What is a, "Friend?"

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satchel421

Reaction score
I'm curious to what everyone thinks a friend is.

I think a friend is someone who you care about, and would help through hard times, as well as add to their easy and fun times. Of course, they'd do the same for you. A friend isn't someone you have to see often, so long as when you do see them, you enjoy the time you spend with them. There is no such thing as a, "Best Friend." You are either a friend, or you're not; no friend is better than another friend.

I mainly bring this up because there are people in my class who say they are my friends, but they never talk to me, or communicate with me in anyway. I think that they are complete retards....

So, what do you think a friend is?

My definition of "friend" is pretty simple: Someone that I can rely upon to keep me company when I feel lonely. With exception given for some personal circumstances. (i.e. my friend who just had a baby - in this situation the burden of the definition falls more upon me)

Key words are "rely upon" and "company."

A coworker referred to me and her as "friends" in an email one time. This annoyed me because I thought: The only personal thing that I can rely on you for is to sub for me when I need a day off. To give her credit, I can also rely on her to acknowledge my birthday. And she's a nice girl to work with. But she doesn't fit my criteria for "friend."

For this situation I've created the category of "work-friend." These are coworkers that you get along with and maybe have seen once or twice outside of work.

As far as "best friends," I think that there are varying degrees of friendship, ranging from vague goodwill to having the ability to speak extremely personally to one another without fear of judgement.

A friend is somebody who you give a little of yourself to and get a little of them in return. Somebody you have respect for, somebody who you want to be around and somebody you feel comfortable with.

As I've got older I've realised friends come and go. Not because of any falling out. Just because our lives move in different directions. Trying to force a friendship to continue when people have changed jobs and homes and found girlfriends and wives is virtually impossible. Then again, I don't really have friends any more. They've all found their own lives and I just don't have the time to do things with other people. There are old friends who, from time to time, I've met up with for some reason and it's been almost like old times. But virtually everyone from my past now reminds me of my ex, so I feel like crap just hearing from them.

What is a, "Fiend?"

crypt-fiend.jpg

i saw a thing posted on the mens health forums, and i think that in my opinion of friendships, it's pretty true.

men have 3 types of friends, and it's all trust related

1) the lowest: The friend you can trust to at least show up to happy hour
2) the middle: The friend you can trust to make it to tee time ON time (golf)
3) the closest: The friend you could trust to help you move/hide a dead body.

While it certainly doesnt cover every scenario, i think it rings pretty true.

I would agree with what others describe a "friend" as, so I just wanna comment on the "best friend" issue lol.

Personally I would say that a "best friend" is that one friend who knows you better than anyone else.
The one who really would walk through fire for you, if you know what I mean.
The one who you feel a connection with greater than anyone else.

It's like that for many people. There's casual friends, there's good friends,
and then there's that one person you just seem to really "click" with.
Other people will really "click" with maybe all of their friends. It's all individual I guess.

I consider my partner to be my best friend, because there's no one else I can imagine having a greater connection with.
Apart from my clone, Oceanmist24..
ZeFace2.png

ya it's really pretty lame how a lot of people it's like they're friend posers, they want to be everyone's friend
but the problem is they confuse aquantance or hey i know you as friend
it's becuase there is no real line for a friend

when you date someone you ask will you go out with me and if they say yes
then you are a couple

no one really says will you be my friend?

it just kinda happens after a few good conversations

with any relationship you have to be in a close proximity to one another
without being able to see one another easily or you will drift and the friend will become an inconvience

my definition for a friend is pretty simple
someone who hangs out with you and wants to hang out with you or talks to you and wants to talk to you.

there's no use in having a hundred friends if your stuck home alone on a friday night

:(

A friend is someone who is interested enough and patient enough to take the time to know and understand you. Or makes time to try.

I guess that is what would distinguish a friendly acquaintence.

Everyone has flaws; no one is perfect.
A friend is someone who doesn't expect you to be perfect or someone who recognizes your flaws and tries to fix them.
A friend accepts the bad things about you and can even love them, while loving the good things about you.

& I think that's a hard friend to find.

For me, a friend is someone who understands, someone I can be my true self around. Most importantly, a dear friend is someone you can laugh with and cry with, someone you feel close with even if you are not saying a word.

I've had "friends" come and go in my life, but there's one who has stayed, she knows me better than anybody else, she is my dear friend and I love her. She stuck around, and she cared.

I would say that a friend is someone willing to expend time and energy on you without wanting something from you other than company, respect, and trust.

Friends are a rare thing.

I think the reason we're lonely is because we expect too much from a "friend." I never considered anyone a friend because I never connected with anyone in the way I thought "friends" should, but if I look back I guess I did meet a few people who most people would've called "friends." I agree with evanescencefan91: a friend is "someone who hangs out with you and wants to hang out with you or talks to you and wants to talk to you."

someone that wont ignore you because all the other people ignore you.
someone that wont use you for money, or popularity.
someone that would make you feel better about yourself, instead of putting you down.

i wish i had a friend...

Friends wont judge you. Friends wont make you choose between other friends. Friends wont use you for personal gain. Friends WANT to be around you. Friends are interested in what you have to say. Friends support you. Friends stick by yourside no matter how bad the situation is. If a friend is concerned about what you may be doing, friends will confront and tell you what they are feeling. Friends keep NO secrets. Friends dont lie to other friends. Friends lend a shoulder to cry on. And last of all, friends have fun with each other.

Latest posts

Back