What is most INSPIRING to you?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inspire

Reaction score
It can be a person, place, thing, event, anything! What do you find most inspiring?​

My biggest inspiration is my friend who lives far away. She is battling 5 rare and deadly diseases, and she goes through the worst pain and suffering... yet is the most cheerful, thankful and understanding person I have ever met. I thank my life every day for even knowing her existence, even more for being a close friend of hers.

50 years ago, at the height of the Cuban Missile Crisis, second-in-command Vasilli Arkhipov of the Soviet submarine B-59 refused to agree with his Captain's order to launch nuclear torpedos against US warships and setting off what might well have been a terminal superpower nuclear war.

The US had been dropping depth charges near the submarine in an attempt to force it to surface, unaware it was carrying nuclear arms. The Soviet officers, who had lost radio contact with Moscow, concluded that World War 3 had begun, and 2 of the officers agreed to 'blast the warships out of the water'. Arkhipov refused to agree - unanimous consent of 3 officers was required - and thanks to him our beautiful world is still alive. Yet he died relatively unknown.

Also this passage. I don't remember the exact story behind it, but I think the father was terminally ill and left this for his two children.

Find something that fully engages your mind. And your heart. For that is the way to happiness.

Push harder. Do better. Never give into complacency. Be wide-ranging in your interests, and decisive in your judgments. Give every opportunity the benefit of the doubt. Always go the distance. And don't buy uncomfortable shoes.

Think for yourself. Be realistic, but not pessimistic. Listen.

Do not let shyness rob you of pleasure. But be careful when you are the center of attention, the light there is blinding.

Do not lie, cheat, or steal, even when everyone else in the country is.

There are no known, predetermined, absolute values. We create our own morality. A good person judges his actions by the effects they will have on others, and by estimating the result if everyone behaved the same way.

Don't look for the meaning of life. Supply it.

Return your calls, and answer your mail. This alone will set you apart, as many people are either too rude or too disorganized to practice this simple courtesy.

To be born into this country of freedom and opportunity, but with a disability that renders both outside your grasp, may be the cruelest trick that fate can play on an infant. You have no disabilities. Always remember that.

A heart never heals, but it does get stronger.

Wonderful examples, Will! Thank you so much for replying to this thread.

That story above is a piece of history I honestly did by know about. Now I do. Beautiful.

"To be born into this country of freedom and opportunity, but with a disability that renders both outside your grasp, may be the cruelest trick that fate can play on an infant. You have no disabilities. Always remember that."
I wish I could share this quote with my friend fighting with her diseases, but I don't know how she would take it. I love the quote, though. I may even put that on my mirror to remind myself I am not stupid, unintelligent, whatever I'm feeling.

"There are no known, predetermined, absolute values. We create our own morality. A good person judges his actions by the effects they will have on others, and by estimating the result if everyone behaved the same way."
^ This!!! I live this as well, and might have to memorize this by heart. These are all wonderful.

People who go through real painful hardship but still able to walk ahead, with the bruises, wounds and blisters and still able to find some positivity in life.

I already know a few on this forum who fit this description. You would know who you are, and those I don't know yet, you too would be an inspiration to me.

I salute you guys.

Someone i once knew. She taught me alot that my mother/parents should've taught me.

Unintentionally though. We were friends, not parent-kid. I don't think she realised what she meant to me, or means.

It's been only about half a year i have known her, and it's been about 2 and a half years since i last spoke to her.

Most amazing time of my life, i think.

My mom. She knows what is to be at the bottom but still live a normal life, feed children, go to work... even with the illness and possible death. Now she is healthy and some of her dreams have come true. She is my true inspiration. :')

My wife. She always did the right thing, and was always there for people in need. When she was alive she inspired me to be a better man. She passed away a few years ago, and I'm not the same good person that I'd like to be anymore. But whenever I'm not sure what the right thing to do is, I ask myself what she would do.

Locke said:
My wife. She always did the right thing, and was always there for people in need. When she was alive she inspired me to be a better man. She passed away a few years ago, and I'm not the same good person that I'd like to be anymore. But whenever I'm not sure what the right thing to do is, I ask myself what she would do.

Oh Locke *hugs*

ladyforsaken said:
Locke said:

Oh Locke *hugs*

That reminds me: People on this forum who are always willing to listen and offer advice also inspire me. I'm happier since I started posting here regularly. I still have bad days and more than a few problems, but I don't feel so alone anymore.

Just wanted to say thank you for that. :)

I am REALLY loving the responses here. Keep them coming, even if you are re-posting on this thread! People need to smile and discover new inspirations- things like this get me through the day, an it might for you, too! :)

ladyforsaken said:
People who go through real painful hardship but still able to walk ahead, with the bruises, wounds and blisters and still able to find some positivity in life.

I already know a few on this forum who fit this description. You would know who you are, and those I don't know yet, you too would be an inspiration to me.

I salute you guys.

Beautiful response. These are the people who also inspire me to keep going everyday, and help me in my darkest hours.

Rosebolt said:
Someone i once knew. She taught me alot that my mother/parents should've taught me.

Unintentionally though. We were friends, not parent-kid. I don't think she realised what she meant to me, or means.

It's been only about half a year i have known her, and it's been about 2 and a half years since i last spoke to her.

Most amazing time of my life, i think.

Oh wow, I can actually totally relate to that. I had who I considered as my best friend- we met online and talked almost every day on Skype, when we could. Our timezones were completely opposite. We forced ourselves to have a falling out, because he had found a girl he wanted to date and she was getting incredibly jealous of he and I talking every day. I told him I shouldn't talk to him anymore, because I wanted him to have a happy future with her. I had heard from an mutual friend of ours that he is now engaged to her, and I am happy for him... And no matter what, he is still my best friend in my heart.

crazy women in 1800s who made the world tour on a bike or jumped down the Niagara falls in a barrel to reinvent themselves. People who start their lives all over again at 60 and over, those couples who get married at 100 something years of age and act like there is a future. Guys without arms and legs who are quite happy. My family, who daily inspires me never to become like them.

My mother is the most inspiring personality for me. She is an embodiment of love, care and patience. She is a very humble and down to earth lady. Whatever misery comes her way, she always tolerate that with patence. She even forgives those who do bad with her.

One of the best inspirations for me has to be Rick and Dick Hoyt, if you look for them on You tube there is about a 4 minute video. I try and watch it everyday to remind me, I still cry all the way through it. Right You tube here I come :).

When I say 4 min video look for the My Redeemer :).

Locke said:

Wow. This inspires me. Just reading your words and knowing that a human is capable of such a strong and powerful love inspires me not to give up hope on humanity. Your wife was a very lucky lady.

organicNYgirl said:
Locke said:

Wow. This inspires me. Just reading your words and knowing that a human is capable of such a strong and powerful love inspires me not to give up hope on humanity. Your wife was a very lucky lady.

That is very kind of you to say, thank you! :)

In the last couple years, what has inspired me the most is the charge at Beersheva during WW1, by the Australian 4th Light Horse Brigade (then of the army of Great Britain). It was done in 1917 as part of the overall efforts to roll back Turko-German forces in Palestine. The lighthorsemen charged in three squadrons, spread out, across more than 1,200 yards of desert, at the Turkish lines--which had riflemen, a few machine gun emplacements, & a line of artillery behind that. It was the last feat of arms by cavalry in modern times--& it worked. For unconventionality (given the context), elan, & sheer testicular fortitude, those Aussies at Beersheva wrote the book on it. There was a movie made about it...The Lighthorsemen. There weren't that many details changed from the true event, compared to most Hollywood reconstructions. I highly recommend reading up on it.

Latest posts

Back