We don't 'need' relationships

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
doge said:
Yea regulation can have potential to end up in shambles unless put in for a clear reason for something more simple to regulate ;p  Social issues are complex. Surprisingly no one has called me a nazi b4  lol

I was dumbfounded for having ever been called one lol.
But then I understood why. I modified my stance to it. I still think parents don't know how to raise kids sometimes, but it's also their right. As long as they are not doing harmful things to them. However...emphasis on education, you know?

Richard_39 said:
doge said:
Yea regulation can have potential to end up in shambles unless put in for a clear reason for something more simple to regulate ;p  Social issues are complex. Surprisingly no one has called me a nazi b4  lol

I was dumbfounded for having ever been called one lol.
But then I understood why. I modified my stance to it. I still think parents don't know how to raise kids sometimes, but it's also their right. As long as they are not doing harmful things to them. However...emphasis on education, you know?
Yea education has its merits when done well

Yes. Its not a need. People perceive it as a need when they lack something and expect that others might fulfill it. But true relationships are made when people have so much that they just want to share. Relationships should be a consequence, not a need.

doge said:
Well I must say the subtitle for this section of the forum is misleading.
Nobody 'needs' relationships.
If you read any Buddhist concepts before one of these is attachment. This grasping for things is unhealthy, an enjoyment of sense of bondage rather than freedom.

You can not only be happy without them, but it is much healthier not to cling to people closely.
If you feel like you 'need' something that intensely other than like food, water etc there is probably some unhealthy sense of attachment there.
We can still relate to people healthily, just not out of need.

We don't need money either, hell there's people who live out their lives in solitary confinement and exist on nothing but food and sleep and I guarantee they're not happy.  

I have a saying, "quality of life is worth something."  It is to me, and as a man who people generally don't like, I'm better at making enemies than friends, I live a loners life, except that I like female companionship.  I don't "need" female companionship, but it makes my life immeasurably better having it.  Sure, I have "bondage" now, I am accountable to someone.  Yet, it's a small price to pay in my opinion.  Sour grapes philosophy on life really doesn't make you feel better.  "Reject first lest ye be rejected" is a hard way to live and you can tell yourself over and over that you're better off - until you either believe it or come up with a plan B.

morrowrd said:
 Sure, I have "bondage" now, I am accountable to someone.  Yet, it's a small price to pay in my opinion.  S

What he/she means is the bondage of becoming emotionally attached, where you essentially become a slave to that attachment. Not a view I share since I don't subsribe to Buddhist beliefs, but it's one of the central concepts. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upādāna

ardour said:
morrowrd said:
 Sure, I have "bondage" now, I am accountable to someone.  Yet, it's a small price to pay in my opinion.  S

What he/she means is the bondage of becoming emotionally attached, where you essentially become a slave to that attachment. Not a view I share since I don't subsribe to Buddhist beleifs, but it's one of the central concepts. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upādāna

Hehe.
What about the other bondage?

Latest posts

Back