What is a boring person?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sci-Fi said:
Wasn't the whole point of this thread for people to give THEIR opinion on what THEY thought was boring? Not for people to criticize others opinions? Let's just keep it at that, just because one person finds something boring isn't an invitation for others to nit pick at it if they don't feel the same way.

Yeah I have noticed in this thread that if you say something that people don't agree with, and doesn't go with what the majority of people are saying, it gets torn down and criticized. I see this in other threads too (or a sentiment very nearly to it). It actually makes me feel weird to be the odd-one out saying what I think, and then everyone else agreeing with each other and putting others down.

I actually don't want to hear that everyone agrees with each other, I want to hear people's actual opinions, divirgent as they may be. If you disagree, fine (please tell me why and give a good argument), but one opinion isn't worth more than another's, IMO. Everyone should respect each other's worldview.

This thread gave me an idea. I've been reading a lot of self-improvement stuff over these last couple years, since 2012 or so and a consistent idea that's come up is this - focus on what you want, not on what you don't. The people we see as "having it all" or "winners" do so by thinking about what they want, not what they don't. "I want to be healthy", NOT "I don't want to be fat anymore".

It makes me think - we've talked all kinds of ideas on what a boring person is. So I have a few questions for you.

What is an interesting person?

How does one become an interesting person?

Do any of you think you are interesting and if so, why?

If you feel, or have felt in the past that you were boring, did you or do you try to become interesting? What did you do?

What does "interesting" mean to you, as it pertains to members of the opposite sex? What's an interesting woman? What's an interesting man? I'm trying to just focus on personality aspects with this - I realize looks may help but for the sake of the question I'll treat physical appearance as a separate attribute.

I realize these aren't questions that will have one answer. I just want to shift the focus away from what a boring person is, to what makes a person interesting and how to become interesting, if you think you are having trouble with that. I know I am. We've talked about the problem so now let's hear some solutions.

I apologize. =/ I didn't mean to be critical of anyone else's perspective, I just wanted to have a discussion about what it meant to be boring. It was a matter of curiosity for me, nothing more.

TheSkaFish said:
I just want to shift the focus away from what a boring person is, to what makes a person interesting and how to become interesting, if you think you are having trouble with that.

Perhaps you could start your own thread if you'd like to shift focus?

TheSkaFish said:
What is an interesting person?

Well, I think an interesting person is someone who challenges my thoughts without shooting down my ideas and disrespecting my opinions. Someone who can entertain the thoughts of others without feeling like they're being forced to accept them, if you will. My cousin was talking earlier about how he loves a good debate, but doesn't really come across much worth debating about. I'd have to agree with him.

Solivagant said:
I apologize. =/ I didn't mean to be critical of anyone else's perspective, I just wanted to have a discussion about what it meant to be boring. It was a matter of curiosity for me, nothing more.

I don't think you were critical. I just think some people tend to take things too personally.

Let's get this back on track...

There have been numerous times where I have labeled myself as boring. By common standards that's not even wrong. On one hand it's clearly about my interests and on the other hand it's about my personality and the way I pursue these interests. I don't like to go out much, I play a lot of singleplayer games, I prefer to listen to music all by myself and so on. I'm hardly excitable for anything (even my hobbies) and I'm not making a big deal out of it.

I think of gossip as horribly boring and I find the majority of my classmates' definition of "having a good time" (drinking a lot and acting all crazy and "random") not only boring but very questionable as well. But since everything is subjective anyway these people are just as boring (or bland) to me as I am to them. Which is perfectly fine by me.

A person is to some extent defined by his or her interests. And a certain "unexcitability" is probably going to worsen the perceived boredom a person exudes to others. But that's all in my head.

I won't judge others in that way. But I consider myself to be one boring person. I don't know how to keep a conversation flowing, and I throw these silly random thoughts out there...People tend to back away from me lol. It seems like I can get a spark out of people for a couple months, and then I don't know how to keep things spiced up. :club:

JustSomeGal said:
It seems like I can get a spark out of people for a couple months, and then I don't know how to keep things spiced up. :club:

That's exactly the problem I have. I don't know why or what I can do about it. The only thing I can think of is that I'm not constantly taking in new interesting information or doing new interesting things to talk about. I can get people interested and really interacting with me for a few months, sometimes very intensely and for a very long time. But eventually it always fizzles out. I really hate that and I'd like to know what I need to do to stop this from repeating over and over again. It's really frustrating.

If boring is used as a pejorative - it doesn't have to be - it seems to mean lacking in charisma, intelligence, or adequate life experience to be considered interesting by others.

A boring person in my opinion - and this is coming from someone very boring- talks without making their opinions or experiences easy for the listener to relate to.

I find politics sort of boreing although the middle east stuff is somewhat interesting, and history bores me, and conversations about things i find shallow like… how so ******* wasted dude you were at the party man and that chick you picked up was smoking yo… WTF ever, f -off and get a job.

A liberal homogenized pop culture blob vomiting on about how unique random and cool they are in their Chuck Taylors and thick rimmed black glasses, terrified to have an opinion that differs from the rest of the hive.

I've always found "the cool people" to be incredibly boring. All they are interested in is drinking, sports, gambling, electronic dance music and rap, and probably marijuana. None of that stuff interests me in the slightest. I usually don't reject facebook requests from people I know and as a result I am "friends" with a few of them, and I remember just looking to see what they were about because I never really knew what made them so "cool" and I wanted to figure it out. Sure enough, it's all of the aforementioned things - pictures of them at shows of the music I described, pictures of them in various bars, pictures of gambling, and incessant sports talk. In fact, all they really say is whatever is going on with whatever sport is in season - never anything about their own life, presumably because they have nothing to say other than "blah blah blah sports, let's go get wasted".

And yet, these people don't, nor have they ever had, any trouble getting a girlfriend when they wanted one. Of course, I'm not interested in the kinds of girls they like anyway because they like the same things that I don't care about. But I can't for the life of me see the appeal.

A boring person is someone who doesn't question the way things are and who just goes with the flow and doesn't stand out from the norm.

Latest posts

Back