Wanting to be home the moment you go out

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sometimes I'm totally fine going out, but there are other times where I leave the house and feel incredibly uncomfortable the entire time. I was looking forward to a Magic The Gathering night and when I got to my friend's house that day, I just felt really anxious and uncomfortable the whole time I was there. His parents were there which made it even more upsetting (not sure why this happens, but I hate meeting people's relatives) and I ended up just really unhappy the whole time until I went home. I try to mask it, because I don't want to seem rude about it.

It sounds like the only reason you were really uncomfortable was because of your friends parents being there. Why is that? Why did it matter so much that they were there? I could probably guess why but it's better if it comes from you and your thoughts and feelings. Don't be afraid to open up here.

Sci-Fi said:
It sounds like the only reason you were really uncomfortable was because of your friends parents being there. Why is that? Why did it matter so much that they were there? I could probably guess why but it's better if it comes from you and your thoughts and feelings. Don't be afraid to open up here.

No, that wasn't the only reason. But that does seem to be a strange thing that I have. I constantly fear that someone isn't going to like me, and I dislike the notion that if someone's parents don't like me, then I won't be able to hang out anymore (Which is ridiculous because I'm 18 and so are my friends. It's only logical that they can hang out with whomever they feel like but its still like that)
I just try really really hard not to impose, but I never feel like I'm doing anything right.
I also just haven't known their parents as long as I've known them... and that just makes me feel really uncomfortable. I can't speak aroung people I haven't known a long time and friends' parents aren't an exception.
I know it isn't just the parents thing because I recently left a convention because I felt the same way and there weren't parents involved.

Feeling uncomfortable around your friends parents that you don't know well is normal. It seems like you are letting your fears of not being liked control you. You just need to learn how not to worry about it so much. If someone doesn't like you it's not the end of the world, cause there are people who do like you. You are bound to have people who don't like you, everyone does, that's just life. You can't control other people, everyone has their quirks.

Latest posts

Back