Video Games - Stress-Relief

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ak5

Reaction score
Whenever I feel very lonely, I just turn on my Xbox 360 and play video games. They can be any type, FPS, RPG, Racing, etc. Later, I feel much better!

Your thoughts or experiences?

Agree with ya 100% man. Games are great stress relief, I play on my Xbox and listen to music off it all the time. Gears of War's always just found a way to take my mind off everything, and I feel great afterwards. That and Guitar Hero. That really helps soothe me and help me concentrate. Gamers Unite!

I love video games! Eagerly awaiting torchlight 2 and mass effect 3!

I don't have a games thingy or anything though my sisters Wii is great fun! I used to play online racing games but I had to stop because I was way to sweary and got super stressed!

So nope, no stress release here. Oops.

Do any of you feel that the time could be more effectively spent cultivating real life relationships through social interaction that could ultimately provide more stress relief than originally believed?

I'm a bit like annik. I get "way to sweary" and end up very not chill...

p.s. annik it should be too not to :p

I'm an Xbox freak too,and I'm addicted to Blops Zombies.But after about round 20,I get so stressed out by those critters chasing me,I have to take a shower afterwards!

They used to help me with stress until about two weeks ago, now they started making it worse...can't wait for Saints Row: The Third, though. That looks good for stress-relief.

i love it when i try to relieve my stress by playing a game and then it pisses me off more and then i get mad, start yelling at it and then go crazy and either die or totally ******* anihilate them (usually zombies) all.....well, except for the tank that'll come of nowhere and basically try to sit on me

For me, the ultimate stress release for games was modding RPGs – especially Neverwinter Nights since the tool-set was user friendly while allowing a lot of manual input – and putting people from work in it such as a boss or someone who was a pain in the derrière, an ex gf, ect.

Normally, one hour of good game play takes about one hundred hours of effort but it was worth it esp when it was time to kill them at the end of the game and extremely satisfying.

My mother and daughter loves RPGs and we would all play it on LAN cooperatively.

Also, I would create short cut scenes with automated game play by changing the factions and record it.

This would be shared during our staff meeting.

One boss loved beer so much I had him at a bar talking to us staff members set in a medieval time period and he got all drunk and gave us an assignment.

All of the staff members gained up on him and beat him to death with fists because we did not like the assignment.

For about two years, my boss and others looked forward to it – it was a good time and a way to laugh after grueling hours of our meeting.

I just love gaming a bit too much, I'm afraid. It's just so comfortable to just allow yourself to be completely sucked into a world that is nowhere near as shitty as the real world.
I mean.. real life just sucks - You don't respawn, status effects take waaaaaay too long, and the grind.. ugh.. the grind is too horrible to even describe, and without it, you can't even level your character - WTF ?

Yeah, you immerse yourself in the game and forget all your problems. RPGs are best at this.

Gaming rocks so much. And I've gotta say, it is usually Nintendo that has me most excited. Skyward Sword is coming out next month. It has been a while since I've played through a truly epic adventure game. I'm ridiculously excited for this one. Even the new Kirby due this month looks cool! And Wii U is going to be one heck of a system. I know I say that about all Nintendo systems, but (lol) this thing has some major potential.

Ak5 said:
Whenever I feel very lonely, I just turn on my Xbox 360 and play video games. They can be any type, FPS, RPG, Racing, etc. Later, I feel much better!

Your thoughts or experiences?

Yes!

Now I'm playing Counter Strike a lot.

But also play with the N64 emulator and once in a while my PS2.

I like old games...

I've noticed that just about everyone around me (school, work) spends a lot of time gaming. This is a sure way to get nowhere in life. It's a temporary anesthesia that, in the long run because you've wasted so much time doing it, makes life worse.

Every once in a while excursions of any type (including gaming) are healthy, but spending more than an hour or 2 a week is a recipe for disaster.

There are so many things one can do with the time instead that are more productive to not only themselves but to society itself.

*gets ready to be shot, stabbed, & arrowed lol by the gaming freaks*

I've also noticed it leads to isolation (of course - if you're playing games so much it leaves no time to socialize) which then leads to depression. Bad ... bad cycle.

Latest posts

Back