What does it feel like, loneliness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ladyforsaken said:
I realise I'm lonely when I talk to myself more often and imagining myself talking to someone. And when I just feel so bored and has no one to interact with.

I have had some of the most amazing conversations with people though when the conversation takes place in my head. :)

blackdot said:
ladyforsaken said:
I realise I'm lonely when I talk to myself more often and imagining myself talking to someone. And when I just feel so bored and has no one to interact with.

I have had some of the most amazing conversations with people though when the conversation takes place in my head. :)

Hah me too :) Especially with people I like and then never see again. If I can't talk to them in reality, I'll at least have a hypothetical relationship with them in my head :p

To me, there are at least two kinds of loneliness. Missing a specific person can make me feel extremely lonely, even if I'm with other people. That kind of loneliness really feels like a hole in your heart, as blackdot said. Then there is another kind of loneliness which feels like being disconnected from the rest of the world, as if I was actually physically separated from others by a wall. It feels as if I was always going to be lonely, even when there are people around me because we will never really understand each other. But that's just what I feel like on a bad day, and luckily it hasn't occurred in quite a while :)

That's an interesting question, and it's actually one of the reasons I haven't been posting lately: I don't think I'm actually lonely, or that I even understand what that means, or how other people feel when they say they're 'lonely'.

I'm an introvert. I like being alone. I don't have friends; I don't want friends. I don't want to go out to parties, or do social things.

I guess my own version of loneliness is realizing that I am alone, in that I'm so very different from most people. I'm autistic, and have trouble relating to others, and other people have trouble relating to me. So I'm just kind of an island to myself.

But it's the only way I can be, so... Honestly, being alone is for the best. If I tried to go against my nature and be more social, I would be miserable.

I'm not sure this is true for everyone, but in some ways I think it's like the notion that 'only boring people ever get bored'. In my case, if I ever feel 'lonely', it's kind of my own fault for failing to engage myself and enjoy my solitude. But I think I'm an extreme case, and most people really do need more social interaction than I do.

blackdot said:
ladyforsaken said:

Agreed! :)

Lua said:
Hah me too :) Especially with people I like and then never see again. If I can't talk to them in reality, I'll at least have a hypothetical relationship with them in my head :p

It helps, in a way to just distract yourself from the actual loneliness. :)

I'm not sure how to explain it. It's a hurtful feeling. Especially when you see others at places like McDonald's or a ball court having lots of fun. Fun that you would give anything to be a part of.:(

Tiina63 said:
For me loneliness is a feeling that I don't matter to anyone, that I am totally alone. Sometimes it makes me feel agitated and almost sick inside. It is like a weight on my chest, crushing me. It is a deep longing to be connected to someone, to be important to someone, to know there is someone on my side, to love and be loved. I feel this way all the time.

I can't really describe my loneliness any better than what Tiina has said....

a black hole, pulsating, reminding me that no one really loved me or will. When I remember that that is not technically true, I can stay with just that pain, it's like a physical pain, a hunger, something extremely important for my organism is missing, and the very few times I manage to spend a nice day with some people it's like the hunger is satiated, for a little while. I am not sure if that hunger exists for everyone, or it is there in me because of all the things I lost or didn't have in childhood and stuff. Sometimes I feel if I managed to just stay with it, even that will be OK, but it hurts like a bad tooth most of the time. It's a constant pain, like a needle in the heart. I wish every day to find a way to make it stop, and don't need others anymore.

To me loneliness is akin to sadness. It's simply painful when realizing that you long for certain people, but you reach out and are ignored. That there are some people with whom you interact, but such interaction is limited because they do other things where you're not included.

It's that feeling that people constantly ask you for help and advice, yet no one asks you how you feel.

Latest posts

Back