We may be lonely, single, friendless, etc, but...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuietGuy

Reaction score
We may be lonely, single, friendless, etc, but that's nothing compared to this guy's tragic condition:

I am a 56-year-old man who suffered a catastrophic stroke in June 2005 whilst on a business trip to Athens, Greece.

It left me paralysed below the neck and unable to speak. I need help in almost every aspect of my life.

I cannot scratch if I itch. I cannot pick my nose if it is blocked and I can only eat if I am fed like a baby - only I won't grow out of it, unlike a baby.

I have no privacy or dignity left. I am washed, dressed and put to bed by carers who are, after all, still strangers.

I am fed up with my life and don't want to spend the next 20 years or so like this. Am I grateful that the Athens doctors saved my life?

No, I am not. If I had my time again, and knew then what I know now, I would have not called the ambulance but let nature take its course.

(See BBC News, Guardian, Independent)

Mr Nicklinson, of Melksham, Wiltshire, communicates by blinking or nodding his head at letters on a board.

He has stopped talking to most people as it is so frustrating to communicate using an alphabet board.

His paralysis beneath the neck means he cannot kill himself other than by prolonged starvation, which he does not want to do, and he is not willing to risk his wife being jailed for life on a murder charge if she kills him.

He spends most of each day in his specially adapted bungalow watching daytime TV and painstakingly writing a memoir with the help of a computer. He also writes letters to people on the right-to-die debate. A carer stays overnight and helps him to move his limbs three or four times during the night.

"Often he coughs and he needs to have his saliva wiped or he needs to be repositioned because he has flopped over," explains a statement prepared by his solicitor Bindmans.

Now, of course, awareness of this guy's condition does nothing to solve our own problems... but I think it puts everything into perspective :( After reading his tragic story, I realised that actually my problems really aren't so bad after all...

Nothing like perspective to set us straight.

I hope to never experience that, and I think we all have the 'right to die' so to speak if we desire to do so and have good reason.

I hope to never experience that either. It's like experiencing helplessness times 1 million. I don't blame the guy if he wishes for his life to end. We can just read his experience and try to imagine what he could be feeling but we really can't feel what he feels. We can't fully comprehend the kind of pain he is going through. It's these kinds of stories that probably remind me that I should be grateful for numerous reasons like being alive up to now, being financially stable, and not handicapped.

QuietGuy said:
We may be lonely, single, friendless, etc, but that's nothing compared to this guy's tragic condition:

I am a 56-year-old man who suffered a catastrophic stroke in June 2005 whilst on a business trip to Athens, Greece.

It left me paralysed below the neck and unable to speak. I need help in almost every aspect of my life.

I cannot scratch if I itch. I cannot pick my nose if it is blocked and I can only eat if I am fed like a baby - only I won't grow out of it, unlike a baby.

I have no privacy or dignity left. I am washed, dressed and put to bed by carers who are, after all, still strangers.

I am fed up with my life and don't want to spend the next 20 years or so like this. Am I grateful that the Athens doctors saved my life?

No, I am not. If I had my time again, and knew then what I know now, I would have not called the ambulance but let nature take its course.

(See BBC News, Guardian, Independent)

Mr Nicklinson, of Melksham, Wiltshire, communicates by blinking or nodding his head at letters on a board.

He has stopped talking to most people as it is so frustrating to communicate using an alphabet board.

His paralysis beneath the neck means he cannot kill himself other than by prolonged starvation, which he does not want to do, and he is not willing to risk his wife being jailed for life on a murder charge if she kills him.

He spends most of each day in his specially adapted bungalow watching daytime TV and painstakingly writing a memoir with the help of a computer. He also writes letters to people on the right-to-die debate. A carer stays overnight and helps him to move his limbs three or four times during the night.

"Often he coughs and he needs to have his saliva wiped or he needs to be repositioned because he has flopped over," explains a statement prepared by his solicitor Bindmans.

Now, of course, awareness of this guy's condition does nothing to solve our own problems... but I think it puts everything into perspective :( After reading his tragic story, I realised that actually my problems really aren't so bad after all...

Your right its a sober reminder that we take for granted even what we do have, i hope that guy is geting looked after well must be tough, ive lost more than a few friends and watched a family member die recently from a melanoma, thats a sad story and ive heard some much worse ones before as well some things that people go thru are horrible it should make the rest of us humble and willing to help out wherever we can.

Too many people are caught up in their own lives to realize it could be a lot worse. There should be a point where if someone is suffering so much, they should have that right. Even if it hurts loved ones surrounding them. Although, I have to say, hearing someone you love say they want to die, hurts more than anyone ever realizes.

:(

i don't know... to me it is kinda weird - hearing about other people's horrible lives doesn't make me feel better about mine.
even if for the simple reason that it somehow feels like horrors of other people may have a good side to them - making us feel better about our own - which i am loathe to agree on. i just don't want to give any merit to that kind of thinking..

(i am making a mess of this reply. meh.)

This is like the guy in "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," a great film based on a memoir and a true story. The former editor of ELLE magazine had this condition.

That kind of story just makes me more frustrated sometimes. It reminds me that something like that may happen to me someday, but here I am spending day after day discontent with my life but unable to figure out how to fix it, and I feel like time is running out. Good health only lasts so long.

JamaisVu said:
That kind of story just makes me more frustrated sometimes. It reminds me that something like that may happen to me someday, but here I am spending day after day discontent with my life but unable to figure out how to fix it, and I feel like time is running out. Good health only lasts so long.

good health only lasts so long your right maybethereissomething around thecorner for you just gottakeep thechin up and i hopesomething isaround the corner for me aswell but ive turned a lot of corners andtherewas nothing there but you just gotta try to be positive

Latest posts

Back