but I have a real problem with sanctimonious hypocrites that talk a big deal and never do anything to really help anyone.

Here in America we have a shameful problem with homeless people. Where I live in particular, there are many homeless people. They're seen begging on street corners, sleeping under trees, living in carboard boxes. In America, one of the wealthiest nations in the world, and we have people literally dying in the streets.

I also agree with you about having a roof over my head, and the little niceities, like the internet. There are far worse places in the world to live then where we mutually do.

On an end note, Canada. Been there, I have family there. Sadly, they have succumbed to the influences of corporate America and have just as many problems, if not more, then America does. Depending on what province, they generally don't seem too keen on us American's these days.. Gee, I wonder why.

Well, for what this is worth, there it is...

LG,

Society shouldn't be like it is these days, there is something seriously wrong with the mentaility of a whole lot of people these days. I believe we've lost some core values that we may never retrieve. The values of helping others, common sense and general courtesy, to name a few, have all but vanished.

From school onward we are taught to be good consumers, think like the masses, spend, buy and spend some more. And for what? It's just stuff, it won't make us happy if we're not happy to being with..

We have become our own worst enemies in many ways. If people would just stop and think, they'd see that we're being enslaved. Enslaved to our jobs, our car payments, our credit cards, it goes on.. I don't know where I'm going with this, just some random thoughts. But the line between the poor and the wealthy is getting wider all the time.. Maybe if we just stop buying stuff because it's new or cool, we might just be a lot happier and healthier for it.

As far as other countries being less money-orientated and more into community and family, I feel coroporate America has ruined many countries, Canada for certain, even Great Britain.

I'm a little depressed now.. :eek:(

What you need to know is that many people may feel bad for you, only you can change yourself and the way you think. If you go around thinking everybody and everything is corrupt, it is going to rub of on others. You are probably carrying negative energy around with you. Stop caring what others think or say to you. The problem most people have is that they care what others think. Who in the hell cares! Just stop fearing rejection from others. And stop believing the bull that everybody stabs in the back. Its not true.

To be or not to be, that is the question.

Styx said:
I have to ask - Have you considered Canada? I've never been there myself, but my grandmother has and said the people there seem to be exceptionally nice compared to all the other countries she's visited, including Australia. Although, I highly doubt Canada is free from ridiculous mainstream superficiality, either.

Hey I can speak for Canada cause I've been all around it, and well, I am Canadian.

If you go to Ontario or Alberta, and some parts of British Columbia you are likely to encounter much the same attitude as you would in the US. Maybe a lot more polite and courteous in some many areas, but the aggression, the drive for wealth, power and prestige are still there. We are pretty much American in ideals as far as the wealthier provinces go.

The Maritimes... New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland, you must make a trade of low income for nicer people that focus more on friends, family, and community than wealth and power... in fact those that actively drive to distinguish themselves in wealth and power beyond their peers usually have to step on many toes getting to the top, and they are not looked kindly upon by the rest of the community for their greed and ambitions... maybe because we're poorer in those places, that we accept never being able to fully find the "American Dream", and so instead we just enjoy life as it is and keep community and family values in higher regard because you have less money to get buy, and when your hurting financially family helps you out, and in return you do the same.

Plus there are problems there too... theft, murder, etc are not nearly as high as in other places, but poverty, alcoholism and early teen pregnancy is a serious problem... what do you do when much of the population works seasonal jobs and spends much of the rest of the year on unemployment? You drink, do drugs, and have sex.

Plus much of the labor force is monopolized... it's not what you know, it's who you know... people that get into a business will look after their own friends and family before they will consider giving you a raise or promotion. And since it is usually smaller, close-knit communities, the jobs go first to the bosses friends and family, then the scraps go to whoever can do the job best. Also minimum wage isn't just a standard, it's the average wage for people starting out in a company. Starting out in a trade isn't much better, I was an Apprentice Electrician for a year, and got only $8.25 an hour... out in Calgary Apprentices get at least $16 dollars per hour starting out, and honestly the cost of living isn't really that much higher than back East. Another part of the monopoly is that the business owners usually come to a mutual decision, rather than using competitive wages, to agree on a set wage and keep their employees from asking for more... why, because there's plenty of other young pups just out of trade school that could take the job for less pay just for the chance to be home near their family and friends rather than forced to leave your loved ones and go across the country for a fair wage. It's a cruel system in that way.

Another trade off is that you go from having an area where nobody cares about you, to a place where everyone knows your business and talks about it behind your back... I hate gossips with a passion. Not all are like that though, but every smaller community has it's share, and there are a few people that make a hobby out of drama... gives them something to do all Winter I suppose.

Truth is that I love where I grew up... it's a quaint little place where I can go just about anywhere and know people by name and probably know most of their relatives too, and they know me and my family history as well... I'll retire there one day, but right now when I want to make a living and have something to retire on, that is the last place I can be. When I go to church there when I visit, it's like going to a big family reunion where I get to see many of the members of the community and ask them about their kids that I grew up with and where they are in life now. I love it so much, but to stay there is to be content with working hard physically till the day you die... retirement is a difficult thing to achieve, and people can get pretty cut-throat and underhanded about jobs that can offer that dream. Even people you thought you could trust may be tempted into trying to work their way into your secure job... it's a sad reality that I have witnessed happen to my own family before. Also the most coveted job would likely be Fisherman... the pay can be from $30,000 (plus 10 months of unemployment- so about another 30-35k from the government or, with a good year and fishing different types of fish over a 6 month period you can haul in upwards of $200k (plus 6 months unemployment so about another 20k approximately from the government during winter). Not bad cash at all if you work at it, but again there are many cut-throats... it used to be that there was a Gentleman's Agreement... meaning basically that you stay to your fishing spot and we stay to ours... but in more recent years with younger guys buying fleets that don't respect that unspoken agreement, people are starting to cut each others gear (cut the ropes from the buoys leading to the traps) or running their gear over top of someone else's gear cause they are too lazy and inconsiderate to take the time to lay their traps a safe distance from someone else's gear. Anyway that's an issue that gets me really worked up... my uncle and father have fished those waters for almost fifty years and they have never cut anyone else's gear... in fact they have gone through a lot of trouble to reset their gear if it was too close to someone else, or if the gear got tangled together, they would cut their own traps before they'd touch the other persons... even though the other person was often the one that ran over top of them... frustrating!

So the attitude you guys worry about is seeping into all of the world. I've lived long enough now though to see the effects of "karma", or whatever you want to call it, in action. I have seen these guys lose their wifes, have their children hate them, become losers (although to break the Agreement they already were losers), alcoholics, lose their friends and support of family members, go bankrupt, get beat up by a teenager cause he thought he was all that and the kid was full of spit and vinegar, had something to prove, and put him in his place, I've seen it all happen to the many different people that had it coming... what goes around comes around.

I guess that's the good thing with a smaller community over a huge city... you actually get to see the end result of what seeds bad people have sown. In a big city when they get the reward of their evils they just fade from view and you don't see the result, because the city swallows them whole.

So be true to yourself and true to others above all else, and the rewards of your labors and toils will be riches untold. Otherwise, prepare yourself for the day your sins come back to haunt you... it may be a day, it may be twenty years, or it may be the final days of your life when you die alone and remembered only for the hurt you caused others.

Anyway, don't like to be all doom and gloom but it's just the truth... don't dwell on the evils because it will taint you and pull you down... I have been there and it was a difficult struggle to get back on the right track... enjoy your life cause you only get one, and try to do good by others, cause it'll come back just like the bad does, except you'll be able to enjoy the fruit of your labors.

Me neither..I don't even know where to start. This is tooo complicated especially if you don't already have friends. And once you make friends and they realize you don't have any other friends they'll likely reject you..Gosh people are so cruel!! It just makes me sick.

Latest posts

Back