Video Games - Stress-Relief

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sprint said:
I've noticed that just about everyone around me (school, work) spends a lot of time gaming. This is a sure way to get nowhere in life. It's a temporary anesthesia that, in the long run because you've wasted so much time doing it, makes life worse.

Every once in a while excursions of any type (including gaming) are healthy, but spending more than an hour or 2 a week is a recipe for disaster.

There are so many things one can do with the time instead that are more productive to not only themselves but to society itself.

*gets ready to be shot, stabbed, & arrowed lol by the gaming freaks*

I've also noticed it leads to isolation (of course - if you're playing games so much it leaves no time to socialize) which then leads to depression. Bad ... bad cycle.
I won't instantly stone you to death (yeah, you forgot that one, sucker!) on account of you saying it's unhealthy. I'm perfectly aware of the fact that it can be unhealthy, in several cases. But that's just not the case in every situation. In my situation, I play games whenever I've got enough time on my hands to do so. Well, in the past 2 weeks, that amounted to 2 days. On every other day, I had to go to school, where I have a perfectly normal social life, but as soon as I get home - all of that falls apart. As long as I am at home, there is no social aspect, nor is there any way of changing that - now I could spend that time moping, and staring out of the window, hoping I'd have some really good friends living nearby, or I could just enjoy myself by playing some games. I choose games.

I think games stress me out frustrate me as you cant control something or other simple games like on the wee tennis are ok I guess if you like it its good fun bomber jack, bobbles bobbles, star fox wipe out, i like some., honeysuckle war games with 50 controls to figure out nar sorry the word game is the wrong word virtual life or hobby would be better.

Vagrant Legacy said:
Sprint said:
*gets ready to be shot, stabbed, & arrowed lol by the gaming freaks*
I won't instantly stone you to death (yeah, you forgot that one, sucker!) on account of you saying it's unhealthy. I'm perfectly aware of the fact that it can be unhealthy, in several cases. But that's just not the case in every situation. In my situation, I play games whenever I've got enough time on my hands to do so. Well, in the past 2 weeks, that amounted to 2 days. On every other day, I had to go to school, where I have a perfectly normal social life, but as soon as I get home - all of that falls apart. As long as I am at home, there is no social aspect, nor is there any way of changing that - now I could spend that time moping, and staring out of the window, hoping I'd have some really good friends living nearby, or I could just enjoy myself by playing some games. I choose games.

I'll be damned... I did lol.

Video games are good stress relievers.

They send me into a whole other world----the main character(s) world. I literally put myself/imagine myself at their side, on their journey, fighting enemies that'll take us one step closer to the villain of the game who wants to destroy the world or harm an important person. I don't feel lonely anymore when I'm in this "zone" because I'm in "their world".

But, outside of what video games do to me,

Although they can be good stress relievers, you also have to be careful of the game you choose because they can also backfire on you and stress you out beyond belief.

It's...almost like a double-edged sword if you're using this to comfort you.

Video ganes become unhealthy when:

1. Replace real interactions
2. Get you sitting in the couch all day
3. Your unemployed and do nothing but play
4. Make you violent.
5. Make you believe life's a game.

That's the only things I can think of so far.

I find it hard to enjoy video games when I'm stressed or depressed. There are times when I would have to quit a game because I remembered something that was really troubling me. I usually turn to music for the comfort and relief of stress.

I do find it slightly funny that we now already have two people, who have Final Fantasy characters as their profile pics, in this thread - So far we've got Noctis and Lightning - could we get some, I don't know.. Cloud ? Or basically anyone else from 7 ? Nobody.. ? meh.

I enjoy video games a whole lot, and been meaning to upgrade the rig for a long time, now. Maybe buy a whole new rig alltogether, so's I can play with my brother. Best times I've had in life, I've played with friends and my older brother. :)

Still, they are great stress relievers. Helps break the dull feeling I get from going about the 'daily routine', in which I only find myself wondering when the next weekend's gonna come my way. Video games, music and comics make up for a whole lot of my happy-place-comfort-buffer-zone against the realities of life. :p

I don't really like the arguments against playing video games too much. Saying they make life worse implies that if you didn't play video games you would be doing something productive. If people planned on being productive in the first place they wouldn't play video games. Hell, it beats drinking, doing drugs, and chronic gambling. For all you know it could be an improvement to what you would have ended up doing.

use it right and its awesome
use it wrong and it can have an unpleasant effect.
just like eeeeeeeeverything else in life.
so no more whining about gaming being a bad thing please.
getting real old.
if it fuckes your life up your doing it wrong :p

If you break your dick while doing sex, you're doing it wrong.

Anyway, there are enough people who game these days that its genuinely not a bad way to socialize. I've often mocked that WoW is a great dating site, but it really is, for a lot of people.

I started a new game on Red Dead Redemption last night, that cheered me up for a while. Still waiting for the ultimate relief for stress.

XI-XI-XI. It won't be long..

Latest posts

Back