What is your religion or spiritual beliefs? This is not a debate!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

ScorpioIris

I just want people to share their beliefs. Im atheist. I don't believe in anything supernatural/spiritual. I don't have a bias towards any religion/religious people. I'm not a militant atheist. What I do believe in is the advancement of the human race and that one day we will discover exactly where we came from.

Sorry people, didn't see kaviii's thread. LOL

I don't know what I am, but I know what I would like to be: a Christian philosopher.

I'm not religious but spiritual.
I was rasied with christain beliefs
I've only recently within the past couple of year started reserching or read on budahism.

I beliving in HP, a divine intelligent, the ultimate consious, universal law (power of the universe)

I belive in science and religion combine..both just have a different ways of defining what humans
or man kind is capiable of understanding.

In this way I'm also willing to educate myself from different perspective, conceptions, or ideas,
to expand my consiousness or awareness. In other words stay openminded, stay willing to
learn, grow, expand my consiousness ,expand my knowlege, expand my awarness.

I belive that we are all , everyone one of us are a part of that...LIFE or that power.
I belive that all of us have to capibilty of the powers ourselve.
It is only though our lack of understand or comprehension that we havn't evolved to accept of whom we turely are.
I belive everyone of us is capiable of being just like Jesus , mohamed, Budah or many other teachers.
I don't belive there's good or evil ...or that divine Power plays favor. That power or universe law is aviliable to all.
Wheather we use that power to dystroy ourselves or better ouselves is of our own chioce as indiviual,
race, or mankind as a whole.

I belive we came from it...we are of it and we are in it.

I belive in order for us to live in a better world...me must learn to better ourselve as indiviuals first.

I don't belive we die or go into no where...there's no such thing as nowhere.
I belive we just change forms...as atoms change forms.

I'm a Christian.

4.gif
Jesus-Rocks-Poster-C10298700.jpeg

EveWasFramed said:
Please note: This is NOT a debate thread.

I know it's not a debate thread, I just wanted to state it again because I've gotten into some pretty heated debates about religion without the intent of doing so. I just happens sometime and I am new to this site and not sure how others would react.

I don't follow any organized religion. I was raised Catholic to some extent but my parents were relatively non-practicing and never forced it on me. I might go to church twice a year on a busy year. I also went to a Catholic elementary school but that had more to do with the fact that schools in my neighborhood were awful.

I think all organized religions are tools to scare or control people. Yet I have no problem with religious people. Just don't force it on me.

For now, I believe in Azathoth. As in, "the ancient legends of Ultimate Chaos, at whose center sprawls the blind idiot god Azathoth, Lord of All Things, encircled by his flopping horde of mindless and amorphous dancers, and lulled by the thin monotonous piping of a demonic flute held in nameless paws."

OK, not really. I don't particularily believe in anything, but the idea of an all powerful being who happens to be a complete idiot is the best idea I've heard yet. It would explain a lot.

Used to be agnostic, but I think more and more I am atheist.

I tend to not much care for any religion that believes in supernatural beings. It results in people doing crazy things and blaming it on a little voice, that is just in their head, that told them to and lets them think it is their god. Lets people believe in things that are a total fantasy. Pushes people to follow and believe in a sort of divine leadership even when the leadership is obviously corrupt, stupid, or ignorant. Helps them justify killing another religion because it is supposedly misguiding people more then their own religion is.

I honestly think more often then not religion gets in the way of rational solutions to problems. That it tends to lead people to have no incentive to really understand the world around them since they can simply think, “god did it”, “god will protect me”, "god will guide me", things of that nature. That discussion about how people should help others is nothing compared to joining a club and actually physically doing something. Where churches may help sometimes, clubs and organizations are more likely to actually do something whenever they meet. Where churches often suck up money to simply continue their own corrupt and greedy existence.

I think it is disturbing how people pray regardless of the fact that prayer actually isn’t any different then waving a floppy stick around and trying to cast a magic spell. That people actually think they are doing anything, but talking to themselves. Which I have no problem with thinking out-loud, as long as people know they are the only one who hears it.

I think it is insulting for people to believe that humanity can only be good if there is some all powerful god who created us. When even the animal kingdom shows one another kindnesses, with most of the more intelligent animals being the better examples.

I think it is interesting to study mythology from different cultures and see just how much of what is written in regards to modern religions was directly stolen from the older beliefs that surounded them.

It would make sense to me to just believe in the golden rule or some other philosophical belief that is of equal value and throw away bibles, Korans, and anything else of a similar nature. It is disturbing how many people worship these books. I think worship in general is disgusting. To me, any one or any thing that wants to be worshiped borders on evil.

I believe in evolution and that man is descended from apes. As proven by our genetic similarity. That said there is a great deal of corruption in science and many people claim things are science that are not. There is a great deal of misunderstanding of what science is and I think it is disgusting for anyone to worship science or look to science for any sort of moral guidance. Knowledge is merely a way to accomplish a goal.

I recently watched a really good documentary that gets to the heart of some of these issues. --dont post link to that website--

If anyone wants a few laughs there is a nice collection of very rational individuals debunking creationism on youtube.

ScorpioIris said:
EveWasFramed said:
Please note: This is NOT a debate thread.

I know it's not a debate thread, I just wanted to state it again because I've gotten into some pretty heated debates about religion without the intent of doing so. I just happens sometime and I am new to this site and not sure how others would react.

lol, I wasn't aiming my little disclaimer at you. :p
It was only reminding other members of this not being a debate thread. We had/have a few members who sometimes derail a thread by turning it into a debate, so I merely issued a slight warning - a preemptive one, if you will. :D

Has anyone noticed a correlation between age groups and religion/anti-religion beliefs on this forum and also in life?

Pasha Selim said:
Has anyone noticed a correlation between age groups and religion/anti-religion beliefs on this forum and also in life?

Maybe we should have a poll on that. I'm 35 and an atheist. I wasn't always an atheist. If I'd been here when I was 20 I would have said something vague about believing in a higher power.

ScorpioIris said:
I just want people to share their beliefs. Im atheist. I don't believe in anything supernatural/spiritual. I don't have a bias towards any religion/religious people. I'm not a militant atheist. What I do believe in is the advancement of the human race and that one day we will discover exactly where we came from.

I am interested in one thing about your post.
If your an atheist then how do you expect you well discover where the human race come from?

I don't practice any religion cos I think there all a crock of shite.

I do think/hope that when I pass from this world there is something amazingly good waiting for me on the other side. I don't know why I think this. Maybe its a thing I make myself believe just to get fro the crap down here or maybe its something deeper. I suppose like everyone else I well discover what is there all in good time.

Nyktimos said:
Pasha Selim said:

Maybe we should have a poll on that. I'm 35 and an atheist. I wasn't always an atheist. If I'd been here when I was 20 I would have said something vague about believing in a higher power.

Interesting that you noticed that. I think its cos you don't take peoples word for things when you get older and need moor prof on things in order to believe. You become moor sceptical.

Bluey said:
Interesting that you noticed that. I think its cos you don't take peoples word for things when you get older and need moor prof on things in order to believe. You become moor sceptical.

It's not skepticism, it's apathy. When you get older you just stop caring about these things. When you get older and you have what-can-pass-as a life, you don't have the luxury to think whether you really believe in God like you did in your teens and in your 20s. Most people just live off what their mind has made up about religion back in their 20s (which is generally how BAD, BAD, BAD it is)... until they hit a mid-life crisis or something.

As a 5-year old at Sunday school I saw a picture of Christ on a cross in between two other crosses against a background of a blood red sky and it scared the honeysuckle out of me. I was informed that this man had died for me and this has coloured my thinking for years. I believed that anyone who wasnt't a Christian had to be evil. However, recently I have had the misfortune (or maybe good fortune) to work for a woman who calls herself a Christian - she is a Consultant Psychiatrist and thought it was a good idea to stop patients'medication and tell them to go along the mad Church where she worships and get healed - and she is the most evil person I have ever met (a racist and a bully) and looking back I see that a lot of people I've met who are Christians are very nasty people so I guess I' ve stopped believing in all that now. Right now, I don't believe in anything. The only spirit I can count on is vodka (sad, but low in calories!)

The Depressed Shmoo said:
As a 5-year old at Sunday school I saw a picture of Christ on a cross in between two other crosses against a background of a blood red sky and it scared the honeysuckle out of me. I was informed that this man had died for me and this has coloured my thinking for years. I believed that anyone who wasnt't a Christian had to be evil. However, recently I have had the misfortune (or maybe good fortune) to work for a woman who calls herself a Christian - she is a Consultant Psychiatrist and thought it was a good idea to stop patients'medication and tell them to go along the mad Church where she worships and get healed - and she is the most evil person I have ever met (a racist and a bully) and looking back I see that a lot of people I've met who are Christians are very nasty people so I guess I' ve stopped believing in all that now. Right now, I don't believe in anything. The only spirit I can count on is vodka (sad, but low in calories!)

Too bad it's the biggest religion in the world :(.

Forget about the Muslims with their beheadings, stoning of homosexuals, appaling treatment of women etc, or the Sikhs with their honor killings, and even the Buddhists killing in the name of Buddha (all happening today), the Christians are most definitely the ones to watch out for :p

EDIT: I'm a Christian.

Ok, the title of this thread isn't "Which religion aren't you, and why?".

Keep it on topic, and in the spirit of the thread, or your posts will be deleted. :p

Latest posts

Back