What Decent Purpose Does Loneliness Provide?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
I was listening to some tunes, and for some reason this topic came to mind.
Why is it that humans get lonely? I'm not saying that everyone gets this way. What I'm curious about is why this even occurs in humans to begin with.

For the life of me, I cannot think of any purpose for loneliness. What good does it do anyone? What beneficial purpose comes from it? Thoughts?

Godspeed.
LoneKiller

Interesting... i'm gonna say it gets people to work together.. breed.. etc.

It serves a motivator for people to desire to find company, which is generally positive from a survival perspective. Humans are communal and social creatures and this can be seen in our near ancestors, such as the great apes.

Everyone need some down time to recharge, rest, or to just mellow the fresia out.

Our consious mind operate as its best when things are familar.

Theres two blind spots on your eyes...from the vessels to your brain.
Your brain actaully create faults images to cover those blinde spots so it can function.
Well some poeple creates fucken other delusions to keeps themselvse in thier comfortzone
even though its not productive for them or unhealthy for them..
The modern term for that is laziness or dysfunctional...becuase we're suppose
to be well to do people building towers to the heavens?lol

As humans Were still fucken mamals...we flock together. Which is your basic
instinks, Its built into our DNA.

The so call fucken 7 deadly sins are our basic
animal instinks. As humans our brain develope for the amphiam brain.

The Pains of loniness is your brain telling ya to go out and fresia someone?LOL

eithic...realigion...morals...blah are all fucken ideas created by man to whatever
the fucken a wonderful cilvilations should be...

But not all fucken humans are the same...such as fucken ants.
Different spicys of ants living in differnt envirnments...etc...ect.
So you cant just be saying oneway of living or believing is best for everyone.
Hence all the fucken conflicts...outcasted...blah..blah blah therefor fucken pockets
of squard pegs that dont fit exactly into the fucken hole or schemale of whatever idea
certain groups of people have tht wants to dominate the world with thier so call idea,

Hilter bascailly tried to do the samething...just like the spaniards or Romans dominate the world
at one time through force or power. Just like certain groups of people thats still doing same honeysuckle
today.

Like WTF dude???
How come Jesus never sermon to a fucken eskimo?
Was an eskimo ever mentioned in the bible?
Evidently a fucken Eskimo didnt write the bible?

Dont trippp dude...I went to church this morning and it's Christ based or the teaching of Christ.
I just listen to positive messages the ministor is teaching me so that I live a happier and productive life.
I listen for the principles....not the personalities or style of teachings.
Plus there's really fine women there...healthy, happy and productive women. :)

Just kidding dude...
I love Renae very much. I feel Im on the right path.
For some reason when I here certain message the minsitor teaches...My life makes sense to me or helps me to nothing give up
Keeping the faith . Having hope and all that good stuff

Plus as i say...it fills my need of belonging...so I that I dont fresia up and wanna belong
in the unhealthy life style I was living before and get into some really negative honeysuckle.
It eases my feelings of lonliness so that I dont isolate.
Im not going be a monk or a preacher...dude.
I love Reane very much. I wish to marry her. God willing and she's willing.
She say that she loves me very much. I believe that.

Hi...

Loneliness isn't the presence of anything; it's the resultant affective trauma of the absence of something.

Although it could be argued that loneliness is like survival training for a human who might one day have to fight for his life completely alone, somewhere, it's equally important to remember that loneliness isn't really an emotion, by name. Loneliness is the absence of several other emotions and is the flatness and suffering left behind during that absence.

Just as you can't "induce" cold into a thing (you can only remove heat, at varying speeds) you can't "induce" loneliness into a person's life - you can only remove feeling in tune with, and attached to, other humans. My own opinion?...loneliness is worthless, unless you seriously want it, or can find a strong enough need for it.

So, if my periods of loneliness are all down to Nature survival training me, then it's one of the most unhealthy and miserable lessons I've ever had to learn and I feel prepared for absolutely nothing of worth!

Nature! You got it wrong, again! :(

Ian.

Nature actually has gotten it quite right. If you remain completely lonely, you will not be able to reproduce and continue your genetic legacy. Its useful as a motivator, similar to, I suppose, hunger to motivate you in behaviors to seek foodstuffs.

Well as I develope as a person...or mature emotionally as a person
or understand myself better as a person...

Lonliness is just one of many, many emotions I have.
Such as FEARS...
Instead of masking fo fucken mountian out of a mole hill out of fears
and just recogonizing fears is just a human emotions it takes the power out of fears...

The same principles is for my feelings of loneliness.
Let go of it...just let it pass...etc..etc.
Respond and not react.

The thing of it is...I left Reane many years ago ( Im still slapping myself silly.lol)
Dudes...we had sex all the time. 10 times p day. sometimes any for weeks at a time.
I was far..far from lonely. I made stupid decisions. Listen to other people
instead of following my own heart. Ultimately Im still liable for that.
I reacted to ny fears. I actaully ended up messed up, torn up and lonely for leaving her.
That hurted Renae and effected her more than I could imagine.
It also effected our daughter profoundly

My daufghter feels like she alone living through this world.
Not until recently that she started reaching out to me that it kind of eased her pains.
She feels incomplete. That what she told me...
After all these years she feels like she's found the missing piece of the puzzle to her life. (ME)

So you cant just say loneliness gets people to go out and fresia....

Anyway...that pretty babe you see on my avitar is my duaghter...
She looks almost like her mom sometimes. Renae is her mom.

Herd animal instinct. Humans need each other to survive so we have this built in mechanism that makes us feel unhappy when we feel that we are alone in the world.

IgnoredOne said:
Nature actually has gotten it quite right. If you remain completely lonely, you will not be able to reproduce and continue your genetic legacy. Its useful as a motivator, similar to, I suppose, hunger to motivate you in behaviors to seek foodstuffs.

Hi...

I've not felt even remotely peckish in 26 years and I eat almost nothing.

Nature got that wrong...she got loneliness wrong, also! Wanting not to reproduce should not condemn a person to suffering loneliness.

If that's what Nature gives to those who have no wish to reproduce, then Nature got it wrong.

With me, she certainly got...many things...wrong!

We should not be electrochemically punished in this manner, simply because we decide not to be team players in the perpetuation of the species! If loneliness eventually faded away, like a person whose libido hits heights and absences, it would be far fairer and less socially crippling than the sub-clinical or non-clinical depression and consequently unshiftable self-isolation which we find ourselves having to tolerate!

Nature got THAT wrong!

Nature has created a form of creeping depression (or a ghastly route to take us there) that either eventually defeats, or merely overdoes, Her job of making us group together - and it keeps us, somehow, from being with others, or from adequately communicating and endearing ourselves, to those others even when we are around them. If this was not the case, none of us could ever say that we feel "lonely in a crowd" ... no matter where the crowd was, who they were, or the cause for which they gathered.

That is counter-productive, if Nature created loneliness, originally, to make us breed!

Otherwise, those engaging in healthy sex a few times a week, in their lives, would never be able to justify saying that they feel lonely, because Nature would not make them feel lonely if they were hormonically sexually active, unless Nature gets that wrong, also! And, I know several people who qualify in the above and feel horrifically lonely throughout their entire waking days!

Many with healthy sex lives still do feel lonely, whether or not their sex results in baby-making - so Nature got it wrong for that reason, also!

After more than 60 millions of years, Nature created what we are and She still doesn't even understand us! We will never be better than Her prototypes and we can never be perfect! Finding relief from loneliness should not be dependent upon developing parental instincts that were not there (and identifiably so) before.

Ian.

Nature isn't an intelligent force; its simply an useful form to describe the continued processes that help determine which genetic impulses remain within a species. Individuals who have sex may or may not have a temporary relief from a sense of loneliness(my experience is that it certainly does, given some parameters); it certainly provides a kind of 'roadmap' of urgency for those affected and it promotes conditions by which children will appear and thus continue those genes.

The notion that Nature is not fair is silly, it suggests that life needs to be fair, and as we all know, that's a ludicrous concept.

"She" doesn't need to understand anything; there is no real moral judgment to it, nor is happines a goal of evolutionary processes, just what is most effective for the survival of the individual to sexual maturity and reproduction.

Let's just agree to disagree! :) My own view of Nature stands in the area of religion and spiritual interaction and mutual influence! So, we could never agree on this one! Not to worry!

IgnoredOne said:
Nature isn't an intelligent force; its simply an useful form to describe the continued processes that help determine which genetic impulses remain within a species. Individuals who have sex may or may not have a temporary relief from a sense of loneliness(my experience is that it certainly does, given some parameters); it certainly provides a kind of 'roadmap' of urgency for those affected and it promotes conditions by which children will appear and thus continue those genes.

The notion that Nature is not fair is silly, it suggests that life needs to be fair, and as we all know, that's a ludicrous concept.

"She" doesn't need to understand anything; there is no real moral judgment to it, nor is happines a goal of evolutionary processes, just what is most effective for the survival of the individual to sexual maturity and reproduction.

IgnoredOne said:
Nature isn't an intelligent force; its simply an useful form to describe the continued processes that help determine which genetic impulses remain within a species.

Do I smell a debate about the existence of God brewing?

No...

You witnessed the fire of debate being extinguished before it could turn into one!

It's better, this way!

Another person's thread is not for hijacking and arguments about God get participants nowhere - except into more arguments!

Ian.

Well put, Ian. I never considered what loneliness was, but it makes sense it is the absence of something.
Ian Haines said:
Hi...

Loneliness isn't the presence of anything; it's the resultant affective trauma of the absence of something.

Although it could be argued that loneliness is like survival training for a human who might one day have to fight for his life completely alone, somewhere, it's equally important to remember that loneliness isn't really an emotion, by name. Loneliness is the absence of several other emotions and is the flatness and suffering left behind during that absence.

Just as you can't "induce" cold into a thing (you can only remove heat, at varying speeds) you can't "induce" loneliness into a person's life - you can only remove feeling in tune with, and attached to, other humans. My own opinion?...loneliness is worthless, unless you seriously want it, or can find a strong enough need for it.

So, if my periods of loneliness are all down to Nature survival training me, then it's one of the most unhealthy and miserable lessons I've ever had to learn and I feel prepared for absolutely nothing of worth!

Nature! You got it wrong, again! :(

Ian.

Lonliness give you the purpose of being another knotch in her belt..if thats how you want it.

It teaches us, a lot.

In the end, this is what Loneliness has done to me:

1. Made me fit
2. Made me confident
3. Made me have high self-esteem
4. Made me appreciate other people
5. Made me wiser

I still have yet to make friends, but I am feeling confident about it.

Latest posts

Back