What are you thinking right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to be alone right now. Don't want to date, don't want a man in my life. But I don't think that's going to be the case forever. In 8 years, I will have only adult children, what then? If I only have myself to take care of, will I still feel the same way?
Would it be stupid to wait until I don't want to be alone to date? Obviously I'm not going to find someone I want to be with immediately, that's going to take awhile....but I don't want to deal with the hassle of dating and socializing in that context.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't who I am.

9006 said:
ladyforsaken said:
9006 said:
Why do I love the sound of rain tapping on the window yet tear the place up when a tap drips? Weird.

Hey, it's you. :0

Yup, it is the last time I checked. I'll have to check again now - you've got me paranoid.

Yeah, it still is.

Lol, you.

lonelyfairy said:
I hope you won't die... Otherwise I've no reason to live anymore. :(

*hugs*

I honestly think I'm an emotional masochist. Willingly allowing myself to turn into broken puzzle pieces and selfishly expecting others to put me back together when they have their own missing pieces. I'm sorry I'm not stronger. :(

TheRealCallie said:
I want to be alone right now.  Don't want to date, don't want a man in my life.  But I don't think that's going to be the case forever.  In 8 years, I will have only adult children, what then?  If I only have myself to take care of, will I still feel the same way?  
Would it be stupid to wait until I don't want to be alone to date? Obviously I'm not going to find someone I want to be with immediately, that's going to take awhile....but I don't want to deal with the hassle of dating and socializing in that context.

I remember either reading or being told or something once ages ago, that the best time to try to date is when you're comfortable being alone.  The argument is, when you start to hate being alone, you start looking for anyone to spend time with and its more likely you end up with someone who is bad for you, since youll be less picky.

zibafu said:
TheRealCallie said:
I want to be alone right now.  Don't want to date, don't want a man in my life.  But I don't think that's going to be the case forever.  In 8 years, I will have only adult children, what then?  If I only have myself to take care of, will I still feel the same way?  

I remember either reading or being told or something once ages ago, that the best time to try to date is when you're comfortable being alone.  The argument is, when you start to hate being alone, you start looking for anyone to spend time with and its more likely you end up with someone who is bad for you, since youll be less picky.

Interesting.
I actually tried the approach. In my case, though, you've been too long alone, you just don't want to be with someone anymore. You're so used to being alone, to not fighting, to not sharing with anyone, wether it be for the advantages or disadvantages, that you become particularly fearful of doing it again.
At least in my case.
I guess it's a question can only be answered on an individual basis. I know personally I'm kind of caught in a weird between state where I don't feel there's much getting out of. I'm not even convinced I still believe in love, no matter what fancy words I throw around.
Right now, I'd just be content with a girl sharing a deep friendship. Too much of a mess to think romance.

Richard_39 said:
zibafu said:
TheRealCallie said:

Interesting.
I actually tried the approach. In my case, though, you've been too long alone, you just don't want to be with someone anymore. You're so used to being alone, to not fighting, to not sharing with anyone, wether it be for the advantages or disadvantages, that you become particularly fearful of doing it again.
At least in my case.
I guess it's a question can only be answered on an individual basis. I know personally I'm kind of caught in a weird between state where I don't feel there's much getting out of. I'm not even convinced I still believe in love, no matter what fancy words I throw around.
Right now, I'd just be content with a girl sharing a deep friendship. Too much of a mess to think romance.

I think it entirely depends on why you are single and what your state of mind is.  It makes sense though.  If I do decide to date, it won't be any time soon.  I'm way too busy and have enough to worry about.  I suppose it couldn't hurt to start getting more friends though.  Although, again, not really having the free time all that much these days. lol

TheRealCallie said:
I suppose it couldn't hurt to start getting more friends though. 

Wanna play cards sometimes? If you're in the area, we'll get our kids to play together ;-)
You can teach me all about being upbeat, that's something I'm lacking these days lol

This is unbelievable, and I'm sorry, but a lot of it is you thinking you finally have even more excuses, legit or non-legit, to not do anything. I'm showered, dressed, and ready in a half an hour. If I want to take longer, I make sure I take the time from myself, by getting up early. I don't make anyone wait.

Richard_39 said:
TheRealCallie said:

Wanna play cards sometimes? If you're in the area, we'll get our kids to play together ;-)
You can teach me all about being upbeat, that's something I'm lacking these days lol

If I ever find myself in the neighborhood, I'll be sure to swing by. lol  Don't hold your breath though.....

playing chess against a work manager, first game Ive played in years, was losing, then suddenly I checkmated him, wasnt even trying at that point, just wanted to snag his bishop hahahaa

hes not happy

TheRealCallie said:
Richard_39 said:
If I ever find myself in the neighborhood, I'll be sure to swing by. lol  Don't hold your breath though.....

LOL noted. Don't hold your breath on me either, my last US visit was pre-9-11 and with all the child support and all, odds are I'll be working without any money for retirement until I'm 80 some odd years ;-)
But you know what? You're the kind of friend I'd enjoy seeing all the time. Classy lady, I mean it :)

Richard_39 said:
TheRealCallie said:
Richard_39 said:

LOL noted. Don't hold your breath on me either, my last US visit was pre-9-11 and with all the child support and all, odds are I'll be working without any money for retirement until I'm 80 some odd years ;-)
But you know what? You're the kind of friend I'd enjoy seeing all the time. Classy lady, I mean it :)

Last semester, my son took a college class about Canada.  One of his assignments was to create a trip/itinerary going from one end of Canada to the other.  He actually wants to do it, but I'm not going to spend $7000 and 3 weeks to travel from one end to the other.  :D

Last semester, my son took a college class about Canada.  One of his assignments was to create a trip/itinerary going from one end of Canada to the other.  He actually wants to do it, but I'm not going to spend $7000 and 3 weeks to travel from one end to the other.  :D

I kind of did it, once, more or less. Montreal-Burley, Idaho, by bus. Around 1998. Can you believe it cost me 290 dollars for a round trip? How times change lol. 7000 is a fortune. My daughter had a similar thing in school, trip to somewhere or such, I think Texas. They needed 2000 lol. I was luck, um...you guys going first class and hiring limos or something? ;-) Thankfully she changed her mind. I would had been a bit terrorized.

Richard_39 said:

I kind of did it, once, more or less. Montreal-Burley, Idaho, by bus. Around 1998. Can you believe it cost me 290 dollars for a round trip? How times change lol. 7000 is a fortune. My daughter had a similar thing in school, trip to somewhere or such, I think Texas. They needed 2000 lol. I was luck, um...you guys going first class and hiring limos or something? ;-) Thankfully she changed her mind. I would had been a bit terrorized.

My kid had to do it in a way that he wasn't driving more than a certain number of hours a day and he HAD to visit certain places.  He had like 50 stops or something like that.  With hotels and going to do stuff and honeysuckle, that adds up fast.  Gas is also a bit more expensive now.  It was driving the entire way and back.

TheRealCallie said:
My kid had to do it in a way that he wasn't driving more than a certain number of hours a day and he HAD to visit certain places.  He had like 50 stops or something like that.  With hotels and going to do stuff and honeysuckle, that adds up fast.  Gas is also a bit more expensive now.  It was driving the entire way and back.

LOl Wellif one of his stops is Montreal, let me know, I'll volunteer as a tour guide ;-)

TheRealCallie said:

You'll always have me [font=arial, sans-serif]❤ . [/font]

Everything is great, life is good, there's nothing to feel bad about. It's just steady, no need for anxiety, it'll all be the same tomorrow and the day after that... there's nothing to freak out about, there's no need to have big talks, it's all ok. Let's not go insane, it's time to relax -- just let time go by and everything will continue being just as chill as it was yesterday. Life is good, everything is great, don't go insane, things are chill, nothing to feel bad about, do not freak out!

That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
I guess I'll just have to repeat it till I feel it.

Latest posts

Back