Using books to escape

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinzoku

Reaction score
I've gotten back into reading recently. It fills up all that empty time. But I can't help but wonder; is that dangerous, to an extent? I oftentimes find myself wishing to be a half blood like in Percy Jackson, or a wizard in Harry Potter, or some character in my own personal fantasy world I hope to write books for soon. I've created sonas for all of them and while thinking about them, and reading the books they're based around, I can pass hours and hours. My friends tell me I'm distant; I've been told before that I don't have a proper dose of reality, that I'm going to be screwed up with a fantasy mentality when I finally go off to college.

So what I'm asking is, do you think there's an extent to the amount of time you put into each book you read? I use them to escape my empty and rather lonely life, but if it's getting to be too much...

I read a lot too, in order to put my loneliness to one side (in as far as I can) for a while. On one hand I think that when loneliness is very deep it is good to read/watch TV etc for a respite from feeling it for a while. On the other hand, we have to do things to tackle loneliness as well, such as trying to go out to meet people and to strengthen any bonds we may already have. So I would say that reading is better than sitting thinking about loneliness, but not to the extent that it would prevent us from also going out and trying to form bonds with people.

Shinzoku said:
I've gotten back into reading recently. It fills up all that empty time. But I can't help but wonder; is that dangerous, to an extent? I oftentimes find myself wishing to be a half blood like in Percy Jackson, or a wizard in Harry Potter, or some character in my own personal fantasy world I hope to write books for soon. I've created sonas for all of them and while thinking about them, and reading the books they're based around, I can pass hours and hours. My friends tell me I'm distant; I've been told before that I don't have a proper dose of reality, that I'm going to be screwed up with a fantasy mentality when I finally go off to college.

So what I'm asking is, do you think there's an extent to the amount of time you put into each book you read? I use them to escape my empty and rather lonely life, but if it's getting to be too much...

Reading books would make me so lonely, your an amazing person to be able to do that. If i read any book, I will remember the time I met a wonderful girl at the bookstore and left her and any book will bring back that pain and memory.

Trust me you're not the only one who does this. Sometimes I find myself get very lonely that I have to read a book so I can get my mind off of negative things. I have a great passion for books alone and get very lost in them. Fantasy novels are amazing, especially! =)

People look at this differently, it can be either good or bad. If it makes you feel good inside though, I don't see no harm in it. Just remember to take care of yourself as well. Hope I helped! *hug*

I see reading books as any type of other recreation/hobby. i am a gamer. sometimes when im lonely i just play by myself. at times i read too. not typical novels though. and i watch some movies. like you, i imagine myself as the characters, put myself in their shoes, etc... in the end i gather the principles through each chapter, the moral of the stories, dangers to avoid, etc. and apply them in my life. no i cant do magic, but i can have the courage to stand up like the main characters in the stories. No its not easy, but the stories gives me strength.

like tiina said though, eventually youll have to go out or strengthen existing bonds.

Why not use books to escape? If you can read, love to read, and can put yourself into a character's shoes - it makes that book much better! I've never met someone who has never ever fantasized about being a character from a game, movie, or book. Many people hate to admit it!

Regumika pointed something out: They gain strength from stories. They do apply certain things and traits of characters to their own lives. We learn from literature, moreso than media. Well, we can... Some don't. Books are not set on "what the public wants to read/hear!" unlike TV, where it is always bad things on the news, and everything based on drama. Books have a level of everything we want, individually, with millions of unknown and known writers out there giving you different stories, based on different things and genres ;)

I used to read. I have not read much recently. I've found it hard to!

Books are nothing but another form of escapism, like video games, television, alcohol, religion (sometimes, not always). Nothing wrong with that, as long as it's done right, and not too often. I do it with video games, since I can control what happens in those, and I love the story. I play games for their story, I read for the story, it allows a moment of reprieve.

I used to escape in to the library in high school to escape the bullies. They wouldn't set foot in there unless they actually had to for a class. I read mostly history books back then. Still do, but now also read a lot of fantasy and sci-fi. It ends up feeling that I'm a part of their lives. I share when they are happy, and share when they are sad. Of course, there's a slight feeling of voyeurism as well. Your just watching, like a ghost, as these people and characters go on an adventure, as they fall in love .. and as they make love.But, I feel that I've been allowed closer to dead people and fictional characters, than I've ever been allowed with a 'real' person.

Huh, at times, it actually feels that the fictional people are more real than I am.

Cucuboth said:
I used to escape in to the library in high school to escape the bullies.

Gosh that's sad. I wish we had been at the same school because I was a hardcore bullied person defender. Nothing got me madder than when I saw some poor kid getting picked on. I had no issues in high school with that because I was ok with everyone and most people liked me. But there was more than one occasion when I'd go after someone super popular for being a ****** to someone else for no good reason. It boiled my blood, because there's no excuse for unkindness without reason.

I read all the time. it can get dangerous I admit, but the trick is that you should pick the right books to read, books that can help you improve rather than make you wish you were a character in a novel.

Books aren't dangerous, meth is. As long as you're not a meth head you're doing fine. And yes, I keep the bar very low.

Anyway being really into all that fantasy harry potter shits actually a good thing so don't try to change yourself. If that's what you like and you enjoy immersing yourself in it then keep on doing it.

You shouldn't worry about spending too much time reading or fantasizing or doing anything you enjoy, you should only worry if you stop enjoying it.
Being "screwed up with a fantasy mentality" and distant is a lot better than being totally dead inside. (<--- this guy)

Latest posts

Back