What Keeps You Going in Life?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jently said:
^ ^ ^

Now that does sound interesting. Care to share?
I guess I've always wanted life to be Teleological and for there to be some absolute truth I could reach. Seems pretty difficult to maintain that outlook though.

Youth.
When a person is young, he still has hope, because there is a future awaiting. Several possibilities ahead, a long life to be lived. And thus we develop expectations on how our life should be. That keeps us going.

Yukongirl said:
Self delusion

Deliberate self delusion has kept me going for a lot of years.  But it didn't lead anywhere and it's a habit I'm trying to get out of.... So every day I try to accomplish enough to make the day worthwhile and AT THE SAME TIME, try to enjoy enough of the day, to get enough contentment, to make the day worthwhile.

So I've got two main goals....some accomplishment and some contentment.  Ideally, the same activity does both.

constant stranger said:
Yukongirl said:
Self delusion

Deliberate self delusion has kept me going for a lot of years.  But it didn't lead anywhere and it's a habit I'm trying to get out of.... So every day I try to accomplish enough to make the day worthwhile and AT THE SAME TIME, try to enjoy enough of the day, to get enough contentment, to make the day worthwhile.

So I've got two main goals....some accomplishment and some contentment.  Ideally, the same activity does both.
That sounds like a good plan of action, finding something that would accomplish that seems somewhat more challenging. Worth considering though, currently at a loss...

Yukongirl said:
constant stranger said:
Yukongirl said:
Self delusion

That sounds like a good plan of action, finding something that would accomplish that seems somewhat more challenging. Worth considering though, currently at a loss...
I've found a few activities that fit the bill......but they're mostly fairly trivial.  Still, if they get me through the day and I'm more glad that I lived the day than I am regretful of having lived it and I got something done as well.....I guess it's OK then.
If that makes any sense.

constant stranger said:
Yukongirl said:
constant stranger said:
Yukongirl said:
Self delusion

I've found a few activities that fit the bill......but they're mostly fairly trivial.  Still, if they get me through the day and I'm more glad that I lived the day than I am regretful of having lived it and I got something done as well.....I guess it's OK then.
If that makes any sense.

It makes perfect sense, and if the activities you've found do that for you then they are so trivial really. It's the glass half full approach....

@ Yukongirl & anyone else who might be interested.

This thread has me dwelling on what I've always accepted as "normal", which is basically for me that there's always going to be something wrong.  It's a bad thing to accept because why do anything if there's always going to be something wrong?  Then the years go by with me deluding myself that nothing I ever do will be quite right, so I get in the habit of starting but not finishing things, or doing things half-heartedly and giving up 'cause it'd just end up wrong anyway.  Meanwhile I've got a bad habit of reliving the past but fantasizing the events the way I wish they'd have been. 

So what am I gonna do in 20 years time?  Relive 2017 but fantasize it the way I wished it would have been?  What am I gonna think about when I'm facing my own death?  Kind of late then to do anything right.....wouldn't even be able to die well 'cause I'd be so full of regrets.

I'd better make a "normal" now that's a little more optimistic.  I guess I gotta choose for things to be more right than they are wrong. 
Or something like that.
:cool:

constant stranger said:
@ Yukongirl & anyone else who might be interested.

This thread has me dwelling on what I've always accepted as "normal", which is basically for me that there's always going to be something wrong.  It's a bad thing to accept because why do anything if there's always going to be something wrong?  Then the years go by with me deluding myself that nothing I ever do will be quite right, so I get in the habit of starting but not finishing things, or doing things half-heartedly and giving up 'cause it'd just end up wrong anyway.  Meanwhile I've got a bad habit of reliving the past but fantasizing the events the way I wish they'd have been. 

So what am I gonna do in 20 years time?  Relive 2017 but fantasize it the way I wished it would have been?  What am I gonna think about when I'm facing my own death?  Kind of late then to do anything right.....wouldn't even be able to die well 'cause I'd be so full of regrets.

I'd better make a "normal" now that's a little more optimistic.  I guess I gotta choose for things to be more right than they are wrong. 
Or something like that.
:cool:
It sounds like you are an introspective, reflective and healthy path to a more postive way of thinking.  It's not easy, but it does work.   :)  sometimes with repetition, time, patience and kindness to yourself being paramount.  It's my personal opinion that in this life there are victims and there are suvivors.  Victims reflect on their life and say to themselves " look at all of these awful things that have happened to me" and use it as a reason to stay stuck.  Survivors look at everything difficult that has happened in their life and say " Wow - look at everything that I have been through....and here I am.  I'm still standing!"   I believe that you are a survivor CS.  One day at a time, one foot in front of the other.....keep with the positive reflections.

Love, for some reason. Sometimes for myself, I have to drag myself through like I would drag a suffering friend.

Sometimes for others. Knowing that even in the smallest way, whether it's by giving someone change or holding a door open or doing a random act of kindness, whether online or in the real world - knowing I can make a small difference to someone, make someone's day just a little brighter.

The knowledge that there is more of this kindness in the world than you might think. And the hope that it's actually more abundant.

constant stranger said:
Somebody else depends on me to manage everything.
Besides that I hate my life.
Maybe things will get better if I just keep on going.

You poor thing. You need to muster the courage to change your circumstances to better fulfill yourself. It's the hardest thing in the World to do and sometimes life changes things for us. Keep your chin up

Latest posts

Back