What are you feeling, hoping, thinking, or remembering right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feeling kind of sad, Facebook created a video for friends day, the majority of pictures it picks out are from when I was a kid with my friend who passed in November. Lots of memories in there.

Wayfarer said:
I so hate myself again

*hug*

Sci-Fi said:
Feeling kind of sad, Facebook created a video for friends day, the majority of pictures it picks out are from when I was a kid with my friend who passed in November. Lots of memories in there.

:( *hugs*

This is all quite exasperating. Why do they act that way? I'm not dead, I'm just single, and very happily so. "You must be so depressed"? Why? Why 'must' I be? I 'should' be jealous? Really, really? I don't know why they believe one must depend on a significant other to provide any sense of happiness or possibly achievement. Wouldn't that be a huge burden to place on someone? If they can't make you happy, what then? Discard them and find someone new, ad infinitum? Shouldn't you know how to be content being by yourself first? I'm not waiting for someone to save me- from myself or boredom or cats or whatever it is. This infernally frustrating skepticism that people have towards my attitude concerning this and my outlook on life is the only depressing thing about the whole situation.

Aisha said:
This is all quite exasperating. Why do they act that way? I'm not dead, I'm just single, and very happily so. "You must be so depressed"? Why? Why 'must' I be? I 'should' be jealous? Really, really? I don't know why they believe one must depend on a significant other to provide any sense of happiness or possibly achievement. Wouldn't that be a huge burden to place on someone? If they can't make you happy, what then? Discard them and find someone new, ad infinitum? Shouldn't you know how to be content being by yourself first? I'm not waiting for someone to save me- from myself or boredom or cats or whatever it is. This infernally frustrating skepticism that people have towards my attitude concerning this and my outlook on life is the only depressing thing about the whole situation.

*applause*

I honestly believe most relationships fail because people can't be happy on their own and fixate on finding a partner, believing (falsely) that it will "fix everything".

You're entirely right, people should know how to be happy first. Too bad that isn't common sense. I'd much rather share my happiness with someone than be miserable and share that.

I tell people I am happy on my own, they tell me, "Don't worry, you'll find someone". They just don't get it.

I have a small inclination to "find someone", but I don't actually want to. I want that feeling to go away because I know **** well that it is almost destined to fail. What I value, is not valued by most people. To date, for me, would be to look for a needle in a haystack, across the universe, with broken binoculars, on a carnival ride, and with sand in my eyes. Just not a smart choice for me.

Cheers to being happy on our own!

People who need people are threatened by people who don’t. The idea of seeking contentment alone is heretical, for society steadfastly decrees that our completeness lies in others. –Lionel Fisher, Celebrating Time Alone: Stories of Splendid Solitude

A day without some zombie killing is simply not a complete day. ****, evening has arrived far too quickly.

Digitales said:
I honestly believe most relationships fail because people can't be happy on their own and fixate on finding a partner, believing (falsely) that it will "fix everything".
You're entirely right, people should know how to be happy first. Too bad that isn't common sense. I'd much rather share my happiness with someone than be miserable and share that.
I tell people I am happy on my own, they tell me, "Don't worry, you'll find someone". They just don't get it.
I have a small inclination to "find someone", but I don't actually want to. I want that feeling to go away because I know **** well that it is almost destined to fail. What I value, is not valued by most people. To date, for me, would be to look for a needle in a haystack, across the universe, with broken binoculars, on a carnival ride, and with sand in my eyes. Just not a smart choice for me.

Cheers to being happy on our own!
People who need people are threatened by people who don’t. The idea of seeking contentment alone is heretical, for society steadfastly decrees that our completeness lies in others. –Lionel Fisher, Celebrating Time Alone: Stories of Splendid Solitude

You're quite right that it would be better to share your happiness than share misery. That's an interesting quote and I agree with the latter half of it. But I don't think it's accurate to say those who need others feel threatened by those who don't. Oftentimes they simply appear to be genuinely puzzled by it. It is human nature to be curious and to judge what is different from you or what you know. I don't blame people for it but it certainly frustrates me when it happens too frequently. It's not always possible to explain to them why I think the way I do either, because that is met with incredulity.
As for dating.. I don't hold quite the same view you've stated. I believe things are always possible for people if they try for it, including finding a partner. I am just happy with what is and not worried about what may or may not come. If I thought of this as something vital that I lack, I may be as depressed as certain people have told me I ought to be. If I thought in that way, I would forget to live today being concerned with the troubles of tomorrow. I want to enjoy my life while I'm living it and not wait to live it someday with someone else. Who knows, maybe that'll happen too. But until then, I'm happy as I am.
Cheers to your happiness too =)

I'm hoping that I haven't made anyone feel badly.

Chasing a dream is understandable but being chased by your own dream? Seriously! What is that suppose to mean? Life is not a horror movie, is it? Meh, why did I even had that dream for godsake in the first place? It should have been car or money or freaking castle or something but no!

Stupid head, stupid dream and Stupid...

For 20 years I have never followed my gut feeling. But the last couple of years I have listened to it, and it has served me very well. Now my gut is telling me my friend is not telling me the truth about something. They have honestly sworn that the thing we have discussed a few times, they are giving me the full story. I can't make them tell the truth and I think I know why they would not reveal it all, and I don't want to make them uncomfortable, but it is just hanging in the air.

My guess is that they think they are doing what is right, but that would only work if I didn't have a feeling something is a miss.

Serenia said:
My guess is that they think they are doing what is right, but that would only work if I didn't have a feeling something is a miss.

Maybe it's only a feeling after all. I do listen to my gut feelings sometimes but they are not always right. I keep them to myself, but depending on the friendship I may eventually decide to tell my friend about how I feel just to make everything clear. If I am a close friend, the friends would understand.

What's so important is to find the right moment to discuss it.

Hopetracer said:
Serenia said:

Maybe it's only a feeling after all. I do listen to my gut feelings sometimes but they are not always right. I keep them to myself, but depending on the friendship I may eventually decide to tell my friend about how I feel just to make everything clear. If I am a close friend, the friends would understand.

What's so important is to find the right moment to discuss it.

I have addressed it a few times now. It has been going on a while now. They have had the chance to tell the truth 3 times. The problem is every now and then hey will make a random comment and it brings it back to the surface, like they do want to address it, but given the oppurtunity they back off. It would be easy to forget if it was dropped completely, but it never seems to be.

Latest posts

Back