Unsure

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unknown

I'm not too sure what brought me to post this here, but I figure it'll be good for me.

Through most of my life, I haven't had too many friends. Sure, there were people here and there that I hung around, but I never felt like a part of a group. I was always just so socially inept. I had no real idea of how to really act around people. It wasn't untill the 7th or 8th grade that I finally started to find where I was most comfortable. With a small group of friends, I started to realize that I was with the group unaccepted by the whole, the outcasted types. But I was fine with it.

In high school, I thought that I would be able to start fresh and new. With only one person from grade school that I knew going into the same high school as myself, I wanted to become a different person. For the first year or two, I was working to accomplish that, but it just never felt right. It may have seemed that everything was going fine, but something inside of me was telling me that something was missing. By the time I was going into the final couple of years in high school, I fell back into being in the small group unaccepted by the main. It wasn't bad, I was kind of happy in that setting, but there was still something missing. What was creating an emptiness in me was the longing for love. I may have had friends, but I just needed someone to share everything with. Someone who I could be there for. When my closest friends, who were somewhat like me, started to get companions, I was happy for them. But deep inside, something ugly inside me reared its head and tried to fill me with jealousy. I kind of started to fall away from some of the people I considered my best friends. Eventually, I was able to overcome the jealousy trying to eat its way through me, and I was able to keep my composure and my friends. I was still lonely, though.

As high school came to a close, I was getting ready for college. With that came a lot of graduation parties. With who I considered my best friend, I made rounds to nearly everyone's graduation party. Most of the people were as suprised as I was when I showed up. It was my last time seeing a lot of people who I just spent four years of my life with, and I didn't feel like seeing them. I didn't really miss most of them. After the parties were done, I repressed the past and got ready for the future.

Starting college, I again tried to become someone that I wasn't. This kept up for the first semester, but I was able to realize that I was being stupid. I realized that I should just be myself, and if people don't like who I really am, then I probably wouldn't want anything to do with them. I was lucky to be on a floor with a bunch of great guys who became some great friends. But I was still feeling alone.

Recently, a girl initiated a conversation with me. Or rather, tried. What that happened, I don't know what I did. I guess I paniced on the inside. I said something and just walked away. It was the first time that something like that had happened in my life, and I completely messed it up. Ever since 8th grade, when I tried to tell a girl how I felt, I was rejected. Not being able to tell her in person, I wrote a heartfelt letter expressing my feelings. What I got in reply was a couple of sentences saying that we should just be friends. Since that time, my self esteem has been in the toilet. I haven't been able to talk to girls since, but I long for a relationship so badly.

Thanks for anyone who reads this. I just wanted to tell this to someone. I haven't been able to tell this to even my closest of friends. I guess I have always been afraid of scaring them away. But again, thanks to anyone who reads this.

Guess I should have expected this. Just as what has happened in the past, no one pays attention. The only thing I ask for it some words of comfort. Just to know that someone cares, even if it's only a little bit. Oh well...

Hi Unknown,

Please register and choose a name so we can recognize you.

Coming from a female, I can say that perhaps the chick was just overwhelmed. Women, like men, tend to like people who play hard to get--we all enjoy a slight romantic chase. The girl may have just been shaken up by the letter.

Take your time and get to know a girl slowly. You start by expressing just a little interest. Then give her a chance to respond. It's a back and forth thing. If you just quickly cut to the chase, chicks can freak out and become uncomfortable.

Good luck!

wow, to say you the truth i don't know what kind of advice i could give...i just wanted to tell you that i read your story, and believe me you are not the only one in this situation...i think i may become just like you in a few years, because right now my life is going to that direction...i think you don't need advices, because we still don't know your situation compleatlly, you just need to let it go, this is what i do in this forum...i hope everything gets better to you....

*hugs*

I am not the most knowledgeable person about this, but if you want my advice... you can't "convince" someone to love you... love either is or isn't.

So you should talk to various girls, but don't "expect" anything to happen. If they don't like you in a romantic way, then it doesn't matter, then this girl isn't for you. Don't chase after people. Let it happen on its own. When it happens, it happens. :)

Also, it's good to be "just friends", because through her you can meet her other female friends, and through them even more... and so on. To find the one for you, you need to talk to many, so the more f. friends, the better is your chance to find love. :)

Good luck.

I just joined this place and I didn't even see your thread while I was busy with my own intro, so sorry for the lateness. Maybe your post was too long for someone to respond earlier (^_^; )

But anyway, I can sympathize with not having a relationship, totally. I haven't ever had one, either.

Through most of my life, I haven't had too many friends. Sure, there were people here and there that I hung around, but I never felt like a part of a group. I was always just so socially inept. I had no real idea of how to really act around people. It wasn't untill the 7th or 8th grade that I finally started to find where I was most comfortable. With a small group of friends, I started to realize that I was with the group unaccepted by the whole, the outcasted types. But I was fine with it.
That's exactly how my life has been but you wrote it better than I could. My first friend was in 1st grade but then I moved and didn't get another until late second grade. Then she was my only friend until 4th, but all of the acquaintances I knew all through the rest of elementary and middle school weren't actual friends. And I have a very small group of friends now but I still feel very detached from them. I'm still pretty socially inept (^_^; )

I guess I have always been afraid of scaring them away.
Me too. That's why I joined here.

Unfortunately I'm just as lonely as you are and have no advice on starting a relationship. I wish I could help you :(

Maybe we could PM or something back and forth to console each other. I talked to someone else from here on AIM yesterday and that really helped me, so maybe that's what you need too?

If anybody is socially inept tis me! I cant look a girl in the eye without crumbling into a million pieces. lol. Its pathetic.

If socially inept means almost stuttering and getting red in the face when talking to someone who I don't know, than that's me. If it's someone of the opposite sex I like or am interested in it's ten times worse.

Unknown said:
I'm not too sure what brought me to post this here, but I figure it'll be good for me.

Through most of my life, I haven't had too many friends.  Sure, there were people here and there that I hung around, but I never felt like a part of a group.  I was always just so socially inept.  I had no real idea of how to really act around people.  It wasn't untill the 7th or 8th grade that I finally started to find where I was most comfortable.  With a small group of friends, I started to realize that I was with the group unaccepted by the whole, the outcasted types.  But I was fine with it.

In high school, I thought that I would be able to start fresh and new.  With only one person from grade school that I knew going into the same high school as myself, I wanted to become a different person.  For the first year or two, I was working to accomplish that, but it just never felt right.  It may have seemed that everything was going fine, but something inside of me was telling me that something was missing.  By the time I was going into the final couple of years in high school, I fell back into being in the small group unaccepted by the main.  It wasn't bad, I was kind of happy in that setting, but there was still something missing.  What was creating an emptiness in me was the longing for love.  I may have had friends, but I just needed someone to share everything with.  Someone who I could be there for.  When my closest friends, who were somewhat like me, started to get companions, I was happy for them.  But deep inside, something ugly inside me reared its head and tried to fill me with jealousy.  I kind of started to fall away from some of the people I considered my best friends.  Eventually, I was able to overcome the jealousy trying to eat its way through me, and I was able to keep my composure and my friends.  I was still lonely, though.

As high school came to a close, I was getting ready for college.  With that came a lot of graduation parties.  With who I considered my best friend, I made rounds to nearly everyone's graduation party.  Most of the people were as suprised as I was when I showed up.  It was my last time seeing a lot of people who I just spent four years of my life with, and I didn't feel like seeing them.  I didn't really miss most of them.  After the parties were done, I repressed the past and got ready for the future.

Starting college, I again tried to become someone that I wasn't.  This kept up for the first semester, but I was able to realize that I was being stupid.  I realized that I should just be myself, and if people don't like who I really am, then I probably wouldn't want anything to do with them.  I was lucky to be on a floor with a bunch of great guys who became some great friends.  But I was still feeling alone.

Recently, a girl initiated a conversation with me.  Or rather, tried.  What that happened, I don't know what I did.  I guess I paniced on the inside.  I said something and just walked away.  It was the first time that something like that had happened in my life, and I completely messed it up.  Ever since 8th grade, when I tried to tell a girl how I felt, I was rejected.  Not being able to tell her in person, I wrote a heartfelt letter expressing my feelings.  What I got in reply was a couple of sentences saying that we should just be friends.  Since that time, my self esteem has been in the toilet.  I haven't been able to talk to girls since, but I long for a relationship so badly.

Thanks for anyone who reads this.  I just wanted to tell this to someone.  I haven't been able to tell this to even my closest of friends.  I guess I have always been afraid of scaring them away.  But again, thanks to anyone who reads this.

that so true. the outcasts, the hard work, the jelaously. it describes me, :(

dear the uknown who posted this thread!

i did enjoy reading your thread, it's exactly, exactly exactly the same story is running but with me!!

i dont know if that's right or now, but i did really laughed, didnt laugh like this before for long long time! hahahah so thank you very much, maybe i laughed because of the same situation. specially when you said
"my self esteem has been in the toilet. I haven't been able to talk to girls since, but I long for a relationship so badly"
hahahaha, how come these things happen to two people!!!? i really thought i'm the abnormal guy ever!

At least a girl tried to talk to you, no girl has ever wanted to talk to me ever

Latest posts

Back