What is a boring person?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Case said:
Ymir said:
Well, I think I'm not that boring and it's nearly impossible to get me excited about anything. Unless we talkin' about money :p

I don't think people are boring. I think there are people interested in things I am not interested in, there are people who cannot convey their thoughts very well, there are people who I cannot communicate or reason with. Everyone's interesting in their own way, and no one fits any given label to a T. If you think so, you probably don't know them very well.

^^ Well Said. +1

Exactly! +2

Ok, I'll bite :)

What is a boring person?

A parent who talks about nothing but their children.
Someone who doesn't keep up with current and world events.
No childlike playfulness ever.
Won't try anything new - new food, new music, new book, new neighborhood, etc.
Anyone who lives in a suburb. (Just kidding! Kinda :) )
Me sometimes. But when I feel that way, I get out my violin and play and the boring goes away.

Hope I haven't made too many enemies with that one! :)

-Teresa

Case said:
It's a subjective insult to call someone "boring."

To me, no one is boring. There are people who simply do not connect in one way of another. That doesn't make anyone boring. Just different. However, a person who finds someone or something boring has stopped caring, and in a way is quite selfish in their demands of the people around them.

We can choose to elevate people and their interests, or we can choose to devalue their interests by dismissing them as boring people. These so-called "boring people" have desires, fears, life experiences, and opinions that are no different than anyone else.

I don't have time for boredom, and I've never found anyone to be boring. Maybe disagreeable, maybe even irritating, but never boring. If we can't find people interesting, we are probably short-tempered and have little patience for anything outside our tiny sphere of interest. I would sincerely hate to be that kind of person.
Ymir said:
I don't think people are boring. I think there are people interested in things I am not interested in, there are people who cannot convey their thoughts very well, there are people who I cannot communicate or reason with. Everyone's interesting in their own way, and no one fits any given label to a T. If you think so, you probably don't know them very well.

I feel the same way as the above quoted posts. I don't think anyone is boring, it's also subjective to other people. For them, it might depend on what they find interesting to them, or things they like. And someone who doesn't or can't relate to their interests might be a bore.

I don't think like this though.. even if people talk about stuff that are not of interest to me, I still want to know, I just think that I might learn something from it, about the topic discussed, about them, or about anything else related.

I would however refer to a situation as a bore... like when I really have nothing to do, and don't feel like doing anything at all (yes, this happens) then I would be feeling bored. This is seldom though.

Relative. Boring to me is just people who never want to go beyond small talk or who can't have a serious conversation.

lifestream said:
I'm the same. I would never call a person boring, even if I did find them unstimulating to be around.

I find that people who call others boring are usually nursing a few tedious personality traits themselves, as well as a hefty dose of arrogance. That's something I find incredibly boring in other people, actually - arrogance. It denotes a small mind and a smug attitude to me.

Case said:

To me, no one is boring. There are people who simply do not connect in one way of another. That doesn't make anyone boring. Just different. However, a person who finds someone or something boring has stopped caring, and in a way is quite selfish in their demands of the people around them.

We can choose to elevate people and their interests, or we can choose to devalue their interests by dismissing them as boring people. These so-called "boring people" have desires, fears, life experiences, and opinions that are no different than anyone else.

I don't have time for boredom, and I've never found anyone to be boring. Maybe disagreeable, maybe even irritating, but never boring. If we can't find people interesting, we are probably short-tempered and have little patience for anything outside our tiny sphere of interest. I would sincerely hate to be that kind of person.

Ymir said:
Well, I think I'm not that boring and it's nearly impossible to get me excited about anything. Unless we talkin' about money :p

I agree with these statements. "Boring" is a matter of perspective for each individual. My ex used to call me boring all the time because I wouldn't go to bars and get drunk with him. That's not me being boring, it's me not enjoying the same things he does. He also thought I was boring because I like Opera and Classical music.

I find some THINGS boring, but never the PEOPLE who enjoy those things.

lifestream said:
I'm the same. I would never call a person boring, even if I did find them unstimulating to be around.

TheRealCallie said:

ladyforsaken said:
I don't think like this though.. even if people talk about stuff that are not of interest to me, I still want to know, I just think that I might learn something from it, about the topic discussed, about them, or about anything else related.

I would however refer to a situation as a bore... like when I really have nothing to do, and don't feel like doing anything at all (yes, this happens) then I would be feeling bored. This is seldom though.

^ Ditto.

SophiaGrace said:
Everyone so far has said boring is when two people don't mesh. I disagree. I think boring is when a person is not excitable. They lack emotions, and zest that is infectious....we all have this on some level.

Boring people do not.

Isn't this also subjective to the chemistry between people though?

For example, I live in a region that was predominantly settled by Scandinavians, who have a reputation for being stoic. They generally aren't very excitable, and tend to remain (at least outwardly) calm and unaffected by other people's excitability or emotionality. If anything, they sometimes find it overdone and irritating, or feel pressured by more demonstrative people to overact or feign.

While I've met a number of excitable people, I've only met maybe one or two who I would say had an "infectious zest", lol. But is that because these people really weren't "zesty", or because I'm a stoic person who's relatively unaffected by someone else's zest? And either way, could you not say that this also is about the way two people mesh, rather than one being boring and the other not?

Alma lost her spoon said:
WildernessWildChild said:
Currently trying to keep a muzzle on it....

Such self control-very admirable:)

I guess you missed the deleted post, lol. :p

SofiasMami said:
A parent who talks about nothing but their children.

I have to tip my hat to this one. Maybe if I ever become a mom, I'd understand more. But even then, I know my mom didn't sit and talk about us constantly. I know someone down here who thinks her kids could do no wrong, and that everyone else is supposed to think they're cute as well. She should realize how many eyes roll.

TheRealCallie said:
lifestream said:

I find that people who call others boring are usually nursing a few tedious personality traits themselves, as well as a hefty dose of arrogance. That's something I find incredibly boring in other people, actually - arrogance. It denotes a small mind and a smug attitude to me.

Case said:

Ymir said:

I agree with these statements. "Boring" is a matter of perspective for each individual. My ex used to call me boring all the time because I wouldn't go to bars and get drunk with him. That's not me being boring, it's me not enjoying the same things he does. He also thought I was boring because I like Opera and Classical music.

liking opera and classical music makes you interesting in my book.
Talking about music, a boring person would just like the current group who are doing well or whatever.

WildernessWildChild said:
Alma lost her spoon said:
Are you feeling ok there WWC?

Maybe you need a bit of a lie down lol

Currently trying to keep a muzzle on it....

just say what your opinion is. Why not ?

Triple Bogey said:
TheRealCallie said:
lifestream said:

Case said:

Ymir said:

Talking about music, a boring person would just like the current group who are doing well or whatever.

Yeah, but see, that's where your judgments are going to be wrong. I like current popular stuff also.
My tastes in music run from classical to rap to country and everything in between. It's not uncommon for me to go from listing to the current pop music to listening to stuff from the 50's or even opera written centuries ago.

Judging someone on their taste in music shouldn't be done. Everyone has their own tastes and unless you know them inside and out, you can't know WHY they listen to what they listen to. I'm not saying there aren't people out there who listen to music ONLY because it's popular and current and everyone likes it...trying to get a "status upgrade" if you will, but most of the time, you can't know.

TheRealCallie said:
Triple Bogey said:
TheRealCallie said:
lifestream said:

Case said:

Ymir said:

Yeah, but see, that's where your judgments are going to be wrong. I like current popular stuff also.
My tastes in music run from classical to rap to country and everything in between. It's not uncommon for me to go from listing to the current pop music to listening to stuff from the 50's or even opera written centuries ago.

Judging someone on their taste in music shouldn't be done. Everyone has their own tastes and unless you know them inside and out, you can't know WHY they listen to what they listen to. I'm not saying there aren't people out there who listen to music ONLY because it's popular and current and everyone likes it...trying to get a "status upgrade" if you will, but most of the time, you can't know.

I thought you would argue with me.
I think I am entitled to an opinion which is some people are boring. Not naming names of course ! :)

Um, last I checked, I wasn't arguing. I'm pointing out something that may have escaped your notice.

This isn't the first time that you are wrong about claiming I'm arguing with you. It's like you are trying to pick fights with me. I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion, now did I?

Triple Bogey said:
ringwood said:
Can you two just agree to disagree? Sheesh...

I tried to be nice :)

She's only commenting on what was said, dude. Holy hell, calm down. Stop thinking that just because someone disagrees with you that they're out to get you. She's got a right to comment on something just as you do.

VanillaCreme said:
Triple Bogey said:
ringwood said:

She's only commenting on what was said, dude. Holy hell, calm down. Stop thinking that just because someone disagrees with you that they're out to get you. She's got a right to comment on something just as you do.

It's the choice of words between both parties that causes friction. As I said, agreeing to disagree is probably the best option here...

Wasn't the whole point of this thread for people to give THEIR opinion on what THEY thought was boring? Not for people to criticize others opinions? Let's just keep it at that, just because one person finds something boring isn't an invitation for others to nit pick at it if they don't feel the same way.

VanillaCreme said:
Triple Bogey said:
ringwood said:

I was joking

Latest posts

Back